ImageImage

Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season - Rodgers Poll Added

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

How does the Rodgers Saga Play Out This Offseason?

Rodgers Retires
3%
Rodgers is the Packers QB in 2023
22%
Traded to Raiders
24%
Traded to Jets
45%
Traded to another team (specific in a post which one)
6%

Total votes: 88

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,268

Re: Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season - Rodgers Poll Added 

Post#1781 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:07 pm

There are zero positives to Rodgers being back for the long-term outlook of this team, so I have no clue why anyone would root for that unless they are an AR fan over a Packer fan.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,958

Post#1782 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:08 pm

Just to add something I kind of always forget is how young Jordan Love is. He's 24 and won't turn 25 until November. If he shows he can our guy, he has a lot of runway as a player. He is younger than all these guys (some he is very close in age):

Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Kyler Murray
Jalen Hurts
Kenny Pickett
Mac Jones (please be better than Mac Jones)

He's also not that much older than Justin Fields and some guys who just came into the league like Brock Purdy or Desmond Ridder.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#1783 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:09 pm

I was fine with the idea of drafting a QB of the future, but I thought Love was a huge reach. I don't understand how any starting NFL QB can struggle that badly against such weak competition in his last year of college, and even his great year in college was against still worse competition. That doesn't mean he won't be good, but I didn't like the gamble from that standpoint.

As for Rodgers, this is not a rhetorical question, but do people honestly think he was anywhere near as motivated and fit last season as he was in years past? I thought he looked a lot less tone and lean, and the athletic decline was pretty dramatic for just being one year older. He looked like an old man trying to get out of the pocket, and I don't remember him looking that slow in 2021. The broken thumb wouldn't explain that. Combine that with the contract situation and the weird crap he does in the offseason when he clearly needed to train more and join voluntary mini-camps, and I think it's fair to place a lot of blame on him. It's one thing to say you're grateful and want him back, but it's kind of ridiculous to criticize anyone who wants him traded under the circumstances, which I see happening here.

What they paid Rodgers vs. what they got from him last season was an insult to Packer fans.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,865

Post#1784 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:11 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Isocleas2 wrote:The people who are cool with Rodgers holding this team hostage every year are the same ones who were fine when Favre did it too. They'll blame management while building a cult of personality around the player.

Last time they didn't stop complaining until the Packers won the superbowl in 2011 and finally accepted this Rodgers guy is pretty good. Hopefully history repeats itself with Love or we'll never hear the end of it.

Favre, at every major offseason deadline for three years, "Gee, I still don't know what I want. Someone fly down to the farm and tell me you love me. How much do you love me? You love me, right?"

Rodgers, in the offseason prior to the Packers drafting Jordan Love and winning back to back MVP's, "I want to play well into my 40's and retire a Packer."

Somehow a huge contingent of Packers fans view these two situations as similar.
Exactly. It amazes me that people think both situations are the same.
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 513

Post#1785 » by Isocleas2 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Isocleas2 wrote:The people who are cool with Rodgers holding this team hostage every year are the same ones who were fine when Favre did it too. They'll blame management while building a cult of personality around the player.

Last time they didn't stop complaining until the Packers won the superbowl in 2011 and finally accepted this Rodgers guy is pretty good. Hopefully history repeats itself with Love or we'll never hear the end of it.

Favre, at every major offseason deadline for three years, "Gee, I still don't know what I want. Someone fly down to the farm and tell me you love me. How much do you love me? You love me, right?"

Rodgers, in the offseason prior to the Packers drafting Jordan Love and winning back to back MVP's, "I want to play well into my 40's and retire a Packer."

He's said he wants to play well into his 40s and has also toyed with retirement the passed few years. Last year it was a serious option (according to him) and same with this year. I fail to see any big difference between the two situations.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1786 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:18 pm

I can't remember if it was his last two years combined or just his last season, but I remember something like 50 drops from Love's supporting cast, which was a litlte behind Herbert's. Think he lost 9 offensive starters from his huge season. Many scouts referenced the LSU game where he played very well but his stat line ended up terrible because nobody could catch the ball and he was under pressure every drop back.

He definitely came out with footwork/mental things to work on, no question. Pretty much everyone had him as a guy that is better to draft and develop than just start from day 1. That's why I'm more optimistic on him by far than I would have been if he was starting two years ago. That said, you never know until he actually plays.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,388

Post#1787 » by M-C-G » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:21 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:

Exactly. It amazes me that people think both situations are the same.

All world HOF QBs for the same franchise that ponder retirement more with each gray hair, both playing for the Packers for a long long time, who had their replacements drafted with late first round picks who need a couple of years of development before they are ready to start. Yeah, simply laughable to compare. C'mon guys, what are we doing here?
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#1788 » by Swan Vox » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:23 pm

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,677

Post#1789 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:30 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I think Gute forgot he was dealing with real people in the real world when he made the Jordan Love pick. I've always thought the idea behind the pick was sound but if you do this you have to either communicate your intentions to your entrenched franchise QB and manage that situation better or commit to a transition plan and stick to it instead of capitulating to Rodgers with that insane contract last offseason.

I actually think he's a decent GM but that one single move and subsequent fallout with Rodgers has sort of cast a lingering shadow over the organization every year since it was made. Fair or not, the majority of his legacy as a GM now is tied to how good Jordan Love turns out to be. Like everyone else is saying, if he's legitimately good (and he doesn't have to be generational, just good) we'll all forget about this mess pretty quickly.
Totally agree, Rodgers reaction to the Love pick was so predictable and Gute seemed caught off guard when Rodgers demanded out the following season. It's easy for us to sit here and say 'he should have been fine with them planning for the future' but it I put myself in his shoes as a HOF QB who's never said he wanted to leave and coming off a 13-3 season I can understand why he was pissed.

If Love is good then Gute gets a W here. But if he's bad or just meh I'll never forgive him. Not because I think they would have won a SB using that pick on another player but simply because this was a **** way for one of the franchise greatest players to go out. As a fan all this drama has sucked.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1790 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:31 pm

One other thing to consider on the timing of the Love pick, looking at the 2020/2021/2022 drafts, there is only one QB you would currently trade Love for that was drafted after him, and that's Hurts. There isn't any other QB I'd even consider. So in that sense, you could argue Gute played it right drafting one in 2020, instead of waiting and being left with crappier options. I would guess some people would argue Malik Willis, but I'd take Love over him without question. In terms of this draft, I think all four of Stroud/Young/Levis/Richardson are gone by our pick, and you could probably debate that Love is right in the mix with Levis/Richardson anyway if he was in this draft.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,333

Post#1791 » by Mags FTW » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:41 pm

Tauscher now speculating Rodgers might go scorched Earth because of Murphy's clumsy interview responses.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,876

Post#1792 » by RubberSoul » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Tauscher now speculating Rodgers might go scorched Earth because of Murphy's clumsy interview responses.

Why not just attach a late round pick to him and trade him to a crappy team with cap space for a conditional 7th? Nothing he can do to stop that. We don’t get any assets but the drama is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,388

Post#1793 » by M-C-G » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:46 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote: It's easy for us to sit here and say 'he should have been fine with them planning for the future' but it I put myself in his shoes as a HOF QB who's never said he wanted to leave and coming off a 13-3 season I can understand why he was pissed.

The draft before Love, Rodgers was asked his thoughts if the Packers drafted a QB. He said he totally understands, its in the clubs best interest to be planning for the long term.

Fast forward a year and when it actually happens, he turns into a dickwad about it. Now to be fair to him, I think he treated Love better than Favre treated Rodgers. I suspect him and Love having the same agent means there is amicable solution here to be found. Just hope it isn't extending Rodgers again and trading Love, only to have Rodgers retired this time next year while Love is looking like a real QB
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,878

Post#1794 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:00 pm

As long as this is done before 1:00 PM EST on Wednesday, then no one should be complaining and Aaron kept his word that he wouldn't drag this out like Favre did all those years. But oh boy, if we're multiple hours into free agency and still on Rodgers Watch.....there's gonna be some epic mental gymnastics.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,095

Post#1795 » by MVP2110 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=U1ZprA1PgKCWID3IzGOV4g&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1796 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:03 pm

I'm not super interested in re-litigating Rodgers entire tenure but here in the present this is ridiculous.

Read on Twitter
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1797 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:05 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:As long as this is done before 1:00 PM EST on Wednesday, then no one should be complaining and Aaron kept his word that he wouldn't drag this out like Favre did all those years. But oh boy, if we're multiple hours into free agency and still on Rodgers Watch.....there's gonna be some epic mental gymnastics.

For all intents and purposes free agency starts in about an hour. Rodgers using Wednesday as a deadline would be incredibly disingenuous.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1798 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Tauscher now speculating Rodgers might go scorched Earth because of Murphy's clumsy interview responses.

This is why I was so **** annoyed at Murphy. You know Rodgers is liable to treat literally anything that could be taken as a slight and blow it up into a situation. Who knows if that's what is happening but why even risk it? Just keep your **** mouth shut until he's officially not on the team anymore. It's not that hard.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1799 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:19 pm

M-C-G wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote: It's easy for us to sit here and say 'he should have been fine with them planning for the future' but it I put myself in his shoes as a HOF QB who's never said he wanted to leave and coming off a 13-3 season I can understand why he was pissed.

The draft before Love, Rodgers was asked his thoughts if the Packers drafted a QB. He said he totally understands, its in the clubs best interest to be planning for the long term.

Fast forward a year and when it actually happens, he turns into a dickwad about it. Now to be fair to him, I think he treated Love better than Favre treated Rodgers. I suspect him and Love having the same agent means there is amicable solution here to be found. Just hope it isn't extending Rodgers again and trading Love, only to have Rodgers retired this time next year while Love is looking like a real QB
I feel like that comment is more him saying what he knows he should say. It's also a pretty vague question and could be interpreted as taking a QB anywhere in the draft vs trading up in the first round.

Yeah by all accounts Rodgers has been a good teammate to Love. I think Aaron being in Loves shoes helps and he can be mad at the Pack and understand Love had nothing to do with this situation.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1800 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:20 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:

This is why I was so **** annoyed at Murphy. You know Rodgers is liable to treat literally anything that could be taken as a slight and blow it up into a situation. Who knows if that's what is happening what why even risk it? Just keep your **** mouth shut until he's officially not on the team anymore. It's not that hard.
The fact he gave that interview to a random local reporter at a volleyball game is pretty hilarious.

Return to Green Bay Packers