ImageImage

Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season - Rodgers Poll Added

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

How does the Rodgers Saga Play Out This Offseason?

Rodgers Retires
3%
Rodgers is the Packers QB in 2023
22%
Traded to Raiders
24%
Traded to Jets
45%
Traded to another team (specific in a post which one)
6%

Total votes: 88

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season 

Post#41 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:16 pm

A lot of 20/20 hindsight, but a last season Denver like-Rogers trade would look pretty good right now. People would have bitched to the moon about it at the time, but the rebuild corner would be turned and looking better. To be fair, I don't think ARod would have bellyflopped in Denver like Wilson.

Those folks who see Love as a bust would have bitched loudest to be sure, bur that lost season would clarify roster choices across the board. If he had succeeded, that poses all different kinds of roster possibilities and with extra picks from the Rogers trade, you should have had a better shot going ahead.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#42 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:31 pm

Wisky4life wrote:I believe Rodgers will come back but would be interesting trading him to the Raiders.

Rodgers isn't retiring with what $58 million on the table, no way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Rodgers to the Raiders (probably as a part of a 3-way that sends David Carr to a non-Packers team) feels like the obvious move. Rodgers can reunite with Davante and play in a warm climate, and the Raiders are the kind of team that will overpay for a future HOF, but currently washed, QB.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,536

Post#43 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:02 pm

Many wanted Claypool and we did offer a #2 for him (as did Chicago). Fortunately Pitt thought correctly that the Bears pick would be better. The Bears gave up the first pick in the second round for 7 games, 14 catches, 0 TD's and 1 fumble.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#44 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:09 pm

The Love 5th yr option is going to be a fascinating decision.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,037

Post#45 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:15 pm

Dennis Reynolds wrote:Can someone make an argument that can't be be refuted immediately as to why MLF shouldn't be fired? I know I can make 20 arguments as to why he should be gone tonight.

Bonus question, as an OC of a bottom 5 offense who himself admitted he knew almost nothing about football before he started working for Shanahan, why was he even hired?

Depends on where you are going as an organization. If we are blowing it up, why waste money on a new coach and you would also get a chance to see if MLF is any good without Rodgers. Similar situation with Love where you might as well throw him out there in a down year to see what you have.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#46 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:38 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:Can someone make an argument that can't be be refuted immediately as to why MLF shouldn't be fired? I know I can make 20 arguments as to why he should be gone tonight.

Bonus question, as an OC of a bottom 5 offense who himself admitted he knew almost nothing about football before he started working for Shanahan, why was he even hired?

Depends on where you are going as an organization. If we are blowing it up, why waste money on a new coach and you would also get a chance to see if MLF is any good without Rodgers. Similar situation with Love where you might as well throw him out there in a down year to see what you have.

Not to mention he's 49–22 in his career. It was a bad year, but if you fire him now, Green Bay instantly becomes one of the most unattractive jobs with "management" that makes rash decisions.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,536

Post#47 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:55 pm

Fall of 2023 could be the first time I'm looking forward more to Badgers football than Packers.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#48 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:59 pm

There is no way MLF deserves to be gone until we see the team with him and Love for an extended period. He’s not getting canned.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Many wanted Claypool and we did offer a #2 for him (as did Chicago). Fortunately Pitt thought correctly that the Bears pick would be better. The Bears gave up the first pick in the second round for 7 games, 14 catches, 0 TD's and 1 fumble.

Claypool in GB would have been more successful than going to Chicago, IMO. Even though Rogers hasn't been consistently on the mark as years past, he's still a much better passer than Fields. Still, the trade wouldn't have significantly moved the needle either. There's a reason Pittsburgh was willing to moving him as part of their re-build on the fly.....

They're completely different players, but I always have thought of Claypool as being on the same tier as Lazard. Good as #2 or #3 recievers with good subsets of skills, but not top-tier by any stretch. We needed Lazard to be something he's not. The same would have been true with Claypool in GB
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#50 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 5:26 pm

I get why Rodgers came back this year - the team should have been much better, and after two straight MVP years it was all there for the taking. Hopefully both the Packers and Rodgers have seen enough to move on. Don't care if it's via retirement or a trade - Jordan Love has shown enough to get a shot here. We are also about to be under the gun regarding his contract too.

Assuming Love is the starter next year - my only hope in the draft is we surround him with weapons. Need another WR for sure, probably need a TE assuming Tonyan walks. Have plenty of depth along the O-line so not super worried there.

No idea what to do with the defense. There's been so much investment there for so little return. I think you have to hope some of these guys improve dramatically over the offseason. Adding players here at the expense of offensive weapons would be ridiculous, so I guess expect Gute to do exactly this LOL
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#51 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 5:33 pm

Add a TE that can actually move. We've seen too many TEs in GB that catch the ball and immediately fall over at first contact. Also, find a new OC right away.

Pray the defense can miraculously figure it out. I've basically given up on the fact that they can be anything better than average.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#52 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#53 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:10 pm

Rodgers is an odd bird so anything is possible but I'd be pretty damn surprised if he retired. Maybe I'm in the minority but I still think the most likely outcome is he's starting in GB next season.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#54 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:15 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, and 12 seems driven by money. His comments last night gave me slight pause, but no way.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#55 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,703

Post#56 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,703

Post#57 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#58 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:33 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter
He's 39 years old. Tom Brady has kind of **** our brains up about how we view aging QBs. It's very natural that you start losing some ability at this age.

Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:33 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

My bet: GM cliche boilerplate. "Frustrating end to a miracle comeback season. We're looking forward to a productive off-season of upgrading our roster. blah, blah, blah.... Nothing to see here, move along"
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#60 » by MoMM » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:40 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Love 5th yr option is going to be a fascinating decision.

He will ask for a trade if Rodgers stays with us. If Rodgers leaves, we will pick his extension up, especially because we don't have any cap space for the next 2 seasons anyway, so it's going to be something just to clear the books and perhaps draft some future assets.

Return to Green Bay Packers