ImageImage

Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season - Rodgers Poll Added

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

How does the Rodgers Saga Play Out This Offseason?

Rodgers Retires
3%
Rodgers is the Packers QB in 2023
22%
Traded to Raiders
24%
Traded to Jets
45%
Traded to another team (specific in a post which one)
6%

Total votes: 88

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Re: Packers Trades, Transactions, News - 2023 Off Season 

Post#561 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:41 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
I don't think they would trade him. This isn't Madden and if Love is the QB there's value in having an elite guy on the blindside.

That said, he's only signed for two more seasons and on the wrong side of 30. His contract is tradeable. Tom or Jenkins are there to take his place. From a team building and timeline standpoint it makes some sense.

If his injuries are behind him, I don't believe his age (still 31 when next season starts) will be an issue at all the remainder of his contract. Plenty of guys play a good OL at early 30's.

I will be utterly shocked if Bakhtiari is not the Packers starting LT next season. And I like both Tom/Nijman, but OT is definitely a spot you want to be deep at moving into the first year of Love starting.

I don't expect a drop off either, it was more a reference to the team's timeline going forward. Sure there's a chance Love is a star and the Packers are serious contenders in the next two years, but I think it's more likely we're looking at a rebuild if Rodgers leaves. If the Packers didn't have Jenkins and Tom around I'd say we'd have to keep Bakh. But they give the Packers options.

Again, I really don't think he's traded. But,
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#562 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
I don't expect a drop off either, it was more a reference to the team's timeline going forward. Sure there's a chance Love is a star and the Packers are serious contenders in the next two years, but I think it's more likely we're looking at a rebuild if Rodgers leaves. If the Packers didn't have Jenkins and Tom around I'd say we'd have to keep Bakh. But they give the Packers options.

Again, I really don't think he's trade. But,

I don't disagree that I'd explore trade options if the package is enticing. What "enticing" is defined as, I have no idea. I guess I'm more talking about the cap casualty stuff, that ship has sailed and it isn't happening. I would say a trade is probably 20/80 at best as well.

I'm fully on the rebuild bandwagon, which is also why I'd rather take all the Rodgers cap hit in 2023 and get 2023 draft compensation. I just think that allows us to build the young core a year earlier while also moving to a fully healthy cap a year earlier. If that results in a few more veteran casualties as a result, so be it. I just don't see Bakh or AJ being on that list.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#563 » by MoMM » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:14 pm

Even if we didn't had Tom/Jenkins, I'd prefer to trade Bakh if it's for a late 2nd, because we could be getting a starting OL player for the next 10 years with that pick like we did with Jenkins. Bakh just doesn't match our timeline if we trade Rodgers.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#564 » by LikeABosh » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:49 pm

Hackett wasn't hired to lure in Rodgers, he was hired to lure in Blake Bortles
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#565 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Must-read on the options the Packers have this offseason.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#566 » by Profound23 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 pm

Listened to Doubs on ESPN radio this afternoon.

Sounds like he prefers Love over Rodgers too.

I am paraphrasing but when asked about Rodgers:

"Um....well....he is good people. We HAD a good relationship. Whenever I have questions on where to be I can ask him."

When asked about Love:

"He is the best. He is level headed, no ego and just like me he never gets too up or down. We played against each other in college and he is just a great guy."

The amount of time he took to filter his answer about Rodgers versus how much he genuinely likes Love spoke volumes to me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#567 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:09 pm

Profound23 wrote:Listened to Doubs on ESPN radio this afternoon.

Sounds like he prefers Rodgers over Love too.

"Um....well....he is good people. We HAD a good relationship. Whenever I have questions on where to be I can ask him."

When asked about Love:

"He is the best. He is level headed, no ego and just like me he never gets too up or down. We played against each other in college and he is just a great guy."

The amount of time he took to filter his answer about Rodgers versus how much he genuinely likes Love spoke volumes to me.

Did you have that reversed?
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#568 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:11 pm

When asked about Love:

Even during the season they had players talking in glowing terms about Love.

Whether it was a locker room divided situation could be discussed but it appears pretty genuine that Love took a BIG step further in his development (even if we as fans didn't get to see a whole lot of it)

Also when it comes to Doubs in this particular situation don't discount the age gap between him and Rodgers. That's a very real thing.
Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#569 » by Profound23 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

When asked about Love:

Did you have that reversed?

Yeah, working full-time and school full-time is kicking my butt. :lol:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#570 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:04 pm

RRyder823 wrote:

When asked about Love:

Even during the season they had players talking in glowing terms about Love.

Whether it was a locker room divided situation could be discussed but it appears pretty genuine that Love took a BIG step further in his development (even if we as fans didn't get to see a whole lot of it)

Also when it comes to Doubs in this particular situation don't discount the age gap between him and Rodgers. That's a very real thing.
Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Yeah the age gap is definitely a factor. I'm not sure Rodgers at 39 has much in common off the field with dudes in their early 20s.

I read the Gunslinger Favre biography and this division definitely happened to that team with the younger guys gravitating to Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#571 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:34 am

Ron Swanson wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:Anything more than a 2nd round pick would be a shock & a surprise to me.
We ended up with a 3rd for Favre when we traded him to the Jets. Despite looking washed up the year before Favre had a much better year for us in 2007 than Rodgers did this year. This was mostly because of TT drafting Greg Jennings & James Jones to go with Donald Driver.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/45113-favre-traded-to-jets

You think that Rodgers is gonna go for less than what Carson Wentz went for the 2nd time he got traded after a bad season? Interesting.

In general, I don't expect teams to be as dumb as the Colts.

Then again...the Colts are looking for a QB...
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#572 » by RiotPunch » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:21 am

Yeah, there will be several teams willing to part with more draft capital than a 2nd for Rodgers. Not shocking, not surprising, also not 2008.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#573 » by MoMM » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 am

When asked about Love:

Well, I won't even consider the age difference, but we know that Rodgers gets super disappointed when he makes bad throws or their receivers drop balls, so there are these ups and downs.

In terms of team environment having someone like Love might be better, but if the idea is to win a SB, we need to have players pushing each other to their limits, so Rodgers gets the edge here, IMO. He is willing to help (even the other QBs) and he knows that small details might be difference between a great regular season record and a SB win.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#574 » by leroyjw10 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:35 pm

MoMM wrote:

When asked about Love:

Well, I won't even consider the age difference, but we know that Rodgers gets super disappointed when he makes bad throws or their receivers drop balls, so there are these ups and downs.

In terms of team environment having someone like Love might be better, but if the idea is to win a SB, we need to have players pushing each other to their limits, so Rodgers gets the edge here, IMO. He is willing to help (even the other QBs) and he knows that small details might be difference between a great regular season record and a SB win.

There were a few articles this year detailing how the new WRs need to get on the same page with Rodgers to better align with him. To me, it was far more important that Rodgers accommodates them, not the other way around. It doesn't seem like he made much of an effort to do that, which is poor leadership, and I think a perfectly legitimate reason for some of the younger players not gravitating toward Rodgers.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#575 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:09 pm

Quinnen Williams and a 2 and I’m good. Just get this over with.
Do it for Chuck
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Post#576 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:57 pm

MoMM wrote:Even if we didn't had Tom/Jenkins, I'd prefer to trade Bakh if it's for a late 2nd, because we could be getting a starting OL player for the next 10 years with that pick like we did with Jenkins. Bakh just doesn't match our timeline if we trade Rodgers.

This conversation keeps veering back to cap numbers and timeline, so I feel like those of us in favor of a trade can't let everyone forget that (it should go without saying) the injury issue is a huge factor. Will anyone really be surprised if the knee pain resurfaces next season and then keeping him, instead of getting a pick or two when they had a chance, ends up looking incredibly stupid?
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,560

Post#577 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Quinnen Williams and a 2 and I’m good. Just get this over with.

They're not giving up Quinnen Williams. No chance.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#578 » by Treebeard » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:47 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MoMM wrote:Even if we didn't had Tom/Jenkins, I'd prefer to trade Bakh if it's for a late 2nd, because we could be getting a starting OL player for the next 10 years with that pick like we did with Jenkins. Bakh just doesn't match our timeline if we trade Rodgers.

This conversation keeps veering back to cap numbers and timeline, so I feel like those of us in favor of a trade can't let everyone forget that (it should go without saying) the injury issue is a huge factor. Will anyone really be surprised if the knee pain resurfaces next season and then keeping him, instead of getting a pick or two when they had a chance, ends up looking incredibly stupid?

The Brian Bulaga comp? The old saw of "Better to trade a player too soon than too late" might apply here....
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#579 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:51 pm

If Rodgers is traded and some team offers even like a 3rd for Bak the Packers would be insane to turn that down.

Homie can't practice two days in a row. I doubt the knee is ever right again (until the inevitable replacement after he retires).

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,560

Post#580 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:56 pm

I guess it depends. Any 2nd rounder and I'd probably pull the trigger, but if it's just a possible mid-late 3rd rounder then meh, I'd probably just roll the dice and hope Bahk can give me 2-3 more years of elite LT play. Same with Aaron Jones, I'd be proactively shopping all these guys, but I'm not just dumping them for draft capital in the comp-pick range just to clean the cap sheet a little more.

Return to Green Bay Packers