ImageImage

Round One - Lukas Van Ness

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Re: Round One - Lukas Van Ness 

Post#141 » by Mags FTW » Mon May 1, 2023 8:22 pm

I mean, if they are going to use the "other talent around him" argument, they need to use it with every player out of Georgia.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,959

Post#142 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:48 pm

Obviously a long ways away to being able to judge this pick, but it feels like this pick was a waste for right now. Kingsley looks like a legit impact player on the outside, and Cox has shown enough to deserve snaps. If LVN had shown he could be a DE that would help, but Brooks has been a standout too.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,043

Post#143 » by MVP2110 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Obviously a long ways away to being able to judge this pick, but it feels like this pick was a waste for right now. Kingsley looks like a legit impact player on the outside, and Cox has shown enough to deserve snaps. If LVN had shown he could be a DE that would help, but Brooks has been a standout too.

I think it was always likely LVN wouldn't make a large impact year one. When Gary came in he had the Smith Bros & Fackrell(who was coming off a 10 sack season) ahead of him. LVN is probably Edge 4 or 5 right now and that's ok
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#144 » by Finn » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Obviously a long ways away to being able to judge this pick, but it feels like this pick was a waste for right now. Kingsley looks like a legit impact player on the outside, and Cox has shown enough to deserve snaps. If LVN had shown he could be a DE that would help, but Brooks has been a standout too.

Obviously, Cox's past plays some consideration in all of this. I hope he's learned his lessons but there was a pretty decent chance he had burned all of his bridges already. He's pretty fortunate to have been given this chance in a very player friendly environment.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#145 » by Treebeard » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:45 pm

I think with Van Ness, we all want him to be the second coming of TJ Watt, but he's not likely to be there this year. I also think there were a number of factors going into his selection:

1. Was he the Pack's BPA at that slot?
2. The degree of Gary's recovery was still TBD
3. Engabare has sure stepped up in pre-season
4. Cox's ability to behave has worked in his favor. His ability was there
5. Where is Preston next season?
6. How much of LVNs selection was based on his potential development for next season and beyond?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#146 » by M-C-G » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:02 pm

Woah. Weird. I thought we nailed it with this pick. And that is coming from someone that didn’t want him as the pick.

He has shown crazy raw power, similar yet different than Gary. And the idea he can play D line and edge, man I have come around on this pick in a big way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#147 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm

I need to see more from Enagbare to believe he's anything more than a JAG. Plus, you can't have too many pass rushers
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:35 pm

I can't say who should have been the pick, so I'll give the LVN pick the benefit of the doubt. At the time I was fine with it. You can say that once Carter started to fall the Packers should have moved up, but who knows, he could have been off their board. I REALLY wanted Bijan, didn't want JSN. I probably would have taken Kincaid or Gonzalez, but I'm happy as **** we got Musgrave.

I think this is going to be a really good class for GB.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by MVP2110 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:40 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:I need to see more from Enagbare to believe he's anything more than a JAG. Plus, you can't have too many pass rushers

Enagbare was really good last season, really underrated how much his ascension helped cover for Gary's injury. It's worth noting that we need to see it on a larger sample but hard to ask for more from a rookie

Read on Twitter
?t=LUYbAg2ojxipr22LQkHG8Q&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:46 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:I need to see more from Enagbare to believe he's anything more than a JAG. Plus, you can't have too many pass rushers

Enagbare was really good last season, really underrated how much his ascension helped cover for Gary's injury. It's worth noting that we need to see it on a larger sample but hard to ask for more from a rookie

Read on Twitter
?t=LUYbAg2ojxipr22LQkHG8Q&s=19

Read on Twitter
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,545

Post#151 » by Frank Nova » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:55 pm

JJ and BCjr both looked like monsters this preseason and I’m here for all of it! LVN is gonna be a monster when he figures it out and he’s definitely going too. With Rashan Gary, I’m not sure I’ve ever been this excited about our group of outside rushers. That’s not even including Preston who we should be able to keep fresh and out of pass coverage and Hollins who I think is relatively underrated as a player.

This group has potential to be absolutely game wrecking and LVN is a perfect prospect to bring a long the way in whatever capacity he can help. When it clicks for him, the world is going to know, not just Packers fans.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#152 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:01 am

People have to remember that Gute, particularly in the first round, plays the long game. So far the results have been pretty damn good. I think Van Ness ends up a star after having a redshirtish year just like Rashaan
Do it for Chuck
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,700

Post#153 » by jimmybones » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:34 pm

Imagine if LVN hits, even if it takes a year or two like Gary - having two freaks like that at such a premium position would be amazing. Those two and Clark are a great start to a dominant front 7. If some of the other young talent like Wyatt, Quay, Engabare, Karl Brooks also hit - best front 7 in the game is a great building block for a championship team.

I have hope to win this year but it is truly about seeing the potential of the team 2-3 years from now - obviously Love, the receiving weapons, and the front 7 are what I'm most excited to see play out.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#154 » by MoMM » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:30 pm

jimmybones wrote:Imagine if LVN hits, even if it takes a year or two like Gary - having two freaks like that at such a premium position would be amazing. Those two and Clark are a great start to a dominant front 7. If some of the other young talent like Wyatt, Quay, Engabare, Karl Brooks also hit - best front 7 in the game is a great building block for a championship team.

I have hope to win this year but it is truly about seeing the potential of the team 2-3 years from now - obviously Love, the receiving weapons, and the front 7 are what I'm most excited to see play out.

The problem is that if this happens, we won't be able to keep them together for salary cap reasons.

Anyway, better to have this kind of problem than not having good players at all.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#155 » by tski1972 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:34 pm

What’s the consensus on this guy? I know he’s been dinged up but he’s rather invisible right now.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:37 pm

tski1972 wrote:What’s the consensus on this guy? I know he’s been dinged up but he’s rather invisible right now.

He needs to play. I don't have much of a judgement on him yet. He should be playing over Preston
MoMM
RealGM

Post#157 » by MoMM » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:43 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
tski1972 wrote:What’s the consensus on this guy? I know he’s been dinged up but he’s rather invisible right now.

He needs to play. I don't have much of a judgement on him yet. He should be playing over Preston

Not playing over Preston just shows that he isn't ready yet.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:45 pm

MoMM wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

He's probably not, we all knew this season for him was likely to be akin to Gary's 1st year as the 3rd or 4th Edge rusher. The difference then though was that team was an NFCCG team and not a rebuilding squad like our current situation. No reason to play an aging washed up vet over Van Ness
MoMM
RealGM

Post#159 » by MoMM » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:14 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MoMM wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

He's probably not, we all knew this season for him was likely to be akin to Gary's 1st year as the 3rd or 4th Edge rusher. The difference then though was that team was an NFCCG team and not a rebuilding squad like our current situation. No reason to play an aging washed up vet over Van Ness

There is a reason, our DC wants to keep his job.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#160 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:20 pm

MoMM wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
MoMM wrote:Not playing over Preston just shows that he isn't ready yet.

There is a reason, our DC wants to keep his job.

Yep. Barry is trying to win now and that's a mistake. This year should be all about development. Trade any vet who won't be here in 2025 imo and play the young guys

Return to Green Bay Packers