Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Re: Game 1: Packers at Bears - 3:25 - Fox 

Post#601 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=3xti8ypj66j7Se2-rGKe6g&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#602 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:36 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:PFF does a good job calculating positions like O-lineman, defensive backs, and interior defensive guys. It's borderline useless as a single-game score for QB's though (it almost surely penalized Love for some of those drops and overthrows that were more the receivers' fault).
I don't have an issue with the score they gave Love. Lots to be encouraged by but he left a lot on the field. 1st half wasn't good and he strait up missed Musgrave at the end.

I'm a Love supporter but there's a lot of room for growth. Great game for his 1st "real" start though

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

You don't have an issue that they said Justin Fields played better than Jordan Love yesterday? I'll agree Love certainly wasn't perfect, but he was leagues better than Justin Fields was
Never said I agreed with that Fields score or that pff scoring system was infallible. Just that I don't have a huge issue with a 60 score for Love.

Do i think he should be scored well above Fields? Yes

Would I have thought Love score should of been around 70 versus 60? Yes

Do I think he should've scored an All Pro grade? No

Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,120

Post#603 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 pm

Since we're talking about stats, can someone explain QBR to me?

Yesterday, Love finished the game with 245 yds and 3 TDs while completing 15/27 passes. He was very efficient on 3rd and 4th down, had 0 turnovers, was sacked only once and finished the game with a QBR of 73.4.

Then you have Dak who had 143 yards on 13/24 passing with 0 TDs, 0 turnovers and 0 sacks. He somehow finished the game with a QBR of 72.7. How the hell does that work?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#604 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 pm

I would hope even the most pessimistic Love fan came away from that one like; 'eh, maybe we got something with him'

I don't expect everyone to be on the hype train, but I was watching the game with a guy that had a lot of concerns about Love, hell, maybe even didn't want him (instead of Rodgers) and he came away at least feeling good. FIL who was pretty adamantly concerned about Love texted some positive things today as well.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#605 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:08 pm

M-C-G wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I was most impressed with Loves poise. I'm sure there were a ton of nerves going into that one but he didn't really show it.

Now I'm curious how him and the team look next week. Young teams can fall in the trap of getting a little too happy with themselves after a big win.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

Fair points. I do think that poise is what most guys that bomb don't have. Never mind he has excellent size, arm, mobility....we might really have something but there will absolutely be ups and downs and cringes and cries along the way.
Yeah it sounds so simple but you just see a shook look with some of these dudes and you just know they are ****. Happy to not see that with Love yesterday. Heck I would have half excused it early because like I said there was a TON of pressure on him yesterday.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#606 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:16 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:I don't have an issue with the score they gave Love. Lots to be encouraged by but he left a lot on the field. 1st half wasn't good and he strait up missed Musgrave at the end.

I'm a Love supporter but there's a lot of room for growth. Great game for his 1st "real" start though

You don't have an issue that they said Justin Fields played better than Jordan Love yesterday? I'll agree Love certainly wasn't perfect, but he was leagues better than Justin Fields was
Never said I agreed with that Fields score or that pff scoring system was infallible. Just that I don't have a huge issue with a 60 score for Love.

Do i think he should be scored well above Fields? Yes

Would I have thought Love score should of been around 70 versus 60? Yes

Do I think he should've scored an All Pro grade? No

Here's the problem, when they do give Fields a higher grade, it makes it seem like they really don't know what their talking about

Fwiw they also gave Kahlil Herbert a better receiving grade than Aaron Jones yesterday
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#607 » by Finn » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:37 am

emunney wrote:Favorite postgame comment was from Brisker who said he felt the Bears "needed this" because they were "riding too high". You won 3 games last year. I would not say you were high, I would say you were trippin.

More from Brisker.

Jaquan Brisker vows ‘nothing special' Jordan Love, Packers will ‘get theirs'
Brewster
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#608 » by Brewster » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:46 am

Any news on how Justin Jones is doing after this game?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#609 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Interesting thing I didn't notice Sunday

Quay wore the green dot, not Campbell. And when they went down to only 1 ILB they left Quay on and took Devondre off
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,230

Post#610 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 pm

M-C-G wrote:I would hope even the most pessimistic Love fan came away from that one like; 'eh, maybe we got something with him'

I don't expect everyone to be on the hype train, but I was watching the game with a guy that had a lot of concerns about Love, hell, maybe even didn't want him (instead of Rodgers) and he came away at least feeling good. FIL who was pretty adamantly concerned about Love texted some positive things today as well.

I’m still a skeptic. I thought he was just ok going against, frankly, a bad defense. But it WAS on the road. He was better than I feared.

CHI, for reasons known only to them, never sent much pressure. Even on 3rd and long they only sent 4. Over and over.
If ATL has any brains, they’ll pressure a young QB. We should learn more about Love from that than we did Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#611 » by M-C-G » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:44 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
M-C-G wrote:I would hope even the most pessimistic Love fan came away from that one like; 'eh, maybe we got something with him'

I’m still a skeptic. I thought he was just ok going against, frankly, a bad defense. But it WAS on the road. He was better than I feared.

CHI, for reasons known only to them, never sent much pressure. Even on 3rd and long they only sent 4. Over and over.
If ATL has any brains, they’ll pressure a young QB. We should learn more about Love from that than we did Sunday.

For sure, nothing wrong with being skeptical. We aren't saying he is going to be the next MVP, just saying guys like Kurt Warner and JT O'Sullivan that breakdown film study on his games are pretty optimistic on the guy. Mostly on his cerebral and working through the progressions. That's a good spot to be.

But to your point, when we played the Chiefs they blitzed the **** out of us and the entire offense looked awful. If our line stays solid, I think the decision making will be there, just my opinion. A bunch of his incompletions this week were attributed to either some sloppy footwork or defenders right in his face, but he seemed to still be making the right reads, which is really encouraging to me.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,329

Post#612 » by jute2003 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:15 pm

It was his first game as the man and it was on the road at a division rival. His recievers are all still in diapers. I couldn't be more happy with how he played. I don't care how awful chicago is. He didn't poop himself and looked like he belonged. That works for me.
only a fan, only an opinion
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#613 » by Ayt » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:53 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:

I think it is important to put things in context. Love was without his #1 WR who is also the main deep threat. These are the offensive snap counts of his receiving core.

Wicks - 62% (Wicks is a 5th round rookie who returned to practice on Wednesday after missing 2.5 weeks with a hammy. Absurd that the offense put up 31 points with Wicks getting the most snaps at WR after missing all that time)

Reed - 53% (2nd round pick, but still a rook playing his first game with a bunch of other noobs)

Heath - 48% (an undrafted rookie was tied for 3rd in snaps after the 5th round rookie who hadn't practiced in weeks and the 2nd rounder)

Doubs - 48% (Still a very young player who was a 4th rounder with somewhat limited snaps last year despite the expectations, he was limited because of his hammy and had missed a bunch of practice this week)

Toure - 35% (7th rounder last season who barely played. Toure played only 112 snaps last season and got 21 in this game alone. He had a nice snag for a 1st down)

TE:

Musgrave - 75% (The Packers asked a ton of this 2nd round rookie both as a receiver and a blocker. He had a solid debut, but shouldn't have fallen down on that potential TD)

Kraft - 22% (Yet another rookie)

Sims - 15% (Dude who just got picked up on waivers)

It is insane how little experience the WR and TE groups have. You also have to factor in that they were without their most productive receiver by far in Watson who is also yet another young player. Just missing his threat of being an over the top burner was a huge loss.

The Bears also spent a lot of money upgrading their defense. They aren't the same team as last season and will likely finish closer to the middle of the pack defensively as a team. The offense dropped 31 on them with a bunch of kids receiving the ball and a nooblet at QB.

Frankly, that showing blew my expectations out of the water.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#614 » by Mags FTW » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:36 pm

I have not watched this, but apparently we are lucky that Fields is terrible. Moore was open 3-4 times on deep routes that Fields refused to pull the trigger on.

https://youtu.be/FiiK21VzI_o?si=GId60NM0rgevKtSN
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#615 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:45 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I have not watched this, but apparently we are lucky that Fields is terrible. Moore was open 3-4 times on deep routes that Fields refused to pull the trigger on.

Probably my only critique of the defense in this game. Obviously you have to credit some of it to design, as Fields truly has some of the worst field vision I've ever seen in a 3rd year starter (and of course you're gonna exploit that), but they played way too much zone in the first half for my liking.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,823

Post#616 » by RubberSoul » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:53 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I have not watched this, but apparently we are lucky that Fields is terrible. Moore was open 3-4 times on deep routes that Fields refused to pull the trigger on.

Probably my only critique of the defense in this game. Obviously you have to credit some of it to design, as Fields truly has some of the worst field vision I've ever seen in a 3rd year starter (and of course you're gonna exploit that), but they played way too much zone in the first half for my liking.

I’m going to try to be positive regarding Barry, a first for me, and hope that they were playing zone so much primarily to keep eyes on Fields at all times to prevent Fields from scrambling so much. I felt like they did a good job overall containing Fields as a running threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,074

Post#617 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Yea, I have to think a big part of the gameplan was knowing who they're going against. Until Fields shows he can push the ball up the field, there's no reason to play him like he does.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#618 » by MVP2110 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Playing zone against Fields is exactly what they should have done. He's a much bigger threat with his legs than his arm so making sure he can't bust out a massive run is paramount. The Packers did a great job of limiting the damage when he took off
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#619 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:31 pm

I thought Savage made some plays on Sunday which was encouraging but Safety is by far the worst position group on the team so I expect the pack to get burned by some deep balls this year.

Just have to hope the pass rush keeps teams from doing it too often.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#620 » by Profound23 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:52 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I thought Savage made some plays on Sunday which was encouraging but Safety is by far the worst position group on the team so I expect the pack to get burned by some deep balls this year.

Just have to hope the pass rush keeps teams from doing it too often.

Thankfully the Falcons have no clue how to use Pitts or he could destroy us.

Return to Green Bay Packers