Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Re: 2023 Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#81 » by ReddRum » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:03 pm

Anybody get fired yet?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,117

Post#82 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Post#83 » by stillgotgame » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:19 pm

Treebeard wrote:^^^ I think they're kinda stuck needing a 2nd and 3rd RB, given Jones problematic hammie. Either they like Wilson a hair more as an RB, or Taylor got paszed up on the ST depth chart

Fixed that for you.

Dillon played damn hard last night, but the reality is he's an outdated dinosaur. While the rest of the league has blazing speed in the backfield we have a workhorse snail.
With Dillon back there our play action game was basically useless. He's such a non-threat to break a run the Raiders linebackers & safeties played back and anticipated the pass. Even if he did catch them off guard he's so slow it was only a 5-6 yard gain. There were no throwing lanes all night as a result.
When we went 3 TE and showed run near the goal line they played run and easily stuffed him. Amazing that MLF couldn't figure this out after first down run was stuffed and was dumb enough to run a 2nd play straight into the line. This looked like a carbon copy of the Lions game last year where Dillon was stuffed twice from inside the 5.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,280

Post#84 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:14 pm

Read on Twitter

By no metric has Love been up to par through five games. He ranks last in completion percentage over expected (-6.9) among 34 QBs with at least 50 pass attempts, per Next Gen Stats. Often tossing deep shots that aren't close to connecting, Love sits last in completion percentage (55.6). He's also 29th in passer rating (77.3) and 21st in EPA per dropback (-0.10).

Ouch.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#85 » by jute2003 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

By no metric has Love been up to par through five games. He ranks last in completion percentage over expected (-6.9) among 34 QBs with at least 50 pass attempts, per Next Gen Stats. Often tossing deep shots that aren't close to connecting, Love sits last in completion percentage (55.6). He's also 29th in passer rating (77.3) and 21st in EPA per dropback (-0.10).

Ouch.
He hasn't been great. Until this past game, I don't think he's been a surefire dud though all things considered. I've watched a lot of **** routes and letdowns by recievers and godawful line play. I still believe above average is where he is headed.
only a fan, only an opinion
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#86 » by Treebeard » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:05 am

Some Packer salary cap observations from Justus Mosqueda:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/10/11/23912515/green-bay-packers-salary-cap-analysis-2023-2024-offense-no-one-is-playing-with-less-than-the-packers

The Green Bay Packers paid for the last three seasons of quarterback Aaron Rodgers with a credit card. There’s no way to get around that fact. Because of their salary cap limitations, Green Bay now is only spending $72.6 million on the offensive side of the ball. To you or me, that’s an insane amount of money. For an NFL franchise, though, that’s good for easily the lowest mark in the league.

According to Spotrac, that $72.6. million figure is about $16 million less than the 31st-ranked team in the league in offensive cash spending. For perspective, the Baltimore Ravens are spent $170 million on the offensive side of the ball this year, about 230 percent of what Green Bay is allowed to dish out.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,513

Post#87 » by HKPackFan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:52 am

Treebeard wrote:Some Packer salary cap observations from Justus Mosqueda:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/10/11/23912515/green-bay-packers-salary-cap-analysis-2023-2024-offense-no-one-is-playing-with-less-than-the-packers

The Green Bay Packers paid for the last three seasons of quarterback Aaron Rodgers with a credit card. There’s no way to get around that fact. Because of their salary cap limitations, Green Bay now is only spending $72.6 million on the offensive side of the ball. To you or me, that’s an insane amount of money. For an NFL franchise, though, that’s good for easily the lowest mark in the league.

According to Spotrac, that $72.6. million figure is about $16 million less than the 31st-ranked team in the league in offensive cash spending. For perspective, the Baltimore Ravens are spent $170 million on the offensive side of the ball this year, about 230 percent of what Green Bay is allowed to dish out.

How many seasons of tanking before cap hell ends?
#FreeChuckDiesel
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,131

Post#88 » by MVP2110 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:48 am

HKPackFan wrote:
Treebeard wrote:Some Packer salary cap observations from Justus Mosqueda:

This year and next. 2025 is when we're mostly out of being in cap hell
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,117

Post#89 » by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Packers acquire a tantalizing pass-catcher ... at a cost

Packers get: WR Jerry Jeudy, 2024 fourth-round pick
Broncos get: WR Romeo Doubs, 2024 second-round pick

The Broncos are expecting to tear down their roster on the defensive side of the ball, but let's consider a scenario in which they make a significant move on offense. Jeudy has shown tantalizing glimpses of potential since being drafted with the No. 15 overall selection in 2020, but injuries and middling quarterback play have cost him significant developmental time. He still averaged more than 2.0 yards per route run last season and is signed through 2024 for a total of just under $15 million, so the 24-year-old has the possibility to be extremely valuable if things break right over the next year-plus.

Coach Sean Payton would probably prefer to deal Courtland Sutton if trading away a wide receiver, but Jeudy is going to offer a more significant return, given his age and contract situation. Because of how desperately the Broncos need draft capital, maximizing the return on Jeudy and landing a second-round pick for a player toward the end of his rookie deal makes sense, even if the Broncos have to give up a fourth-round pick in return.

The Broncos also would land a viable wideout in Doubs, who lacks Jeudy's upside but would add more size to the Denver receiving corps. Payton might like his chances of molding Doubs into a more impactful starter over the next couple of seasons. The Broncos would free up more snaps for Marvin Mims, who simply has to play a bigger role in this lineup, given how productive he has been as a deep target so far as a rookie (10 catches for 246 yards).

ew
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,154

Post#90 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:08 pm

God what an absolutely terrible trade. I wouldn't do a straight swap of Doubs for Jeudy given the contract statuses, let alone throwing a 2nd round pick on top of it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Barnwell's the dumbest smart guy out there in football media. The Pelton of the NFL.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,187
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#92 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:19 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

Just spitballing here.

If Love is just OK and nothing crazy happens, do we do something like a 4-year deal after this season but we can exit after 2025?

You would hope at that point that we basically have the Dolphins/Tua roster. A QB at a $15-20mm cap hit, some young playmakers like Watson (maybe Musgrave/Reed/Doubs still in the mix) with a premium FA/trade target on offense and another high draft capital guy on offense. If Love is solid/competent, we may be able to build a high-powered offense.

If 2024 and 2025 look like **** 3/4 of the way into 2025, a cleaned house of GM, coach, QB probably and the next regime only has a manageable cap hit from dumping Love.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:25 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

Just spitballing here.

If Love is just OK and nothing crazy happens, do we do something like a 4-year deal after this season but we can exit after 2025?

You would hope at that point that we basically have the Dolphins/Tua roster. A QB at a $15-20mm cap hit, some young playmakers like Watson (maybe Musgrave/Reed/Doubs still in the mix) with a premium FA/trade target on offense and another high draft capital guy on offense. If Love is solid/competent, we may be able to build a high-powered offense.

If 2024 and 2025 look like **** 3/4 of the way into 2025, a cleaned house of GM, coach, QB probably and the next regime only has a manageable cap hit from dumping Love.

I don't think they commit long term (even through '25) unless they see some serious improvement in the second half of the season. The way it's trending now he's more likely to be replaced by a draft pick next year.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#94 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:This year and next. 2025 is when we're mostly out of being in cap hell

Just spitballing here.

I don't think they commit long term (even through '25) unless they see some serious improvement in the second half of the season. The way it's trending now he's more likely to be replaced by a draft pick next year.

So they just go into next year as basically a lame duck season? They'd be running somewhat short on time to offer him a big deal if there is improvement this year/next year. I realize the likely scenario is "he's just a guy" but if you want him longer-term it gets hard to do late next season or after it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Just spitballing here.

So they just go into next year as basically a lame duck season? They'd be running somewhat short on time to offer him a big deal if there is improvement this year/next year. I realize the likely scenario is "he's just a guy" but if you want him longer-term it gets hard to do late next season or after it.

The WR/TEs haven't done him any favors, but he's been one of the worst QBs in the league this season. If this is where he remains in the next ten games, they're just gonna draft his replacement in April.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#96 » by M-C-G » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:51 pm

OL has been in shambles, best weapons out most of the season and the youngest/least experienced group of pass catchers in the league. I'm happy to be patient on this one.

Also where is all the motion and misdirection fun stuff in our offense? Playcalling has been really vanilla last couple of games
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#97 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

The WR/TEs haven't done him any favors, but he's been one of the worst QBs in the league this season. If this is where he remains in the next ten games, they're just gonna draft his replacement in April.

I'm obviously fine with it, but that's a quick dump of the guy they waited on that long. I wasn't buying the hype over this group of skill players this offseason and I feel like they'd want to give him another chance with a better group next year.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#98 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:55 pm

M-C-G wrote:OL has been in shambles, best weapons out most of the season and the youngest/least experienced group of pass catchers in the league. I'm happy to be patient on this one.

Also where is all the motion and misdirection fun stuff in our offense? Playcalling has been really vanilla last couple of games

I think the defense can defend the "motion/misdirection stuff" when your playmakers are a hamstrung Watson, Romeo Doubs (meh), and Reed with Dillon as your back.

Just run with Reed or Watson and they probably won't beat you. Let Dillon beat you with 6 in the box. The only thing open is Musgrave on the misdirection picking up 4 yards.

McVay is elite at motion/misdirection stuff and last year the offense sucked when Van Jefferson or whatever was WR1 down the stretch.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:57 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm obviously fine with it, but that's a quick dump of the guy they waited on that long. I wasn't buying the hype over this group of skill players this offseason and I feel like they'd want to give him another chance with a better group next year.

I think that's the most likely outcome. But if he's this bad the rest of the season the Packers are gonna be looking at a top five pick and they'd have to at least consider going with someone different. Hell, Love's cap number is so low they could keep both QBs and trade one or the other if Love improves.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#100 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I think that's the most likely outcome. But if he's this bad the rest of the season the Packers are gonna be looking at a top five pick and they'd have to at least consider going with someone different. Hell, Love's cap number is so low they could keep both QBs and trade one or the other if Love improves.

I'm not high on Love's performance this year but with 2 wins already they are not going to have a top 5 pick.

Return to Green Bay Packers