Bernie becoming a distraction?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Bernie becoming a distraction? 

Post#1 » by KnickTerp12 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:08 pm

What do you guys think?

I love him as much as anything, I grew up watching him win titles for the Yankees, but don't you think that the situation can potentially become a distraction?

There's no reason for him to be calling the Yankees and saying the "doors are open" and then have the media ask every player what they think of the situation.

The season has started, we offered Bernie a minor league contract, he didn't want it, now deal with it and leave the team alone unless they want you back.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#2 » by HCYanks » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:45 pm

I don't know if he'll necessarily distract the players, but it sort of is a nuisance. Bernie needs to come to terms with the fact that he's nowhere near what he once was. His bat is below average and I don't even want to discuss his defense. I'd love to see him stay in the organization somehow, either in the front office or on the coaching staff. But the team doesn't have to "honor" him with a roster spot just because he still wants to play.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 589

Post#3 » by nyknicks2k2 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:50 pm

I don't think so. Maybe to the fans but I'm pretty sure the players aren't thinking of Bernie like that. They miss him, sure, but I don't believe it's a big deal past that. Not only that but we're the Yankees. We have so many other potential distractions.
Sashobe
Starter
And1: 79

Post#4 » by Sashobe » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:53 pm

Bernie, just take the minor league contract.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#5 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:08 pm

I don't think think so if anything he'd be a distraction to the coach and Jetes but not anyone else not even Jorge because he went out of the limb w/ Mo and told Bernie to clam it.
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#6 » by Vator » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:49 pm

HCYanks wrote:I don't know if he'll necessarily distract the players, but it sort of is a nuisance. Bernie needs to come to terms with the fact that he's nowhere near what he once was. His bat is below average and I don't even want to discuss his defense. I'd love to see him stay in the organization somehow, either in the front office or on the coaching staff. But the team doesn't have to "honor" him with a roster spot just because he still wants to play.

Just like a prize fighter. So many of them lose it way before they realize that they lost it and keep going into the ring and embarrassing themselves. It takes a few severe beating before they come to the realization that they just aren't as good as they once were. The key is they have to realize it. Everybody else seems to see it but them. We have a similar situation with Craig Biggio. Many fans want him gone but he is primed to get his 3000th hit this year so of course there is a place for him on the roster. I just hope that after he reaches his milestone that his retirement isn't too far behind. He absolutely goes into the toilet every year during the 2nd half because his body just can't handle it.

I agree with him staying with the organization though. Seems like it would be a great fit and a seamless transition.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#7 » by sully00 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:56 pm

This is more media and fan driven than a distraction. Wouldn't have been more of a distraction if he didn't call them and wish them luck as they are already noticing he isn't there.

Bernie deserves everthing the Yankees can give him besides a roster spot. He knows its over, if he didn't he would have gone to FLA, he is just having a hard time of letting it go and the media knows the fans love him and it is a free column or a free talk show.
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#8 » by Squirrel Boy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:51 pm

Bernie can still play. He can still hit 10+ homers and hit .280. That's my opinion. However, KT and Melky are better than him now.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,186

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:17 pm

sully00 wrote:This is more media and fan driven than a distraction. Wouldn't have been more of a distraction if he didn't call them and wish them luck as they are already noticing he isn't there.

Bernie deserves everthing the Yankees can give him besides a roster spot. He knows its over, if he didn't he would have gone to FLA, he is just having a hard time of letting it go and the media knows the fans love him and it is a free column or a free talk show.

Yeah I agree.

It's kinda sad in a way cause you get a sense that if he really wanted to that there is a team out there willing to offer him a major league contract (even if it likely would only be for 1 year and not near the dollars he's used to) and that all he wants to do is be a Yankee.

I'd take the minor league contract, go out there and show the Yanks what they have but having a monster season in the minors (assuming he still has something left in the tank) and go from there.

Loyalty is a rare thing and the Boss has shown that he's more loyal than other owners in recent years but at some point everything has to come to an end.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#10 » by sully00 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:45 pm

moocow007

Yeah I think he could still play major league baseball even if only as a part time player. He is just ill suited to the role that this team needs filled. He just can't defend or run the bases well enough anymore.

It might even make some sense for him to stay in shape and be ready for the second half if an injury, somebody locks up first base or the pitching staff sorts itself out and there is a roster spot for a pinch hitter you sure would love to have him around come post season.

I think that is more what he has in mind than going to Scranton and riding the bus.

Either way great classy ball player, awesome post season hitter, and he deserved to have the year he had last season and walk away before the game was taken away. Even the idea that Bernie Williams could be a clubhouse distraction is so ironic.
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#11 » by ElMatatan » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:37 pm

Bernie like Sosa has too much pride...too bad that unlike Sosa Bernie doesn't know when to just take the Minor league deal.
NY State of Mind
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#12 » by DakkaFromNyc » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:25 pm

Hopefully he is some what in the Yankees Organization this year

Return to New York Yankees