OT: So I just realized yesterday...

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,051

OT: So I just realized yesterday... 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:49 pm

that on my favorite sports day of the year, the day of the NFL Draft, I'll be sitting in church for the wedding of a co-worker.

:banghead:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,421

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Who plans their wedding on NFL draft day? :crazy:
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#3 » by bigkurty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Ouch, that hurts. Can you get live updates on your phone at least? I suppose you could DVR it but it is too long to really sit down and watch it after the fact I think.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#4 » by SugarRay34 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:09 pm

My dad did that a couple years ago when he remarried. I ended up being an hour late so I could see who the Packers ended up taking. The Javon Walker year. I was pretty upset when he told me the wedding was on draft day
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#5 » by wichmae » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:10 pm

wow that sucks...

Yeah I had to switch my call day on that weekend so i am free of any obligation...
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#6 » by El Duderino » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Me and my best friend are huge fans of Badger hockey,been so for a long time.Well they won it all the previous season and my buddy was stuck standing up for a wedding during the National Championship game the Badgers ended up winning.He was so pissed off.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#7 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Favorite Days of the year:
1.Thanksgiving
2.NFL Draft
3.Christmas

Sucks to be you. :nonono:
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#8 » by BuckPack » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 pm

wow, that blows DB. of all the people who'd get burned with that....bummer
Reggie White
Junior
And1: 5

Post#9 » by Reggie White » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 pm

Here comes the Optimist approach:

How long will the wedding last? An hour? That's the equivalent of about 5 picks in the first round. However, when does the wedding start? Your problem will be that the Packers might be drafting during that time.

Draft starts at 10 AM Central time. Average of 11.25 minutes per pick (using the assumption that the first round of the draft takes 6 hours), the Packers will draft around 12:45 PM. If the first round only took 5 hours, then that's about 9.38 minutes per pick, so they'd pick around 12:20 PM.

Here's hoping the wedding starts at 1 PM ... :-)

I know that it's not JUST about the Packers pick ... but if the wedding starts at 1, then you'll at least be able to have the fun of watching who starts falling to the Packers when they pick ...
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#10 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Bring headphones. Don't yell "YES!" or "WHAT THE ****!".
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,051

Post#11 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 pm

Reggie White wrote:Here comes the Optimist approach:

How long will the wedding last? An hour? That's the equivalent of about 5 picks in the first round. However, when does the wedding start? Your problem will be that the Packers might be drafting during that time.

Draft starts at 10 AM Central time. Average of 11.25 minutes per pick (using the assumption that the first round of the draft takes 6 hours), the Packers will draft around 12:45 PM. If the first round only took 5 hours, then that's about 9.38 minutes per pick, so they'd pick around 12:20 PM.

Here's hoping the wedding starts at 1 PM ... :-)

I know that it's not JUST about the Packers pick ... but if the wedding starts at 1, then you'll at least be able to have the fun of watching who starts falling to the Packers when they pick ...

I've been trying to do the math since last night. Each time the result is I don't see anyway I'm able to be in front a of a TV when the Packers pick. The wedding is a half hour away and starts at Noon.

I think one solution is I find a person with TV or DVR and I watch what I miss when the wedding is done. No internet or sports radio until I'm caught up.

What sucks is I like the conversations around here a lot when that's going on.

My other option is I simply don't attend the wedding. I've got a pretty good excuse. She knows that I'm looking into taking another job and that I'm going to visit the company that week. I could just say that it happens to happen that Saturday. It's slimy but I'll make it to the reception, which is all she cares about anyway.

I'm thinking that route is the one I'll probably take. I can't miss a minute of the sporting event I look forward to most.
LeopoldStotch
Junior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by LeopoldStotch » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm

My cousin is getting married the 28th as well. The wedding isn't until 3:00 though and it's only 30 mins. from home. I should definitely see the Packers pick and all of the first round, which is really the best part. I was pretty scared until I heard what time it started.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#13 » by El Duderino » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 pm

I think one solution is I find a person with TV or DVR and I watch what I miss when the wedding is done. No internet or sports radio until I'm caught up.

When my buddy missed the Badgers title game,i taped it and he told all the guys at the wedding,if anyone tells me the score i'll bash you in the face.

He managed to go the whole night not finding out and the next day he never turned on the TV or radio.Then he came by my place and watched it,i had fun with it because i knew what happened and i'd drop fake hints.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#14 » by KeyRabbit » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Yikes. Sorry, DB.

Did that make anyone else think of the Simpsons episode where Homer sneaks the headphones into church? Seriously, though: just get a Sirius portable player, an over-the-ear headphone, run the cable down the back of your tux, and keep your mouth shut and you'll be golden...
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#15 » by SugarRay34 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:33 am

My other option is I simply don't attend the wedding. I've got a pretty good excuse. She knows that I'm looking into taking another job and that I'm going to visit the company that week. I could just say that it happens to happen that Saturday. It's slimy but I'll make it to the reception, which is all she cares about anyway.

There you go. Thats the best way to go about it. Theres no way you can go to this thing man. You gotta be around here on draft day so we can have some conversations.
Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#16 » by Buck4Life » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:39 am

There is still the NBA lottery :wink:
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Post#17 » by DanoMac » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:35 am

My cousin comes home from his service temporarily to visit, so we're having a party for him that day. I hate listening to it. Thank God for internet on my phone and texts...and my uncles big screen, although they live in Chicago and are Bears fans.

Return to Green Bay Packers