ImageImage

Marshawn Lynch falling on board??

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

jviers77
Ballboy
And1: 0

Marshawn Lynch falling on board?? 

Post#1 » by jviers77 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:56 pm

On SportsCenter last night they mentioned that Lynch is dropping a bit due to some back injury and character issues. Are the Packers even considering him, or will they hope to get a steal on a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round? I like Lynch because of his size and pass-catching ability, but is he still worth the 16th pick? According to ESPN, if he's not picked by Buffalo or Green Bay, he could fall out of the 1st round. I watched his combine, and he looked pretty good, but not great. Thoughts??
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm

I've never been overly impressed with him. I'd much rather take Pittman in the 2nd.
alvineb15
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#3 » by alvineb15 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 pm

DrugBust wrote:I've never been overly impressed with him. I'd much rather take Pittman in the 2nd.

I agree 100%
"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
-Christopher Reeves
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#4 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:29 pm

More times than not falling stock is a good sign that the player won't pan out. There are exceptions like Randy Moss, but it is quite clear from his career that his character concerns were well justified.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#5 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 pm

I still think that it is very likely that his game is better suited for the NFL for Adrian Peterson, and doesn't have as much injury concerns. I think he and AP are 1a and 1b as far as RB's go in this draft. As far as his stock dropping, I don't know why. He seems to be a perfect fit for our ZBS.
Do it for Chuck
SteveScheffler
Junior

Post#6 » by SteveScheffler » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 pm

DrugBust wrote:I've never been overly impressed with him. I'd much rather take Pittman in the 2nd.

agreeed
SteveScheffler
Junior

Post#7 » by SteveScheffler » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:47 pm

what about michael bush?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:02 pm

SteveScheffler wrote:what about michael bush?

He might be worth a late round pick, though he doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme.
Reggie White
Junior
And1: 5

Post#9 » by Reggie White » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:21 am

I watched tape of Marshawn Lynch on NFL Network ... Mike Mayock (the "Mel Kiper of NFL Network") thinks that Lynch is definitely a cut above the other RBs. He showed film of him being an ideal zone-blocking type running back, with very good instinct for finding the cutback lane.

In other words, he isn't Leshon Johnson with 4.3 speed, but no moves. He shows the thing that can't be taught ... instinct.

Of course, he wasn't the full time starter his senior year ... maybe it isn't worth spending your 1st round pick on a RB that isn't solid.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#10 » by eagle13 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:57 pm

IF lynch falls to us - which team AFTER us would for sure need a RB? IF its a ways down then maybe we trade down to just before them. Get a pick - maybe 3rd or 4th (depending how far down we drop) and still take Lynch?

Its a gamble but its worth it since NOT getting Lynch would be OK.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#11 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:01 pm

eagle13 wrote:IF lynch falls to us - which team AFTER us would for sure need a RB? IF its a ways down then maybe we trade down to just before them. Get a pick - maybe 3rd or 4th (depending how far down we drop) and still take Lynch?

Its a gamble but its worth it since NOT getting Lynch would be OK.

Question about trades is what is in it for the other team? For some reason GMs usually don't just help out other GMs out of the kindness of their heart.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#12 » by eagle13 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:10 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Question about trades is what is in it for the other team? For some reason GMs usually don't just help out other GMs out of the kindness of their heart.

Your comment is a bit obvious. Its tough to say until draft day what players fall where. So obvioously Pack would need a team that wanted to trade up aa few spots to get someone their after but feel may be gone by thier turn. Who I don't know. Thats why my question was about something we could know - what teams after us need a RB? that might tell us what a team before them might need. Whatever... its boring time now - just wanted to speculate.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#13 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Reggie White wrote:I watched tape of Marshawn Lynch on NFL Network ... Mike Mayock (the "Mel Kiper of NFL Network") thinks that Lynch is definitely a cut above the other RBs. He showed film of him being an ideal zone-blocking type running back, with very good instinct for finding the cutback lane.

In other words, he isn't Leshon Johnson with 4.3 speed, but no moves. He shows the thing that can't be taught ... instinct.

Of course, he wasn't the full time starter his senior year ... maybe it isn't worth spending your 1st round pick on a RB that isn't solid.

Well first, Lynch was a Junior this past year. But he was the full-time starter, and he was featured this past season more than he was the season before. But in both seasons he was splitting carries with Forsett - not because Lynch wasn't good enough but because Forsett deserved the carries. Cal effectively had two 1,000 yard backs two seasons ago (technically, Forsett had 999 yards).

I think Lynch could definitely succeed in a ZBS. He's shifty and hits holes fast, and he's basically a human pinball with the way he just bounces off people. He refuses to go down on first contact and is definitely not afraid of taking it up the middle. He's not super fast but I think he's fast enough.

But if there are character concerns, they feel they can get a back that will be just as successful in the second round, or they want to wait to get their RB in next year's mega class, I'm okay with passing him up and filling a different hole with the first round pick.
Redbeardwirc0830
Banned User

Post#14 » by Redbeardwirc0830 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:23 pm

we should really take him. If we aren't going to get turner (doesn't look promising) we need to get brett some real talent. Marshawn could step in right away and play real tough.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#15 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 pm

SteveScheffler wrote:what about michael bush?

Michael Bush = Jamal Lewis without all of the drugs.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#16 » by wichmae » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:06 pm

I also contend that Michael Bush would be a really nice pick if we can wait on a guy to get healthy...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Michael Bush = Jamal Lewis without all of the drugs.

Forget how fast Jamal Lewis was coming out of Tennessee? The guy was a freak. He timed as fast as the high 4.3s and consistently in the low 4.4s. He was known as a burner in the open field coming out of Tennessee and that was with a serious knee injury.

Bush wishes he could get into the 4.5s.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#18 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Does anyone have a reason WHY Lynch is supposedly falling. On the Doug Russell show this morning, they gave some expert's mock draft, and had Lynch falling out of round 1. Sorry, but I just don't see that as a possibility. He has been #1 on my draft board since we first found out the draft order.
Do it for Chuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Does anyone have a reason WHY Lynch is supposedly falling. On the Doug Russell show this morning, they gave some expert's mock draft, and had Lynch falling out of round 1. Sorry, but I just don't see that as a possibility. He has been #1 on my draft board since we first found out the draft order.

A back issue, character concerns, durability question marks, he's never had to carry the load and when you put his production next to his measureables he's not overly different from a guy like Antonio Pittman of whom you could have in the 2nd.

Return to Green Bay Packers