ImageImage

2007 Draft, Round 1: Who do you want?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

2007 Draft, Round 1: Who do you want? 

Post#1 » by BuckPack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:02 pm

After months of draft chatter, I think it'd be nice to see where everyone here wants to go with the Pack's selection. While I think it'd be pretty fun to sift through the 1,000 page thread on the Bucks board to see who we wanted in early October (Calvin Johnson was my pick...although I thought we'd be in the top 5...) throughout January, why not see where everyone stands less than two weeks before the big day. I also think it'd be interesting to do this with the first couple rounds---this way, it may be easier to get a handle on a bunch of names and to hear different arguments for each pick....

Anyway, here's where I'd go....based on the current roster (ahemmm, no Randy Moss b/c he would significantly alter my drafting strategy....) my pick for the Packers at #16 would be....

Robert Meachem, WR Tennessee

He's my second favorite WR prospect in the draft, and I believe there's a clear need for another WR on this team (specifically one with the size and speed combination of Meachem). I don't think players like Branch, Olson, Revis or Ginn will be available at our selection, although all 4 would give me pause (the least of which is Ginn--his best assett, the return game, is something that I think we SHOULD have covered with a Pro Bowl return man, Koren Robinson, AND/OR the NCAA's 2nd all time return leader, Will Blackmon. Ginn could, and I think will, turn into a very good WR, but I don't think that will be for 3-4 years down the road....).

As for the "obvious" pick, Marshawn Lynch, he would probably be my selection if the Pack traded for Moss, but if not, I'd take Meachem (RB in '08).

Who would you pick?
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#2 » by wichmae » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Lynch or Dwayne Jarrett
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 pm

I'd like to move down, grab Aaron Ross, and pick up another second rounder, or up to grab Peterson if he gets past Cleveland.

That said, if we stay at #16 I'd like to add Jamaal Anderson.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#4 » by BuckPack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:27 pm

DrugBust wrote:I'd like to move down, grab Aaron Ross, and pick up another second rounder, or up to grab Peterson if he gets past Cleveland.

That said, if we stay at #16 I'd like to add Jamaal Anderson.

About a week ago I thought Anderson slipping to us was a possibility, but I just don't think that will happen anymore. I doubt he gets past #13. If he did, he's the only defensive player I'd take over Meachem and Lynch at 16.

If Peterson falls past Cleveland, and into the 6-10 range, I would certainly try to move up to get him. Ideally, I'd prefer to move up to Houston's spot if he's still available then, but I have a hard time believing he'd slip past minnesota. Everyone seems to think the Vikings would take Quinn if he fell, personally, I see them far more likely taking Peterson than Quinn.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#5 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Greg Olson
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#6 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Lynch, or move up to get Peterson. We cannot wait until next year to find a starting RB. Unless we are tanking.
Do it for Chuck
alvineb15
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#7 » by alvineb15 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:27 pm

Move up and get Peterson or trade down and get Bush or Pittman and Gonzalez (if he's there) in the second.
"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
-Christopher Reeves
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,733

Post#8 » by DanoMac » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Lynch or Ginn.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#9 » by eagle13 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Trading up WON'T happen.

I've been a proponent for awhile for trading down like DB's suggests.

IF we stay at 16? Best CB or Lynch or Olsen. Cannot see taking a WR there since no standout WR at 16 and when several good ones will still be there in 2nd.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#10 » by Mags FTW » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:37 am

DrugBust wrote:That said, if we stay at #16 I'd like to add Jamaal Anderson.

The Dirty Bird? :D

Best Player Available, regardless of position. Lynch or Nelson would be nice.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#11 » by Fort Minor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:34 am

Marshawn Lynch

OR

Trade down just a few spots and grab Olsen
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#12 » by DelaneyRudd » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 am

Fort Minor wrote:Marshawn Lynch

OR

Trade down just a few spots and grab Olsen

In ESPN's current mock Olson is higher than 16.

14. Carolina (8-8)

Projected pick: +Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
Needs: TE, S, ILB, DE, OT, WR, OLB, DE
The Panthers could use this pick to address needs at safety (Reggie Nelson and Michael Griffin) or linebacker (Lawrence Timmons and Paul Posluszny), but Olsen is the best fit if Willis is off the board. Olsen is the only first-round talent in this year's tight end class and has the speed to take pressure off WRs Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#13 » by xTitan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:05 am

If Lynch is there at 16 I am convinced the Packers could still trade down 4-5 spots at least and still grab him. I was never high on Lynch but caught a portion of the HOMERs show on 1510Am, Aaron Rodgers and the voice of Cal football sold Lynch very very hard and very well.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#14 » by skitch815 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:46 am

I like Olson and think we could trade down and grab him and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. That espn mock is the only one I've seen that has him going that high.

OT but what has happened to Dwayne Jarrett? Draft Countdown's latest mock has him all the way down at #35
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#15 » by DelaneyRudd » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:46 am

My point is, that every year there are guys who rise, and guys who fall. You can't expect to trade down for a guy who will probably be a riser. You take who will best help your team, you don't trade down 4 spots (which would bring a 4th or a veteran they want to cut at best when picking in the bottom of the 1st) and just hope some one doesn't take the guy you would have taken over anyone else anyways. That is far too big of a gamble, other GMs know a teams needs, and intentions if they bring up these kind of deals.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#16 » by SugarRay34 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:31 pm

I still havent really made up my mind yet on Lynch, Nelson, Meachem. Any of those 3 though and I would be thrilled. Right now Id have to rank em
Lynch
Nelson
Meachem
LeopoldStotch
Junior
And1: 0

Post#17 » by LeopoldStotch » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 pm

I'd go Lynch or take a S/CB. I think Olsen is drastically overrated just because he's the best TE in a weak class. Look at his production, the guy is not worth a 1st round pick. I trust TTs player evaluation, so if he likes Lynch and he's available, that's a likely scenario. Otherwise, I could see us trading down to the end of the round or lower. I think WR is too much of a gamble and not a big enough need to grab one in the 1st.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#18 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 pm

I really like Meachem as well. I've always liked Lynch, but I'm okay with passing on him if they question his character or want to go after a RB in next year's stellar class. I've always liked Aaron Ross, though it sounds like Darrell Revis is more in our range around 16. I'm fine with Reggie Nelson, and TGJr is growing on me since talking myself into him a few days ago.

I sound indecisive, don't I? I think when it all comes down to it, I still probably prefer Lynch. But there are a lot of names I wouldn't mind at all. There's no one I really am vehemently against. Except Hall - if he were to fall I hope we let him keep falling.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:16 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I really like Meachem as well. I've always liked Lynch, but I'm okay with passing on him if they question his character or want to go after a RB in next year's stellar class. I've always liked Aaron Ross, though it sounds like Darrell Revis is more in our range around 16. I'm fine with Reggie Nelson, and TGJr is growing on me since talking myself into him a few days ago.

I sound indecisive, don't I? I think when it all comes down to it, I still probably prefer Lynch. But there are a lot of names I wouldn't mind at all. There's no one I really am vehemently against. Except Hall - if he were to fall I hope we let him keep falling.

I agree and I'd add Greg Olson to that list.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#20 » by Nowak008 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 am

xTitan wrote:If Lynch is there at 16 I am convinced the Packers could still trade down 4-5 spots at least and still grab him. I was never high on Lynch but caught a portion of the HOMERs show on 1510Am, Aaron Rodgers and the voice of Cal football sold Lynch very very hard and very well.

Moving down and still getting Lynch would be a dream.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Green Bay Packers