General Manager
And1: 11

Power Rankings 

Post#1 » by MadCityBucky » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 am

Fox Sports (Packers #8 )

CBSports (Packers #3)

ESPN (Packers #5)

Yahoo Sports (Packers #5 & #3)

Fox Sports must be full of idiots. The Packers beat the Giants and the Chargers, yet they are ahead in the power rankings?
jligon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by jligon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 am

I suppose there's always the debate whether the ranking should be what a team has earned, their record and who they've beaten, or the ranking of who it is felt the best teams are, despite their record.
mbucks22
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by mbucks22 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:19 am

Fox Sports also has the Jaguars ahead of us. The same Jaguars that were destroyed last night on national TV. Lay off the crack Fox Sports.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#4 » by DelaneyRudd » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:29 am

I am with Brett, this team still has ways to improve. Even if they were undefeated like they should be I wouldn't put them above the Cowboys.
DMBucks22
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#5 » by DMBucks22 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm

4th or 5th.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:25 am

I got a chuckle at Dr. Z's rankings...

He's got the Packers at #5. That's fine. But he's got the 5-2 Giants ahead of the Pack at #4. The same Giants that the Packers beat in NY.

I understand that they've played well lately, but they've also beaten the #10, #22, #28, #29 and #30th ranked teams on his list.

Packers have beaten his #4, #10, #11, #22 and #24th ranked teams.

Come on...are you kidding me Z?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#7 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 am

Well fortunately the NFL is decided on the field and not in the heads of nerds like in college. If the Packers win on the field and in the playoffs that is it. No illegal monopoly needed.
bigrich88
Junior
And1: 3

Post#8 » by bigrich88 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:01 pm

usually these power rankings done by the media are biased. i would place the pack around 4-6

1. colts- great offense, great defense. defneding champions and still haven't lost so cause of that i put them here.

2. patriots- do i really need to explain why they should be here.

3. cowboys- great offense and their defense is solid in my opinion.

4. packers- one of the highest ranked passing offenses in the NFL, and the running game isnt there yet but i think the running game will become serviceable soon. and the defense is elite.

5. chargers- the offense is starting to show life again, defense is stepping it up. and the chambers trade will make this offense much better. they are starting to play like last years team and will only improve each week
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,538

Post#9 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:38 am

bigrich88 wrote:usually these power rankings done by the media are biased. i would place the pack around 4-6

1. colts- great offense, great defense. defneding champions and still haven't lost so cause of that i put them here.

2. patriots- do i really need to explain why they should be here.

3. cowboys- great offense and their defense is solid in my opinion.

4. packers- one of the highest ranked passing offenses in the NFL, and the running game isnt there yet but i think the running game will become serviceable soon. and the defense is elite.

5. chargers- the offense is starting to show life again, defense is stepping it up. and the chambers trade will make this offense much better. they are starting to play like last years team and will only improve each week

Yes you really do have to explain...there can be no possible reason for the Pats not to be #1.
mbucks22
Banned User

Post#10 » by mbucks22 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:00 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes you really do have to explain...there can be no possible reason for the Pats not to be #1.

Well you see there is this team known as the Indianapolis Colts, who won the Super Bowl last year, and haven't lost yet this year that would disagree.
bucks59
Senior

Post#11 » by bucks59 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:08 am

mbucks22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well you see there is this team known as the Indianapolis Colts, who won the Super Bowl last year, and haven't lost yet this year that would disagree.

Well you see, there is team called the Patriots who have not had a close game yet and have one of the talented teams, on both sides of the ball, that the NFL has seen in quite some time.

The Pats have the best offense, arguably the best defense or at least a top 5 defense, a great coach, and are winning games by 14 points a game. They have covered the spread in all 7 games, and have not had a single close game. Brady is on pace to have the single best QB season ever, and Moss is on pace to have one of the best WR seasons ever. And while the Colts won the Super Bowl LAST YEAR, the Pats added much more talent to both sides of the ball for THIS YEAR.

None of this is to say that the Colts arent a great team, or that they cant beat the Pats when they play in 10 days. But until that happens, its stupid to put the Colts above the Pats.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:57 am

The Colts won the Super Bowl last year. They've yet to lose this season. They're still #1 as far as I'm concerned.

I have no doubts at all that they'll take care of the Pats next week.
mbucks22
Banned User

Post#13 » by mbucks22 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:32 am

bucks59 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well you see, there is team called the Patriots who have not had a close game yet and have one of the talented teams, on both sides of the ball, that the NFL has seen in quite some time.

The Pats have the best offense, arguably the best defense or at least a top 5 defense, a great coach, and are winning games by 14 points a game. They have covered the spread in all 7 games, and have not had a single close game. Brady is on pace to have the single best QB season ever, and Moss is on pace to have one of the best WR seasons ever. And while the Colts won the Super Bowl LAST YEAR, the Pats added much more talent to both sides of the ball for THIS YEAR.

None of this is to say that the Colts arent a great team, or that they cant beat the Pats when they play in 10 days. But until that happens, its stupid to put the Colts above the Pats.

That's nice. Still doesn't change that the Colts are the defending champs and they have yet to lose.

If the Pats win in 10 days, yeah then they are #1. Until then, no.
bucks59
Senior

Post#14 » by bucks59 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:06 am

mbucks22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's nice. Still doesn't change that the Colts are the defending champs and they have yet to lose.

If the Pats win in 10 days, yeah then they are #1. Until then, no.

We have to agree to disagree, I feel that is terrible logic to use. Brady has 16 more TDS and one less interception than Manning, and the Patriots defense is better than the defense for the Colts. This logic makes no sense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:13 am

We have to agree to disagree, I feel that is terrible logic to use. Brady has 16 more TDS and one less interception than Manning, and the Patriots defense is better than the defense for the Colts. This logic makes no sense.

No it isn't.
bucks59
Senior

Post#16 » by bucks59 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:12 am

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No it isn't.

Well, I just looked at the numbers, and the Colts are actually slightly better on defense - they have given up 5 less yards a game, they are wore against the pass but better against the run.

But the Patriots offense has 11 more TDs than the Colts on the season. That should be enough to put them at number in a power rankings.
jligon
Sophomore

Post#17 » by jligon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:40 am

You can't simply judge a defense by how many yards they give up or how many points they give up. If you're a high powered offense, scoring in just a matter of minutes each time you get the ball, your defense is going to be on the field more often and you're probably going to give up more points. If you're a team that runs the ball and uses up the clock with long, methodical drives, your defense is going to be sitting more, giving up no yardage or points. In other words, looking better because their offense has the ball longer.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:56 am

Well, I just looked at the numbers, and the Colts are actually slightly better on defense - they have given up 5 less yards a game, they are wore against the pass but better against the run.

But the Patriots offense has 11 more TDs than the Colts on the season. That should be enough to put them at number in a power rankings.

The Pats have been as dominant a team as I've seen.

But the fact is that the team that won the Super Bowl last season hasn't lost yet either and they've played a significantly tougher schedule.

As it turns out, they'll both play each other and that should settle the regular season debate.
jligon
Sophomore

Post#19 » by jligon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:24 am

DrugBust wrote:As it turns out, they'll both play each other and that should settle the regular season debate.

Yes. I thought I was on a college football forum there for a minute.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:52 am

jligon wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes. I thought I was on a college football forum there for a minute.

:D Almost seems like it, doesn't it?

Not sure what it is, but I can't buy into the Pats yet. The one quality opponent they've beaten, the Cowboys, I've considered pretty overrated but even they basically screwed themselves. If you're going up against a ridiculous offense, you need to keep them off the field, right? Don't you do that running the ball?

Julius Jones averaged 8.5 ypc that game. Barber averaged 5.9. But between them they only saw 14 rushes. Dallas decided they were going to pass themselves to a loss.

New England gets a good one back this week in Seymore. Still, I think if you run right at the Pats you can move the ball consistently.

Like I said earlier, I think the Colts win in Indy. The talk of the season thus far has been the Pats and people are already saying they've got a good shot at 19-0. But look at opponent winning percentage:

Colts: 52%
Pats: 36%

I can't wait to see the line in Vegas on the game. My guess is Vegas is going to make a killing on the Colts.

Return to Green Bay Packers