ImageImageImage

2011 Free Agency

pumpfakeforprez
Sophomore
And1: 1

2011 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by pumpfakeforprez » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:01 am

CB Johnathon Joseph, S Danieal Manning. We've released Okoye, Anderson, and Orvolosky. Thoughts?
Kal El
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: 2011 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by Kal El » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Of course i was gushing over the idea of Asomugha to the Texans but at the end of the day, he wanted to go to a contender and i can't blame him for but. But we did get a top corner in Jonathan Joseph. He will help our defense tremendously in the back end and hopefully he can help and teach our young guys mainly Kareem Jackson.

Daniel Manning is a very solid safety coming from a Bears team that has been known for their defense for years. He should be also be a big help covering the field and solidifying our defense.

I love what the Texans have been able to do so far. On paper we still have possible holes, DT for one. Then we he have questions, like how Mario will be as a linebacker, can Glover Quin be a better safety than he was a corner, can Kareem Jackson enter his 2nd year a solid corner etc... But I'm definitely excited to see our new 3-4 scheme under Wade Phillips.
pumpfakeforprez
Sophomore

2011 Free Agency 

Post#3 » by pumpfakeforprez » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:11 pm

I agree that Wade Phillips will help our defense greatly. But do you think three weeks is enough time for our guys to learn his 3-4 scheme?
pumpfakeforprez
Sophomore

2011 Free Agency 

Post#4 » by pumpfakeforprez » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:29 pm

And... We failed to re-sign Vonta Leach. He's off to Baltimore.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#5 » by Kal El » Mon Aug 1, 2011 3:55 am

yeah that's the one thing that scares me. we have a new scheme, new defensive coordinator and new defensive coaches, a bunch of rookies on defense expected to contribute early, a young secondary, and we don't have a whole hell lot of time. I don't expect us to go from 32nd pass defense in the league to the top in 1 year specially due to the circumstances, but i do expect to see improvement overall.

how much can we pick up in the time we have? i don't know its going to be tough. Other teams doesn't have as much changes to coaches and/or players so there's a lot of familiarity. so i think it will be a learning process throughout the year.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#6 » by Kal El » Tue Aug 2, 2011 5:37 am

Randy Moss retires, well so much for the possibility of him to houston...
SportySport
Ballboy

Post#7 » by SportySport » Tue Aug 2, 2011 6:43 am

I would not be surprised if Randy Moss came out of retirement if he saw the right opportunity. If the lack of a quality #2 receiver on our Texans rears it's ugly head but we are winning ugly I could see Randy coming to a team like our Texans. I am not saying it is likely but it is not an absurd possibility either. The only reason Randy Moss retired was because he wanted to be a Jet or a Patriot and he felt he was a better option than what those teams ultimately chose. He was right. Still, should a good team look to get great and require his services to do so, do not be surprised if he does not come out of retirement to play for that team. I don't think Randy Moss will feel good about how his NFL career ended.
SportySport
Ballboy

Post#8 » by SportySport » Tue Aug 2, 2011 7:07 am

Overall the two pieces the Texans added should help but I have the same concerns as you all. Plus I am not so sure signing Jacoby Jones was a wise decision as opposed to getting an upgrade at the position and one that would have come fairly cheap. There were not a bunch of top flight "high priced" receivers in their prime available. However what was available would have been worth singing to a short term contract.

Terrell Owens is available and though he has been fractious in locker rooms and he has worn out his welcome almost everywhere he has gone, to me he is worth a one season signing. Andre Johnson needs somebody who works hard playing beside him. I don't get that from Jacoby. Jacoby could learn to play the right way studying both Andre and Terrell. I know that anytime the possibility of signing a Terrell Owens or a Randy Moss to peoples teams freaks them out but these guys help good teams win a lot of games. The Texans are a good team and they need some players who have been a part of winning. Manning to a certain extent brings that to the defense but the offense needs a player along those lines.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#9 » by Kal El » Wed Aug 3, 2011 3:27 am

the only problem with a randy moss as i said before is which randy moss is going to show up for the season. half a$$ play leads to others getting injured. if he was this "motivated, something to prove, best shape of his life" then sure, why not, take a 1 year low risk chance on him.

as far a T.O. goes, i think Skip Bayless likes to call him Team Obliterator. Talent and hard work is undeniable but considering his age, i don't think his locker room issues are worth it. same can be said with moss.

I refuse to believe that there are no available #2 receivers out there and that we are forced to have walter and jones instead. Andre Johnson has been in the league for 8 seasons, and not one season have i seen a great complimentary receiver on the other side. Every year its always, "ehh i guess he's good enough". Even though the Texans have a great offense, they need to seriously invest on a #2 receiver and stop relying on Andre Johnson catching 10 balls a game or 100+ yds a game. I'm pretty sure that the rest of the league has caught on that AJ is the best receiver in the game and im sure for the past few years they know to focus their pass defense on #80/.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#10 » by Kal El » Fri Aug 5, 2011 5:01 am

the 49ers got Braylon Edwards for 1 year deal worth $3.5 mil. I don't understand why the Texans weren't even in the mix?! For 1 year, $3.5 mil, you can't spend that money to get a good #2 receiver? If not Edwards due to his off the field issues, then surely there are options available. Other than the fact that Walter and Jones are more fit to be 3rd receivers, I know nobody wants to and likes to talk about it but hey its part of football. When Andre Johnson does not play, our starting receivers are Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones. I know defense is our #1 issue and we have been a top offense in the league for a couple of years but if we are aiming to become a legit team, surely we must take this issue more seriously.
pumpfakeforprez
Sophomore

2011 Free Agency 

Post#11 » by pumpfakeforprez » Mon Aug 8, 2011 4:12 am

We're over the cap last time I heard. But that was about a week ago.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#12 » by Kal El » Mon Aug 8, 2011 4:45 am

i guess... but there's always a way around that. i wish nfl salaries are available the way nba salaries are... anyways in WR related news, Bills are supposedly open to trade Lee Evans

Return to Houston Texans