ImageImageImage

2017 Offseason Thread

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,113

2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Soooo, it's time I guess. Sadly, this thread is being made prior to Feb. 5th, but what can you do. Here we are!

First order of business, re-sign Bouye. Getting Johnson back healthy and pairing him with Bouye while hopefully moving Kareem over to safety with Demps(assuming we re-sign him as he's also a FA) should help shore up the secondary, though I'd still like to see them draft a DB in the early rounds. Not sure what they will do with Joseph, cut him to clear cap space or bring him back as a veteran backup?

In the draft I'd like to see them focus on the O-Line as top priority. Getting Martin healthy at C should help, but it was still a weakness this year, and with Newton most likely done and Clark being awful we need to strengthen that line.

QB remains an issue, obviously. I don't know who in the draft is worth taking a chance on(Watson?) and who knows if they will even be available when we pick. Hopefully Savage can win the job and show some improvement and we can cut ties with Osweiler at the end of the season, unless he miraculously proves he can be something more than a mediocre QB. I'm curious to see how the firing of Godsey, and Ass Chin assuming all the playcalling duties, might affect the offense.

Reader should be able to slide into the starting NT spot with Wilfork likely retiring, though it'd be sweet if he came back for one last ride!

Simon and Dent are both FA's as well, and with Cushing being another year older we might want to look into drafting another LB. That Scarlett kid seems to have some real potential, though. There is also that Watt guy who will hopefully be returning, and if he's even remotely close to what he was before(I have strong doubts on that, of course) then the already pretty damn good defense could potentially be even better. I am happy to see we retained Romeo and Vrabel, with Vrabel taking over the defensive coordinator position while Romeo will be assuming more of the head coaching duties, presumably allowing Ass Chin to focus his so-called magic on the offense.

We could use a legit #2 RB to pair with Miller, and with Griffin being a FA, another TE to pair with C.J. is also an area of need.

Anyways, with the defense already being pretty solid, the offense is where I'd like to see them focus most of their attention, especially if we're going to be stuck without a legit QB for yet another season.

Any specific players in this draft ya'll think the Texans should be targeting? Maybe take a chance on Watson if he is somehow available?
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Prince12 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Brock is gone!!! I don't know how but he is gone!

Sadly Bouye got paid big time elsewhere. If we are going to wind up with Romo which does look likely now I just struggle to understand whuy we didn't franchise Bouye and make a run at it this season. Wish we could have found a way to keep him. Demps gone aswell so a bit of a rough start to FA for us.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Brock cost us our second rounder next year and I believe a 4th rounder this year. Worth it to clear the cap space.

I don't know how I feel about Romo or Cutler, though.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#4 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Hell no to Cutler, and Romo would be somewhat tolerable if he can stay healthy, but of course since he's a perennial choker/loser he'd just probably Hoyer us in the playoffs anyways(if we got that far, of course).

The 4th rounder is actually one we received in exchange for Brock, a 6th round pick this year, and next years 2nd round pick.

The problem is they should never have signed him in the first place, but that's over now so whatever. We're still in the same mess as always, needing a QB with nothing but crap to choose from.

More and more I am looking back and thinking not taking Carr was a big mistake. Granted, the Texans don't have the O-Line he has in Oakland, but at least we'd have our QB!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:47 am

Good example of why I have been concerned about the O-Line, especially that right side and even more so now that Newton is likely toast:

Read on Twitter

:noway:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#6 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Griffin re-signed to a 3- yr deal.

Yawn.
Prince12
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prince12 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:07 am

If you could guarantee Romo would be healthy you'd do it in a heartbeat. I still think its worth it. Our QB play is so pathetic we have nothing to lose.

zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#8 » by zapatasblood » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Not least bit happy about trading up to get Watson or any QB. They should have stayed put and took the best OL available or just maybe Watson falls into lap if your lucky but still rather they go OL
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#9 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm

zapatasblood wrote:Not least bit happy about trading up to get Watson or any QB. They should have stayed put and took the best OL available or just maybe Watson falls into lap if your lucky but still rather they go OL

I don't know how good he will be, but I think they gave up too much to move up and get him. No first or second round pick(though that one was part of the Osweiler trade) next year sucks.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#10 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm actually pretty happy with this draft overall, even though I don't like giving up first round picks, but I guess they had to have some balls and make a move to grab someone like Watson. I hope that decision pans out but I'll at least give them some credit for taking the chance. No way we could roll into yet another season with just Savage/Weeden at QB, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic on that one.

I know we all want to see more OL help, but from what I've been reading this was a pretty weak draft for OL talent. Davenport is an intriguing pick though, that dude is a big boy and looks like he's got real talent and upside but will be a project and take some time to develop. Not a bad pick in the 4th round.

REALLY like the Foreman pick. That sets up a very nice 1-2 combo at the RB spot. Maybe now we can stop with the ridiculous "run Miller up the middle" plays and utilize him properly.

Haven't had much of a chance to really dive into all of the picks in depth so will post more thoughts later.

That said, I'm already ready for some frikkin' football! Glad I got the Astros to help get me through what will be a long summer.

Oh, and Let's Go Rockets! So lame they're not playing today.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 1:45 pm

Prince12
RealGM

Post#12 » by Prince12 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Buahahahahahahahaha!!!

http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/38762/Browns-Find-Brock-Osweiler-To-Be-Pleasant-Surprise

Oh Hue...you funny guy, you.

Brock "just look at the film" Osweiler.

Return to Houston Texans