ImageImageImage

Dunta Robinson

Munchlaxatives
RealGM
And1: 9

Dunta Robinson 

Post#1 » by Munchlaxatives » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:24 pm

He reportedly turned down a contract that compared well to Chris Gamble's...even though Gamble by far is a better corner. He hasn't signed his $10 million franchise tag offer, and after July 15, he cannot work out a long term deal.

Does anyone actually think he's worth being paid like a top corner? It'll take some convincing to prove to me that he's better than Jacques Reeves.
I'm sorry I haven't been funny. I am not a comedian. I am Lenny Bruce.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Dunta Robinson 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I've started to think that he is being unreasonable with his demands. Fact of the matter is that he is coming off of a serious injury, and while he has shown he can still play he is not quite at the level he was before. Dude needs to come to grips with the fact that he isn't going to get much sympathy in this economic climate because his $10 million, 1 year deal isn't enough.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Munchlaxatives
RealGM

Post#3 » by Munchlaxatives » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 am

Quite honestly, I think Jacques Reeves is more consistent.

Sure, we've seen Reeves get burnt, but when D-Rob gets burnt, we don't notice because he got left behind several yards behind. He tends to over-commit and he just grabs the WR instead of chasing him.

I honestly don't think he's even top 15, let alone top 5 like he thinks.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 am

Munchlaxatives wrote:Quite honestly, I think Jacques Reeves is more consistent.

Sure, we've seen Reeves get burnt, but when D-Rob gets burnt, we don't notice because he got left behind several yards behind. He tends to over-commit and he just grabs the WR instead of chasing him.

I honestly don't think he's even top 15, let alone top 5 like he thinks.

Can't argue with any of that.

I think that the one thing that Dunta has really brought to the defense is the attitude, swagger and bravado. He's kind of been the vocal leader, but I think that between this holdout and a healthy season from DeMeco, that may be neutralized a bit.
- Winston Churchill
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#5 » by KiDdFrESh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm

You believe Reeves is just as good as Dunta? C'mon now! Seriously? Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Reeves, but Mario, Ryans, & Dunta are the faces of the Texans defense. Look at how we started the season last year with Dunta out. You think it was just coincidence that we went 0-4 without him and 8-4 with him? When have the Texans ever put together a stretch like that ever in their exsistence as a franchise? NEVER!

Dunta is pissing me off too but you have to bring him back. This is team that is finally taking a step foward and losing key players like Dunta and possibly Daniels & Ryans is just going to negate all foward progess this team has taken the past two years.

I cant wait for f*cken football season to start. Hopefully this board will pick up.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#6 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm

I was under the impression Dunta was holding out until the Texans guarantee they won't franchise him against next season.

If this is true, they should do it, but at the same time he's being somewhat of a female dog about it so I really don't care that much about him.

We do however need to get Owen and DeMeco back ASAP.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#7 » by Icness » Wed Aug 5, 2009 1:45 pm

Robinson is an overrated malcontent...but Tuesday's practice probably got him a lot more $$$. Jacques Reeves is out until October, at the earliest, with a broken leg suffered in practice.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 6, 2009 1:48 am

Reeves going down really sucks, but I doubt that Robinson will be back at practice any time soon. Driving around listening to the radio here and there today sounds like a lot of people are at their wits end with Dunta's act. I have to agree that he's not a top 5 CB, and that the offer they reportedly extended to him was way more than far - more like rewarding his dedication to the team rather than what they thought he was worth as a CB.

Of the 3-D situation (DeMeco, Dunta & Daniels) I'd say that even with the injury to Reeves, DeMeco and Daniels are the bigger priorities.
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#9 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Aug 6, 2009 3:53 am

John McClain wrote about Dunta earlier:

I believe Dunta Robinson will ride into town earlier than expected and become the White Knight who rescues the Texans' secondary. I've said for months I believed Robinson would arrive the Sunday before the opener against the New York Jets, sign his tender as the franchise player and dive head first into the defense and play in the first game.

Robinson, who has been working out like a fiend in New Jersey and Florida, is the heart and soul of this defense. No matter what you think about him turning down $23 million guaranteed — it's just bidness — you can't deny what he means to the defense when it comes to leadership and commitment. He's given everything he had to the organization for five years, including recovering from surgery on his knee and hamstring last year.

When Robinson didn't get the contract he wanted and was franchised by general manager Rick Smith, he took it personally and lashed out. He's had a lot of time to think about it but hasn't been heard from. The last time I spoke with him was draft day.

I do know this about Robinson: It's killing him to not be in camp. You can't have that much pride and be that competitive and not miss being with your teammates.

The Texans need Robinson, and Robinson needs the Texans. If they have the kind of season most of his believe they will, the price of doing business will go up. Players signing next year should get even more money because salaries around the league will have increased, and if the team is coming off its first playoff season, players will have to be rewarded accordingly.

If Robinson comes in early and Antwaun Molden comes off PUP in a couple of weeks to go with Fred Bennett, Glover Quin and Brice McCain, cornerback will be a deep and talented position quicker than many of us thought it would.

No matter when Robinson reports, the money won't change. He'll get $9.957 million as the franchise player. When he comes in, he'll be inserted as the starter next to Bennett rather than Reeves, who is out for six to eight weeks.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/08/here ... ill_r.html

Let us hope he's right.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Munchlaxatives
RealGM

Post#10 » by Munchlaxatives » Thu Aug 6, 2009 7:11 am

RaoulDuke79 wrote:We do however need to get Owen and DeMeco back ASAP.

Owen and DeMeco are here.

KiDdFrESh wrote:You think it was just coincidence that we went 0-4 without him and 8-4 with him?

Did you live in Houston last year? There was a little rain around October.
czarleon09
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by czarleon09 » Thu Aug 6, 2009 6:26 pm

I do seem to remember a bit of rain arounf then, if I remember correctly it was kind of windy too.

Personally I don't think holdouts work unless the team is offering you a rediculasly bad contract, and the Texans offer seemed good. At this point all he's is doing is hurting his reputation.

Return to Houston Texans