Indianapolis officially submits 2011 Super Bowl Bid

Moderator: Jake0890

Pacersin2007
Sophomore
And1: 0

Indianapolis officially submits 2011 Super Bowl Bid 

Post#1 » by Pacersin2007 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:57 pm

per Indy Star

Indianapolis' bid to host the 2011 Super Bowl is in the hands of NFL officials.

Allison Melangton, senior vice president of event management for the Indiana Sports Corp., hand-delivered the document to the NFL offices in New York City at about 11:30 this morning.
"I don't have any luggage now," said Melangton, who caught a 7:45 a.m. flight to New York and who was scheduled to return to Indianapolis this evening. "I left it all there."
Arizona and North Texas also submitted bids this morning, the deadline to be considered as a host for the 2011 Super Bowl, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.
No other bids were expected.
The league's 32 team owners are expected to select a location for the 2011 Super Bowl at their spring meeting, scheduled for May 21-23 in Nashville, Tenn.
Representatives of Indianapolis 2011 Inc., the nonprofit group leading the effort to lure the Super Bowl here, won't divulge too many details about what Indianapolis' bid contains, saying they don't want to give their competitors an edge. But the NFL essentially requires Indianapolis to prove it could the fans that would descend on the city for the big game.
For example, the bid committee has so far secured contracts from hotels agreeing to hold more than 17,000 rooms for the Super Bowl. Ninety-four venues have also agreed to hold open their facilities from Jan. 31, 2011, through Feb. 7, 2011, to be used for parties and other Super Bowl-related events. They range from the Indiana State Fairgrounds to the Indiana Roof Ballroom and include the Eiteljorg Museum and the Indiana State Museum.
The next step is that representatives from Indianapolis 2011 Inc. will travel to Philadelphia next Tuesday to meet with NFL staff, who will review the bid and discuss possible improvements.
After that, the owners' meeting is the next major milestone.
There, each location hoping to host the 2011 Super Bowl will make a 10-minute presentation to the owners.
Owners vote by secret ballot. A location needs 75 percent of the votes to win on the first ballot. If no location gets enough support, the lowest vote-getter will be eliminated and then only a simple majority of votes will be needed.
"Now we're going to shift our attention to preparing the presentation," Melangton said.

Link

Personally I think Indy has a good shot. Lucas Oil Stadium looks amazing, and being a competitive team should count for something. I see Dallas in the front right now, us second, Arizona in third, just by guessing.

The 10-minute presentation will likely decide whether or not we get the bid. Let's hope the owners cannot understand the strong accent of the Dallas presenters :rofl:
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#2 » by Icness » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:59 pm

I hope Indy gets it. That new stadium looks freaking sweet!
Pacersin2007
Sophomore

Post#3 » by Pacersin2007 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:02 pm

Yeah, the new stadium does look real nice. They had a whole page layout of our SB bid in the Star, and a nice picture of the most recent drawing of Lucas Oil Stadium. It looked nicer than ever :)
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PR07 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:05 pm

If Detroit can host a Super Bowl, I see no reason as to why Indianapolis can't. That's not a shot at Detroit, but we're both bigger Midwestern cities with not so flattering weather. Plus, "The Luke" is going to be a football paradise in the middle of Indiana.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Indianapolis officially submits 2011 Super Bowl Bid 

Post#5 » by Latrell » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:11 pm

Pacersin2007 wrote:per Indy Star

Indianapolis' bid to host the 2011 Super Bowl is in the hands of NFL officials.

Allison Melangton, senior vice president of event management for the Indiana Sports Corp., hand-delivered the document to the NFL offices in New York City at about 11:30 this morning.
"I don't have any luggage now," said Melangton, who caught a 7:45 a.m. flight to New York and who was scheduled to return to Indianapolis this evening. "I left it all there."
Arizona and North Texas also submitted bids this morning, the deadline to be considered as a host for the 2011 Super Bowl, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.
No other bids were expected.
The league's 32 team owners are expected to select a location for the 2011 Super Bowl at their spring meeting, scheduled for May 21-23 in Nashville, Tenn.
Representatives of Indianapolis 2011 Inc., the nonprofit group leading the effort to lure the Super Bowl here, won't divulge too many details about what Indianapolis' bid contains, saying they don't want to give their competitors an edge. But the NFL essentially requires Indianapolis to prove it could the fans that would descend on the city for the big game.
For example, the bid committee has so far secured contracts from hotels agreeing to hold more than 17,000 rooms for the Super Bowl. Ninety-four venues have also agreed to hold open their facilities from Jan. 31, 2011, through Feb. 7, 2011, to be used for parties and other Super Bowl-related events. They range from the Indiana State Fairgrounds to the Indiana Roof Ballroom and include the Eiteljorg Museum and the Indiana State Museum.
The next step is that representatives from Indianapolis 2011 Inc. will travel to Philadelphia next Tuesday to meet with NFL staff, who will review the bid and discuss possible improvements.
After that, the owners' meeting is the next major milestone.
There, each location hoping to host the 2011 Super Bowl will make a 10-minute presentation to the owners.
Owners vote by secret ballot. A location needs 75 percent of the votes to win on the first ballot. If no location gets enough support, the lowest vote-getter will be eliminated and then only a simple majority of votes will be needed.
"Now we're going to shift our attention to preparing the presentation," Melangton said.

Link

Personally I think Indy has a good shot. Lucas Oil Stadium looks amazing, and being a competitive team should count for something. I see Dallas in the front right now, us second, Arizona in third, just by guessing.

The 10-minute presentation will likely decide whether or not we get the bid. Let's hope the owners cannot understand the strong accent of the Dallas presenters :rofl:

Well Arizona is getting it next year so doubt they'll get it in 2011, and I heard Dallas will get the NBA All-Star game and they will play it in the new Texas Stadium, so I think we should be the front-runners if anything.
Pacersin2007
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Pacersin2007 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:18 pm

I didn't hear about Dallas and the NBA ASG.

Bodes well for us, I guess.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#7 » by Latrell » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:53 am

Pacersin2007 wrote:I didn't hear about Dallas and the NBA ASG.

Bodes well for us, I guess.

Yeah its nothing official though, I actually heard Kenny and Charles talk about the possibility of it on TNT a few weeks ago.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#8 » by J.Kim » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:33 am

From a Stadium standpoint, it'd be great....

But what does Indianapolis have to offer outside of the Stadium? I think the NFL will be looking for those type of things (Transportation, Amenities, Entertainment and etc.) More so than the Stadium itself....
Pacersin2007
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Pacersin2007 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:06 am

Well, we have whatever the Final Four organizers liked.

Among them:

Speedway (Indy 500), Convention Center, Museums, nice weather (sometimes.. this year.. burrr), Conseco is always a nice place to go, and if the Pacers are contending (who knows in 2011..) it'll be a nice event possibly.
Mickey Mouse
Banned User

Post#10 » by Mickey Mouse » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:11 pm

I hope we don't get it. If we do, we'll be dissed all month long like Jacksonville was. People saying how they wish they were in Miami or Los Angeles with the sunshine and the beaches. On second though, screw those people.
bballpacen
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#11 » by bballpacen » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:59 pm

[quote="Mickey Mouse"]I hope we don't get it. If we do, we'll be dissed all month long like Jacksonville was. People saying how they wish they were in Miami or Los Angeles with the sunshine and the beaches. On second though, screw those people.[/quote]Who gives a crap what they think

Return to Indianapolis Colts