Colts' Board Prospect of Week: OLB Lawrence Timmons

Moderator: Jake0890

PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Colts' Board Prospect of Week: OLB Lawrence Timmons 

Post#1 » by PR07 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:17 pm

With the NFL Draft quickly approaching, Latrell and myself have decided to make a series of "Colts Board Prospects of the Week" in order to get to better know some of the prospects that could be Colts in late April. Hope you enjoy. First up is....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Prospect Name: Lawrence Timmons
College: Florida State (Jr.)
Hometown: Florence, S.C.
Date of Birth: 5/14/86
Position: OLB
Measurables: 6"3 232 LB 4.62
Projection: Mid-Late First Round pick
NFL Comparison: Raiders' OLB Thomas Howard

Strengths:
Athletic, with good size and speed. Plays on sheer instincts, but slowly developed a better feel for the game as his junior season progressed. Shows good flexibility and range to make plays along the sidelines. Most productive against outside run where he is quick to cut off runners turning the corner. Tough and agressive and plays with a mean streak. Apt at shedding blocks with hands and can play over the tight end. Good change of direction through traffic. Big hitter (more collision type) and steady tackler as he takes good angles to close. Shows solid ability in drop back in pass coverage. Has the tools to be a solid blitzer due to his timing and second gear to get to the QB.

Weaknesses: Raw with limited starting experience. Lacks brute strength but has the frame to add some muscle. Still prone biting on play-action or peeking into the backfield too long. Relies too much on his burst in coverage instead of technique. Struggles some to locate the deep pass. Could finish his tackles better as he relies more on impact than securing the ball defender down with his arms. Tries to slip and avoid blocks rather than take them on while blitzing.

Overview: High energy player who will make plays all over the field with his great football instincts. The kind of athlete who can change a game around and make difference-making plays. A big hitter already, and he has the frame to add at least 10 more pounds of muscle. A sideline to sideline defender who will make explosive plays all over the field. Might be best suited at the weakside LB position as he starts his career.

Some credit to Street&Smith's and Lindy's draft guides

Feel free to discuss
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#2 » by A-Town Connection » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:45 pm

Personally i would love to have this guy. I am not usually big on guys who don't have alot of experience, but if he drops to us, i dont think we could pass. Freddie will be good, but both these guys would be better
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#3 » by FreeRon » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:57 am

Prototypical Colts pick with the exception of the size. I personally don't care if he bites the play action so long as we can actually stop the run this year. Looking in the backfield too long as a LB is better than not looking long enough.

Return to Indianapolis Colts