Moderator: Jake0890

PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Colts Confident in New CB Duo 

Post#1 » by PR07 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:06 pm

The Colts lost their two CB starters, are they afraid? Nope, their confident:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Between them, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden have two regular-season starts at cornerback and a pair of interceptions in their four combined NFL campaigns.

Jackson has more starts at safety in a career spent bouncing around the secondary. Hayden, a one-time wide receiver, didn't move to defense until his senior year in college. But when the Colts convened here Friday afternoon for the initial practice of a mandatory weekend minicamp, the somewhat unlikely pair lined up at cornerback with the No. 1 defense.

The Colts opted not to make a big move to acquire a veteran cornerback through free agency or invest a high-round choice on the position in the draft. That's because Indianpolis is confident it has successfully filled twin voids created by the offseason departures of two starters.

And who could blame them?

The Colts did, after all, capture the Super Bowl XLI title with one starting cornerback, Nick Harper, who had signed as an undrafted free agent. The other starter, Jason David, was a fourth-round pick. Jackson and Hayden, on the other hand, were Indianapolis' first- and second-round selections in the 2005 draft. When it comes to replacing critical defensive components, the Colts have a been-there-done-that history filling key spots with younger players.

"The thing about this team is that they bring you here, coach you well and expect that, when it's your time to play, you're going to be ready," said Jackson, who started six games at free safety in 2006 and two at strong safety but none at cornerback until the postseason. "There is always going to be a foundation that they (provide) for you. But they expect you to grow up fast around here ... More than anything, they just kind of believe in you."

full article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2875837

Both of these guys are much better athletes than Harper and David were. I'm confident in both of their abilities as well. They've played well when given the opportunity, and both have the ability to have a lot of success in the Cover 2.

The article also goes on to say that Tim Jennings will be the nickel back in passing situations, and both Hayden and himself will move outside with Marlin playing the slot during those times.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#2 » by A-Town Connection » Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Really enjoyed this article. I mean, i pretty much knew all this stuff but i like to see articles about us and not the freakin Pats haha. Personally i would like to see more articles on things we dont know....aka Corey Simon.. idk. Good article. Pacers man, we need to get some life on this board haha
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by PR07 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:43 pm

Agreed, it's nice to get some articles every now and then where we're in the spotlight. Regarding the board, it's going to be a process. In my opinion, we're already one of the better NFL team boards in terms of activity on RealGM as surprising as that may be, but this is just going to take some time. Can we improve? Absolutely. I'm hoping things will start to pick up more and more as the season gets closer as this is generally a pretty slow time during the NFL year. All we can do is post and post about our Colts, and hope more and more people post...which should eventually happen.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by A-Town Connection » Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 am

Yeah i get ya. Just letting you know you do a great job of putting out some great articles. I checked some other boards, not alot of topics. Keep it up man.
ajizzle
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by ajizzle » Mon May 21, 2007 5:49 pm

I'm most intrigued to see Jennings... He was injured l/y, and being in Tallahassee, I didn't get to see many Colts games, let alone games where Jennings got some real PT besides ST! I remember seeing some clips of him draft day, and heard about his hitting ability...

Going to a Catholic HS, our coach taught us first and foremost: We are going to hit, and hit hard. I was never a de-cleator or anything, but BoardWars and Hamburger (aka Oklahoma in some parts) were parts of practice I initially dredded, but grew to like the older and stronger I got. I think we may have our most physical secondary in quite some time.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by PR07 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Pound for pound Jennings might be our best athlete at CB. He ran a scorching 4.32 forty time coming out of the combine last year and had an impressive vertical. He very well could be a "Bob Sanders" type in the secondary, but like Sanders, he has to stay healthy.

Reports out of our mini-camp were positive on Jennings and our new defensive faces:

Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden worked with the first team and Tim Jennings had an excellent minicamp working the slot. Jackson is a former first-round choice and Jennings went in the second round. They are taller and faster than their predecessors, but they lack the battle-tested experience of Harper and David in big games. Because the Colts are an offensive team, general manager Bill Polian keeps drafting defensive players as potential replacements. Fourth-round choice Daymeion Hughes also will be a factor. It's time for Jackson, Hayden and Jennings to step up. Another positive sign was the play of linebacker Freddy Keiaho, who will replace Cato June on the weakside. June was a former college safety and helped in coverage. Keiaho could be a little better in run support, which was one of the Colts' biggest weaknesses last year.
pacerman06
Senior

Post#7 » by pacerman06 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:07 pm

I can't wait to see what Jackson, Hayden, and Jennings can do. Jennings may be short but so was David and Jennings is a better athlete than David. Jackson played a lot last year at safety and is very good at tackling. I'm so excited!
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by PR07 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Welcome to the board Pacerman, it's always nice to see some new Colt fan faces around. Nice posts, keep it up....

Return to Indianapolis Colts