ImageImage

Freeney gets 72 mil

Moderator: Jake0890

A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Freeney gets 72 mil 

Post#1 » by A-Town Connection » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:59 pm

Ok. Glad we signed the guy, but 30 mil guarennteed. Geez. I need to see how this breaks down. I love the guy, i really do, but do i want it to cost us Bob and Dallas...idk. Not to be negative, but we are really going to see some people leave because of this deal.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... lion_deal/
PacerGuy
Analyst

Post#2 » by PacerGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:03 pm

:o Highest paid Defensive player in NFL history!!!
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
bravesatl
Rookie

Post#3 » by bravesatl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:10 pm

this deal is ridiculous, freeney is officially a little overrated
RIP Coach Hep
pacerman06
Senior

Post#4 » by pacerman06 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:38 pm

I am now a little upset. That is way too expensive. I wonder who the Colts won't be able to resign because of this.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,069

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 pm

This was Freeney's market value. He probably would've gotten more on the open market if we allowed him to hit it.

As it is, the rest of our D-Line is better from having Freeney on the other side, as is our LB's. Think Mathis would've had double digit sacks last year without Freeney on the other side? Probably not. He's a long-term anchor for the defense, and as long as it doesn't prevent us from re-signing Bobby Sanders, it's an ok deal.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#6 » by PR07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:11 pm

We knew coming into this offseason that Freeney probably was going to become the highest paid defender ever. The same thing happened with Reggie Wayne, except he was the highest paid WR ever. That's just the way it works these days. If we hadn't paid Freeney, you can be assured that someone else would've. This is a good day because Polian and Irsay are committed to keeping our stars in a Colts' uniform.

Freeney will receive $37.72 million over the first three years of the contract. In doing the deal, the Colts will save $3.68 million of salary-cap room that they can use to keep other players whose contracts are expiring. The Colts had $3.4 million of cap room before reaching agreement with Freeney.

That is good news. I'm just going to guesstimate here, but that leaves us 7 million readily available (have we signed our rooks yet though?)....Tarik Glenn's contract expires after this season so that leaves us with around 8 million available (although it's possible we'll try to resign him)...that coupled with the raising of the salary cap next offseason, a few restructures of contracts, and cutting Corey Simon (should open up a few million) should put the Colts in a fairly good situation to resign both Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark. You also have to factor in signing rookies though for next offseason, so you'd probably have to subtract around at least 3-4 million.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by PR07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Here's what John Clayton had to say:

Naturally, general managers and capologists around the NFL initially will cringe at Freeney's contract. He's receiving a $30 million signing bonus. Over the first three years of his contract, he's going to receive $37.72 million. What everyone might be forgetting is general manager Bill Polian geared his whole offseason planning around getting a Freeney contract done. The Colts didn't spend more than $50,000 in signing-bonus money for any free-agent acquisition.

With Freeney's $30 million signing bonus, the Colts are still below the $109 million salary cap for 2007 and their cap number will go down roughly $4 million more once the team releases injured defensive tackle Corey Simon. In other words, the Colts aren't going broke rewarding their top defensive player.

The team saved $3.68 million of cap room by doing this deal. Add that to the money saved from releasing Simon and the Colts will have enough money to sign their draft choices and start working on locking up some of their other top free agents -- left tackle Tarik Glenn and safety Bob Sanders head that list.

Unlike Clayton, I think Dallas Clark is above Tarik Glenn on the priority list, and we'll most likely use the available cap space that Glenn occupied to resign both Sanders and Clark if the Ugoh selection has any indication.
ajizzle
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by ajizzle » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:21 am

A-Town wrote:
Ok. Glad we signed the guy, but 30 mil guarennteed. Geez. I need to see how this breaks down. I love the guy, i really do, but do i want it to cost us Bob and Dallas...idk. Not to be negative, but we are really going to see some people leave because of this deal.

It basically means Tarik better pull a Willie Beamon and "get his dollaz up" b/c he's most likely going to be the casualty of this signing, that is unless Peyton, Marvin, and Reggie all restructure their deals to the max for the next 3 years...
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#9 » by Latrell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:14 am

PacerRule07

We knew coming into this offseason that Freeney probably was going to become the highest paid defender ever. The same thing happened with Reggie Wayne, except he was the highest paid WR ever. That's just the way it works these days. If we hadn't paid Freeney, you can be assured that someone else would've. This is a good day because Polian and Irsay are committed to keeping our stars in a Colts' uniform.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean we have to pay him that. I like Dwight, I really do, but the deal is a bit pricey wouldn't you say? It will definately cripple our abiltity to sign key guys in the future, I'm not saying it will devastate us and we won't be feeling the effect of that for another few years but still at the moment IMO Dwight is overpaid. Now, was signing Dwight a bad move? Hell no, he may be overpaid now but its still Dwight Freeney( one of the best DE's in the last half-decade)...No one can be upset about this. I really wonder what Bob Sanders is gonna command when its time to re-up him though.
bravesatl
Rookie

Post#10 » by bravesatl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:51 pm

Latrell wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't mean we have to pay him that. I like Dwight, I really do, but the deal is a bit pricey wouldn't you say? It will definately cripple our abiltity to sign key guys in the future, I'm not saying it will devastate us and we won't be feeling the effect of that for another few years but still at the moment IMO Dwight is overpaid. Now, was signing Dwight a bad move? Hell no, he may be overpaid now but its still Dwight Freeney( one of the best DE's in the last half-decade)...No one can be upset about this. I really wonder what Bob Sanders is gonna command when its time to re-up him though.

:bowdown: , although i am a little upset

RIP Coach Hep
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by PR07 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:23 pm

You don't build a team through free agency....just ask the Redskins. The Colts have never been major FA players, and that won't change. Most of the bigtime free agents that are allowed to hit the open market generally have injury or character question marks and are vastly overpaid (See: Corey Simon).

You build your team through drafting and keeping your own. Yes, the Freeney deal looks pricey now, but in a season or so, Peppers will get a new deal that will pass it. The same was said for Reggie Wayne. How could we make him the highest paid WR (at the time)? Now, the deal looks pretty good. Every year, the salary cap is increased by a considerable amount, and it's the reason why the Colts have been able to keep so many star talents. Freeney's sack #'s were down, but he still was the guy that opposing offenses gameplanned for, he was still the guy that was getting doubled and even triple teamed. He's the guy on defense.

We can't worry about guys like Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark because the front office will get both of those guys in blue longterm. Sanders won't demand nearly as much as Freeney because safeties generally don't hit the bank the way premier pass-rushers can.
ajizzle
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by ajizzle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Giving DFree the money now w/ that huge bonus is actually helping as opposed to franchising him (We end up saving around $3-4 mil on the cap).

Sacks were down b/c we gave up 2500+ on the ground. Why would anyone pass when they can run? After we stopped sending Dwight and Mathis upfield every play and asked them to play the run, we got back to playing the D we expect out of this group.

Just like the Steelers of the '70s, the Colts are building their D around the DL, which is exactly what they should do while we're running Dungy's Cover 2... We finally realized that the Sam should be playing downhill most of the time, and Keiaho at the Will should be fine or better than June b/c of his tackling abilities. Polian struck gold in Bethea, and Bob is Bob.

As far as Dallas goes, he's an H-back moreso than a typical TE, and like our undersized, quicker defenders, his value is higher for us than other teams who seek the taller, longer TEs like Gonzalez or Witten. Granted, he's probably the best we've had at the position (a perfect mix of Pollard and Dilger), he won't command Gonzalez-like money on the FA market. The only way I see his value skyrocketing is if Utecht or Fletcher fall off horribly. We'll probably have to use him as a blocker t/y for Peyton's blindside to help out Ugoh or Johnson, so he might not have as many receptions t/y.

Overall, signing DFree to this deal was pricy, but the right thing to do. Polian and Irsay are almost always 5 step ahead and have long-term plans for the team's finances (which is why they've never given big money to those LBs who leave, partly b/c they knew Dwight was gonna command a lot), so I'll trust them over anyone else in the L.

Return to Indianapolis Colts