ImageImage

Gonzo out? Welcome to Indy Hank Baskett!

Moderator: Jake0890

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Gonzo out? Welcome to Indy Hank Baskett! 

Post#1 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:59 pm

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... k_baskett/

BOOM! Problem solved. The timing of Baskett's release from Philly couldn't have been any better. He will wear #81 and from what I've been reading that he's likely the 4th on the depth chart, but I'm assuming that's just until he learns the playbook a little better. I don't have any crazy thoughts that he's a top-tier WR in the NFL, but he's definitely better than Garcon and Collie. Although, I do think Collie is going to be a stud within a couple of seasons.

Baskett gives us something our WR's aren't typically known for either... size. He's 6'4" and 220 pounds. Going from Marvin (scrawny), Reggie (not exactly big), and Gonzo (same as Wayne), to Wayne, Baskett, and Collie gives us a completely different look with our WR's. Baskett also has big play capability. He was only the 2nd rookie in league history to post 2 85+ yard TD's in a season. He was also named special teams MVP by his teammates as a rookie (as we all know that's never one of our strong points), so he definitely has the ability to do a lot of different things on the field effectively.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach
And1: 538

Re: Gonzo out? Welcome to Indy Hank Baskett! 

Post#2 » by Bleeding Blue » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 pm

I really like this move. His career numbers aren't staggering by any means (72 rec, 1,052 yards, 6 TD), but he has big play ability and has only missed 1 game in his career. I think he will fill Gonzo's shoes nicely when he learns the playbook. I would love to see Baskett have a good year, move him to the #2 spot spread out and move Gonzo to the slot. We will see what happens, but I am optimistic.
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#3 » by Miller4ever » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 pm

This move will give us some great options for when Gonzo comes back. We can mix and match between Wayne, Gonzalez, Baskett, and Clark and come up with some interesting matchups.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:13 am

Miller4ever wrote:This move will give us some great options for when Gonzo comes back. We can mix and match between Wayne, Gonzalez, Baskett, and Clark and come up with some interesting matchups.

Definitely agree with that. I think a lineup of Wayne and Baskett on the outside with Gonzo in the slot and Dallas roaming pretty much all over the field, could be potentially great. It will be nice to see Baskett knocking DB's around off the line. I think his size is going to be a huge factor in his effectiveness for us. Peyton hasn't really had a target that could really get up after a pass since Marcus Pollard, and he wasn't exactly a deep ball threat, like Baskett could be.
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Bleeding Blue » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:57 pm

His size should really help is in our running game as well. Hopefully the stretch play can become effective again with a big body outside to help block. Size is also very nice to have when you get in the red zone.
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Bleeding Blue wrote:His size should really help is in our running game as well. Hopefully the stretch play can become effective again with a big body outside to help block. Size is also very nice to have when you get in the red zone.

The possibilities of what most consider a somewhat minor signing have me pretty amped. Doubt we'll see him much tonight, but I could see Baskett making a nice impact for us and potentially earning himself another contract at the end of the season.
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Bleeding Blue » Wed Oct 7, 2009 9:25 pm

Does anyone know why we aren't integrating him into our offense? I know our receivers are doing a great job, but I am confused. My only thought is that he hasnt learned the offense well enough yet...

- Bobby Knight
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Miller4ever » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:55 pm

My thought is that Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie are beasts.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Dunthreevy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Miller4ever wrote:My thought is that Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie are beasts.

Garcon is definitely cementing his spot as a solid #2 receiver for the time being. Not to take anything away from Collie (because he has looked really good as a slot receiver), but I honestly think that you could throw just about any WR in the league that has average to above average hands into that slot position and Peyton would find them 4-7 times per game.

I'd really like to see them at least TRY to see what Baskett can do for us. Then again, maybe they actually did just sign him as insurance in case Garcon wasn't game to be the #2 guy.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Miller4ever » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 am

Baskett can also be a good locker room presence. From what I know, he's a good professional. The leadership is what makes it so that Collie and Garcon can perform the way that they have. I haven't seen stupid mistakes or terrible drops from them.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#11 » by Latrell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:18 am

Random, but Pierre Garcon is a BEAST in Madden lol, his speed is like a 97. Last game i got 192 yards a 4 td with him :lol:

Return to Indianapolis Colts