WR core

Moderators: UCF, JaxMagic

ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

WR core 

Post#1 » by ChronicKerr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:54 pm

What's going on with the WR's in Jacksonville. I've read that Reggie is getting benched and possibly might not make the team along wtih matt Jones being firmly entrenched with the second teamers making Dennis Northcutt the #1 receiver wiht Wilford #2. Do you think it will stay like this through the season or what is going on here? I thought Matt Jones was an up and coming stud WR. Any thoughts on the WR situation here?
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#2 » by Latrell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 am

I think the WR situation is the best its been for years in Jacskonville, alot of talented young depth at the position for the Jags...Matt Jones will be fine, its only pre-season...
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Post#3 » by ChronicKerr » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 pm

so what do you predict will end up being the starting WR's?? Is Reggie going to get cut or benched? Is northcutt really going to be the #1 in jacksonville? What about Wilford? Is Matt Jones going to start? I realize they have a lot of depth but what do you think will end up being the depth chart at WR?
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Latrell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:00 pm

I think Matt Jones will be the Jags #1, with Wilford and Reggie/Northcutt as the 2 and 3 receivers...However it will be very balanced and Byron will spread out the ball to as many different guys as he can. For some reason I'm more excited this year than every before about the Jags offense,I think its gonna surprise a lot of people.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Latrell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:05 pm

And I don't know if Reggie will get benched or cut, Im not the coach so I couldn't tell you, However, I personally would not cut him and sometimes Im baffled when coaches cut certain talented players after a few pre-season games...I know football is a demanding game and you're expected to come in to camp and pre-season all reved up and ready to go but the reality is, it takes some players time to hit their stride.
sp1187
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by sp1187 » Sat Sep 1, 2007 10:51 am

they have too much invested in reggie & matt to cut em. Charles Sharon, dont be surprised if he makes the team...kids a STUD
Howard N Nelson - Magic Future for the Next eh...5 years
BigBurd
Rookie

Post#7 » by BigBurd » Wed Sep 5, 2007 4:43 pm

I think the QB change means Jones and Northcutt will get the first look, but in the end it will mean a lot more balls for Wilford as a check down guy on Garrard is on the move. IMHO he's quite consistent.

I suspect Reggie stays with the team, he's apparently willing to run the dangerous routes and block a bit - I just wish he'd buckle that helmet on for once... seeing it flying around the field on every tackle just inspires the defense.

For what it's worth I had/have high hopes for Mike Walker playing with a long ball guy like Leftwich. Early in the season I had dreams of him, Jones going deep for an over the top ball with Northcutt speeding around underneath. FYI he's now on the IR for the season to finish recovering from last years knee surgery.

I haven't got a good feel for how Garrard will use his TE's in this new offense, and I haven't seen if Marcedes Lewis is running routs any better this year.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#8 » by JaxMagic » Wed Sep 5, 2007 9:37 pm

With Garrard I believe he seems to do a better job of getting all the receivers involved, however, I do notice he often seems to stare down the receiver he wnats to throw to. I'm betting the starters for Sunday will be Northcutt and Wilford and Matt Jones in the slot. I will also be keeping an eye on Marcedes Lewis because he was kind of invisible during the preseason. Supposedly this new offense is very tight end friendly.
WadeCounty305
Ballboy

Post#9 » by WadeCounty305 » Wed Sep 5, 2007 11:44 pm

Watch out for Mike Walker...probably best reciever on the team...Reggie is inconsistent and probably will lose his spot!
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by JaxMagic » Thu Sep 6, 2007 12:23 am

WadeCounty305 wrote:Watch out for Mike Walker...probably best reciever on the team...Reggie is inconsistent and probably will lose his spot!

Mike Walker is on IR, he's done for the year.
sp1187
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by sp1187 » Fri Sep 7, 2007 4:58 pm

god dammit..it pissed me off that Sharon got cut.

Northcutt/Jones/Wilford/Williams/Broussard

i hope they will actually catch the football this year.

I like George Wrighter as a receiving tight end too...especially when he mocked the lambeau leap
Howard N Nelson - Magic Future for the Next eh...5 years
BigBurd
Rookie

Post#12 » by BigBurd » Sat Sep 8, 2007 11:19 am

The good news is I think Sharon was one of the eight guys to accept "practice roster" contracts from the Jags, so we might see him again soon.
yaomac11-1
Junior

wrs 

Post#13 » by yaomac11-1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 pm

i think we'll be fine w/ Walker comin back to us next year, he started off doin well at camp but then he got hurt. Williams and Wilford are living up to expectations.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: wrs 

Post#14 » by JaxMagic » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:45 am

yaomac11-1 wrote:i think we'll be fine w/ Walker comin back to us next year, he started off doin well at camp but then he got hurt. Williams and Wilford are living up to expectations.

Mike Walker could be huge for us, the guy is getting me excited from what I've heard. I've been told he has number one receiver potential, which would be great because Reggie would be a perfect number two receiver. Then we would also have some steady play from Wilford and Northcutt, but the biggest question mark is probably Matt Jones...

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars