Jags sing Holt - 3 years $20M

Moderators: UCF, JaxMagic

BigBurd
Rookie
And1: 0

Jags sing Holt - 3 years $20M 

Post#1 » by BigBurd » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Apparently a done deal - some articles are reporting only the first year is guaranteed of a 3 year $20M contract.
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7780

RotoWorld gives some additional details:
"It's a year-by-year deal with a minimum value of $13M over three seasons, assuming Holt isn't released in between. $7 million more is available via incentives. The Jags aren't committed to the 33-year-old beyond '09."
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... nfl&id=412
BigBurd
Rookie

Re: Jags sing Holt - 3 years $20M 

Post#2 » by BigBurd » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 pm

Perhaps coincidentally; I think the $6M guaranteed for this year is just about exactly what we saved by releasing Fred Taylor.

It's hard to argue against the move when we think about overall impact each could have in 09/10. Plus the fact that we have enough control to walk away after that (or keep him at that 3.5M + perf. bonuses).
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 am

Good move from the financial and skills point for the Jags. And they needed some WRs' to their core so getting a vet like Holt helps a lot.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by SpeedyG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am

BigBurd wrote:Perhaps coincidentally; I think the $6M guaranteed for this year is just about exactly what we saved by releasing Fred Taylor.

It's hard to argue against the move when we think about overall impact each could have in 09/10. Plus the fact that we have enough control to walk away after that (or keep him at that 3.5M + perf. bonuses).

Holt's contract only had $3M guaranteed, not 6, not to mention that Fred volunteered to play at a $3M figure, to which the team said no to. Add in the fact that the team just gave MoJo a huge extension, and there's really no correlation to the Holt signing in regards to Fred's release.

Fred release was all about MJD getting his cash and the rock.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
BigBurd
Rookie

Post#5 » by BigBurd » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
BigBurd wrote:Perhaps coincidentally; I think the $6M guaranteed for this year is just about exactly what we saved by releasing Fred Taylor.

Holt's contract only had $3M guaranteed, not 6, not to mention that Fred volunteered to play at a $3M figure, to which the team said no to. Add in the fact that the team just gave MoJo a huge extension, and there's really no correlation to the Holt signing in regards to Fred's release.

Fred release was all about MJD getting his cash and the rock.

Thanks for clearing up those contract details. I'm still very impressed with how franchise friendly this deal is.

I heard Del Rio say that this was the best place for Tory because he still wants to be "the man". I thought that was interesting; in that I don't see how someone like the Titans have anyone on their roster to outshine Holt. Regardless of why it's nice to see this type of deal after last year.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:26 pm

The Titans WR core needs improvement and to get someone like Holt to help out their future WR core would been wonders for confidence and morale along with Holt being effective running down the field to boost their low passing rank.

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars