ImageImageImage

Miami Dolphins Thread

Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,597

Re: Miami Dolphins/Marlins Thread 

Post#141 » by Vertical Limit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:17 am

Not much of a highlight reel. Tannehill looked like John Beck out there. He had a few decent drives but overall, he didn't win the starting job. Moore now has a chance.

And Jonathan Martin was getting his ass bitch slapped around it's like Colombo never left.

Chris Hogan and Rishard Matthews impressed at WR.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,358

Post#142 » by dolphinatik » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Tanny had one nice drive other than that he waited too long, didnt have pocket presence and got his ball batted alot. 2 or 3 bad drops on catchable Tanny passes didnt help. Offensive line looked suspect. No open lanes for our runners to exploit and when Carolina wanted to they could devour our line with their D front. The right side of our line was especially bad. Martin will need lots of help or Tanny will get killed. There is no reason they shouldnt have been bootlegging or having Tanny throw on the run and move the pocket. Its going to be a long year. Good news is that receivers looked open alot and the routes are better than previous years. more slants just like I like it.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#143 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info. It sucks that the right side of the line is still garbage. Vert, you're right. It's like Colombo never left. And all last season, everyone was saying that should be a big focus for the team outside of QB. I'm disappointed we haven't gotten better there.

As for the receivers getting open, was it just against the Carolina 2nd unit, or was it the starters too? I try not to get too excited once 2nd unit defenses come in, though I did kind of mark out during Tanny's performance in the first game. :lol: Hey...I just need some sliver of hope to hold on to.

Anyway, I'm going to next week's game. I hope Tanny has the starting gig. I like Moore, but I'm on the Tannehill War Wagon full-force right now. The team sucks bad enough I just want to see him get a chance to prove himself. PEACE.
Vertical Limit
RealGM

Post#144 » by Vertical Limit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Tannehill named opening day starter. Philbin hinted that could change midway of the season if Garrard is healthy (and of course if Tannehill is struggling bad).
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#145 » by This IsMy House » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:Tannehill named opening day starter. Philbin hinted that could change midway of the season if Garrard is healthy (and of course if Tannehill is struggling bad).

I think at this point if Garrard out, theres no reason not to start Tannehill. Get him some in game experience especially since everyone knows this season is a waste anyway. But once Garrard is back I think he should start and let Tannehill watch him and learn. Until they get some WR's it doesnt matter anyway.
I Stand With The []_[]!
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#146 » by Pimpwerx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:31 am

Tanny has nothing to learn from Garrard, except preparation. Garrard was an average starting QB at his best. I hope we cut him before the start of the season, to shed his contract. His injury is suspicious anyway.

I think Skolnick said it best. Philbin is Cam all over again. After another Hard Knocks episode, he just comes off as so timid. PEACE.
SmushedPennies
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#147 » by SmushedPennies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am

While Philbin's demeanor isn't perfect, he's nowhere near as bad as Cam. There was nothing about Cam that could be taken seriously, starting with his redundant-ass name.

I think Philbin will be good, so long as his subordinates do a good job of connecting him to the players, because he doesn't have engaging people skills, nor is a player's coach like Sparano.
ImageImage
Altered_Beast
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,634

Post#148 » by Altered_Beast » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:57 pm

dolphins are the most ass backwards team in the nfl. we are going to be a primarily passing team with a rookie QB and a peanut gallery of WR's instead of focusing on the run game with our decent o-line (long,incognito,pouncey,great blocking TE fasano) and talent in the backfield (bush,thomas,miller,clay)

"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
Vertical Limit
RealGM

Post#149 » by Vertical Limit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm

That's not Philbin's problem, that's Ireland's. Philbin is here to install his system which isn't some 1940's ground and pound game. Besides our offensive line is incapable of creating running lanes.
OtW
Suspended
And1: 1,860

Post#150 » by OtW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Football is not my sport, not really a big fan of it, and I am aware of what Ireland has done to the Dolphins, since I never hear the end of it from the more dedicated Fins fans in my family down here. However, my dad's co-worker gave him a pair of pretty good tickets for the game tomorrow. I am planning on going, what should I expect? Or should I just expect nothing and try to enjoy the game?
Vertical Limit
RealGM

Post#151 » by Vertical Limit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Philbin is planning to play the starters for 3 quarters tomorrow and they will be using a real game plan against Atlanta.
The Gump
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#152 » by The Gump » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 am

Altered_Beast wrote:dolphins are the most ass backwards team in the nfl. we are going to be a primarily passing team with a rookie QB and a peanut gallery of WR's instead of focusing on the run game with our decent o-line (long,incognito,pouncey,great blocking TE fasano) and talent in the backfield (bush,thomas,miller,clay)

Our OL has looked pretty crappy so far. And the NFL is a passing league now anyway. Sparano's ground and pound crap belongs in the 80s and 90s. Doesn't work anymore. Even the teams that play that way and have superior talent and dominant defenses (Ravens, 49ers) fell short against pass-happy teams in the playoffs last year.

If the OL can pass protect, Tannehill will have a good season. Receiver is a QB dependent position. Great QBs make receivers more than the reverse.
The Gump
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#153 » by The Gump » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 am

Vertical Limit wrote:Philbin is planning to play the starters for 3 quarters tomorrow and they will be using a real game plan against Atlanta.

If we don't have a really good showing after how we played the last two weeks, I'll become legitimately concerned.
LoveMyHeat
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#154 » by LoveMyHeat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:31 am

3 quarters seems like overkill to me, we don't want any injuries to what little starting talent we have.
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#155 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 am

OtW wrote:Football is not my sport, not really a big fan of it, and I am aware of what Ireland has done to the Dolphins, since I never hear the end of it from the more dedicated Fins fans in my family down here. However, my dad's co-worker gave him a pair of pretty good tickets for the game tomorrow. I am planning on going, what should I expect? Or should I just expect nothing and try to enjoy the game?

Expect a loss. Drink as much beer as you can. Considering it's ATL, expect an unusually high number of the opposing team's fans and jerseys. Drink a lot of beer. Learn the official Phins fight song so I'm not the only person in the stadium singing and dancing if we manage to score. Did I mention drink lots of beer? If not, make sure you do. Also, a poncho might not be a bad idea as I have a bad feeling it's gonna drizzle.

The Gump wrote:If the OL can pass protect, Tannehill will have a good season. Receiver is a QB dependent position. Great QBs make receivers more than the reverse.

Agreed to a point, but not when the receivers can't get any separation and can't command a double-team. Plus Tanny's a rookie who recently converted to QB. Expecting him to make those scrubs look good might be expecting much. Still, I'm all-aboard the Hype Train/War Wagon.

Altered_Beast wrote:dolphins are the most ass backwards team in the nfl. we are going to be a primarily passing team with a rookie QB and a peanut gallery of WR's instead of focusing on the run game with our decent o-line (long,incognito,pouncey,great blocking TE fasano) and talent in the backfield (bush,thomas,miller,clay)

As noted, it's a passing league, and a good passing game will do more to open lanes for a smaller back like Bush than our crummy line. If we kept Marshall and signed Braylon and/or kept Chad, I'd have a lot more confidence. Still, we gotta just hope for the best...or hope for the team to actually take tanking seriously this season. Moore wasn't having none of that last season. :lol: PEACE.
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#156 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 am

djcrispi wrote:3 quarters seems like overkill to me, we don't want any injuries to what little starting talent we have.

Standard preseason plan. The starters get the most time in the 3rd preseason game, then either sit or hardly play in the 4th game. If they die, they die. PEACE.
LoveMyHeat
Rookie

Post#157 » by LoveMyHeat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:06 am

Ah, gotcha. Don't really pay much attention to pre-season. Here's hoping Tannehill looks good/stays healthy.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,718

Post#158 » by Heat3 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Wasn't impressed with Tannehill. Was less impressed with our receivers.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Vertical Limit
RealGM

Post#159 » by Vertical Limit » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Tannehill looked good to me other than that INT which slipped off a receivers hands. Not his fault his receivers and tight ends don't have any route running ability and do not know how to create separation. Oh yeah, and they don't know how to catch. Only receiver worth a damn is Bess.

But he obviously knows how to run the offense.

If Green Bay waives Donald Driver he's Miami bound.

Naanee is garbage.
LoveMyHeat
Rookie

Post#160 » by LoveMyHeat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:01 am

We literally have the worst receiving corps in the league :/

Return to Miami Dolphins