ImageImageImage

Hypothetical Situation: how would you feel?

mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Hypothetical Situation: how would you feel? 

Post#1 » by mopper8 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Let's say, for the sake argument, the following happens:

Miami acquires Trent Green on the cheap (either a late-round pick in next year's draft or for nothing at all), and he's the starting QB.

Ginn Jr earns the starting flanker position.

With those two starting, and with our re-tooled o-line, under Cameron's tutelage, the offense is actually pretty good. Ginn Jr has like, say, 5 TDs on the season and makes an impact as a quality-but-not-eye-popping WR and a dynamic KR/PR. The Dolphins make the playoffs. We don't really see Beck all season though, so he's still an unknown quantity.

AND

Brady Quinn has the look of a stud QB in Cleveland, regardless of their record.

Would you

a) call the draft a failure?
b) say the draft was an integral part of a very successful off-season but was not itself a success?
c) say the draft was a success?
d) say, "we won't really know till we see John Beck"

?
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#2 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:41 pm

D.

The more I think about it, it was probably in Quinn's best interest that he didn't come to Miami. I think the expectations here would have been much higher than they are in Cleveland, where Charlie Frye still *could* amount to something and well, the Browns are still down there.

:dontknow:
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by mopper8 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 pm

2poor wrote:D.

The more I think about it, it was probably in Quinn's best interest that he didn't come to Miami. I think the expectations here would have been much higher than they are in Cleveland, where Charlie Frye still *could* amount to something and well, the Browns are still down there.

:dontknow:

So basically even if Ginn Jr is a good wide-out and great return man, it won't matter unless Beck is every bit as good as Quinn, in effect?

I have a feeling that's going to be the general consensus. And it makes sense. But I was just curious.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#4 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Oh, I guess I overlooked that part.

If Ginn is Santa Moss 2.0, then it is absolutely not a failure. I don't think Brady Quinn is a once in a lifetime QB, and I like the Beck selection because he has essentially the same potential for success as Quinn, but if he doesn't pan out, big deal.

Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, the list goes on.

At this point, I'd like to bring Green in, get a solid year or two out of him, and move on from that point. In a perfect world he steps in while Culpepper continues recovering and regains his form. This assumes a lot, like, Culpepper still being here, but I'm fine with that.

Passing Quinn to take Ginn isn't as bad as passing on Brees for Culpepper if we end up getting rid of him and/or he never returns to NFL-form.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,321

Post#5 » by BBallFreak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:47 pm

It's a combination of C and D, IMO. The draft can be a success without being perfect, but we'll only know how good it is until we see Beck play at his peak (or see him out of the league)...
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#6 » by Flash3 » Tue May 1, 2007 12:17 am

This team needed a game breaker on the offensive end, and I think this is another reason as to why Ginn was selected.

But couldn't we have gotten him later on?

Either way, D. I want to see Beck and if he was worthy of such a high pick.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mopper8 » Tue May 1, 2007 12:24 am

Flash3 wrote:This team needed a game breaker on the offensive end, and I think this is another reason as to why Ginn was selected.

But couldn't we have gotten him later on?

Either way, D. I want to see Beck and if he was worthy of such a high pick.

Everybody says this, but I'm not sold. From what I understand, St. Louis was real high on him and considering him at 13 before they got Dante Hall. That's at least 1 team who could've nabbed him shortly after we did.

Not to mention who says there was a ton of demand to trade into the #9 spot? Things for Quinn didnt' really heat up till the mid-teens by the reports I heard, and the oly guys of real note at that spot otherwise, that I could see someone going hard after were Willis and Okoye
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#8 » by Lane1974 » Tue May 1, 2007 12:30 am

Adam Schefter (NFL Network) reported the Texans at #10 starting calling teams to try and trade down after their guy, Ginn was taken
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#9 » by Flash3 » Tue May 1, 2007 12:51 am

So Ginn seemingly was going to go higher than what he was being projected as, 11-16.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by mopper8 » Tue May 1, 2007 12:58 am

Lane1974 wrote:Adam Schefter (NFL Network) reported the Texans at #10 starting calling teams to try and trade down after their guy, Ginn was taken

If this is true, then I can forgive Cam and Mule for stringing us along about Quinn. If they know we're after Ginn hardcore, they probably make a big push to get into the 8, since chances are the Fins aren't taking whoever's high on Atlanta's board with the 9.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,321

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Tue May 1, 2007 2:45 am

Lane1974 wrote:Adam Schefter (NFL Network) reported the Texans at #10 starting calling teams to try and trade down after their guy, Ginn was taken

Like I said in the draft thread, a huge part of managing the draft is managing information. Had we made it known that we valued Ginn as highly as we did, who's to say that Ginn would have lasted that long?

A player's value in the draft isn't determined by the Mel Kiper's of the world, it's determined by the GM's! So let's say we make it known that he's the guy we're after. Who's to say that someone doesn't make a move with Washington to jump ahead of us and take him?

We all get so caught up in what the pundits say, but they're only guessing.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#12 » by HIF » Tue May 1, 2007 1:55 pm

C for me. we make the playoffs - something went right and there's the promise of Beck still to come.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#13 » by Lane1974 » Tue May 1, 2007 2:19 pm

here's another question

who starts more games for the Fins next season:

a) Daunte Culpepper
b) John Beck
c) Trent Green
d) Cleo Lemon
2poor
RealGM

Post#14 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 2:27 pm

A.

:pray:
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mopper8 » Tue May 1, 2007 2:37 pm

I'd be happy with A, B, or C, I think
2poor
RealGM

Post#16 » by 2poor » Tue May 1, 2007 3:04 pm

^^ Agreed.

In order for A or B to start the most games, they'd have to prove themselves (ie. be healthy/win games), and when healthy Green is a solid QB. So chances are we'd be in decent shape at that point.

Lemon...dunno. If he starts the most games either we're witnessing divine intervention or we have our sights set on the #1 pick.

Return to Miami Dolphins