ImageImageImage

Dolphins Trade For Tyler Thigpen

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,515

Dolphins Trade For Tyler Thigpen 

Post#1 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Thoughts? I think he could be our starter. I would rather we go with Henne for a while and then maybe see what Pat White has but Thigpen fits right in in my opinion and has a chance to play here. I guess we will find out. I like the trade though.
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Re: Dolphins Trade For Tyler Thigpen 

Post#2 » by salqaddoumi » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:06 pm

I really like this trade, Thigpen was very solid last season and he finished very strong.

I thought we'd bring in someone older than him just to be a back-up but hey i'm not complaining.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#3 » by GameTime_3 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Pat White sucks and Thigpen is solid!

Drafting Pat White = :banghead:
Not trading 2nd Round pick for Bolden/Marshall = :banghead:
travis minor
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#4 » by travis minor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:21 am

I really like thigpen

i don't necessarily understand the trade... but im a fan of him
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#5 » by Flash3 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 am

some reports are that we gave up a 3rd rder for him. but i havent seen anything concrete....
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
MadPT
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#6 » by MadPT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 am

This is a good trade, a 25 year old with 14 games of experience that showed some potential. He led the league in yards per rush showing some good mobility skills (he is a spread formation QB), that is great for a backup QB because if they have to come into a game without the game plan for them they can still change the pace of the offense.

If I had to guess the reason for this particular trade, I would say it is to keep pressure on Henne. Knowing how Parcells believes that no one should ever feel comfortable a 25 year old that has shown some potential should at least give Henne something to think about down the line. I also believe his contract runs through next year as well.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 am

Yeah Thigpen caught fire towards the end of last season. He had some great games for the Chiefs and can no doubt do the same for us. If Henne is horrible in his first couple of starts I look for Thigpen to get thrown in there. At 25 he's really still a project and he's right there as far as youth goes with Henne and Pat White, and probably the better of the three at this current stage. I still think we start Henne because we don't know what he's going to do for us. Henne could become the next Drew Brees or he could just flat out suck. Either way we have to know, and now is the time to find out.
As for Pat White I think the same apply's to him. If Henne falters, then maybe White gets a shot to prove his worth. It could go either way for White too but I do think he can be special. Thats just my opinion and a lot of you don't share that but thats cool.
As for Thigpen he has just as much opportunity as the other two and should get his chance. This may end up being a painful season but we will atleast get to see if one of these three QB's is our future, and chances are one of them can step up and be the guy.
I believe we have found our future QB it's just a matter of which one of the three it is at this point.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#8 » by GameTime_3 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:27 pm

JSB
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by JSB » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:41 am

I think he will be starting and I bet he will be awesome playing games in cold weather to.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#10 » by Flash3 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:45 am

He had some good games last season, and a nice td/int ratio for 11 games in total. But, is he a franchise QB is that question????

We've been trying to find one for ever.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#11 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Oct 2, 2009 4:04 am

I don't see a franchise QB in the mold of Drew Brees, The Mannings, Carson Palmer, Mcnabb, etc
What I see is a step below that title type of QB. He's a second tier QB in the same class as Matt Shaub, Trent Edwards, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, Matt Hasslebeck, Jason Campbell, and Jake Delhomme. Not franchise QB's but guys that a team can win with, and QB's that are capable of leading a team to a super bowl as long as then entire team does their job.
Of the three QB's we have I think Henne or White have the biggest chance at being a franchise QB. Meaning the type of player that can carry a team if they have to. But as of right now Tyler Thigpen would probably give us the best chance to win. I still would rather see what Henne has because we really just don't know. From what i've seen he's not afraid to throw the ball, and he does seem to want to be the guy here.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#12 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Thigpen was clearly just insurance, in case Henne didn't perform. All signs are good for Henne though, kind of a waste of a trade if we really gave up a 3rd or even anything close to that IMO. Could have just as easily found ANYONE from FA to step in if Henne failed.

Return to Miami Dolphins