ImageImage

time to strike while the iron is hot....

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

time to strike while the iron is hot.... 

Post#1 » by BuckPack » Tue May 15, 2007 1:35 am

The Crew has a couple of players (Mench, Jenkins, Vargas) who are all performing very well-perhaps over their heads for the entire season, but might not necessarily fit into this team's long term future. Combine that with some below average play from a few vets-read Graffanino/Counsell-and the Brewers might be able to combine these players into some sort of deal to acquire a big time corner outfielder.

This team has some big time prospects knocking at the door (see Gallardo, Braun etc.) that may make a few players expendable (read Vargas, etc.). Since the Brewers have some highly regarded young players that just might not fit into their roster (Gwynn, Capellan), why not try and trade Gwynn with one of the 4/5 pitchers and Mench for a big time corner outfielder? We have a lot of superfluous talent in the outfield-some that are playing well enought that their trade value might never be higher--and coupled with the pitching talent in the minors, I think we could combine some of those assets for an OF upgrade...
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,572

Re: time to strike while the iron is hot.... 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:38 am

BuckPack wrote: why not try and trade Gwynn with one of the 4/5 pitchers and Mench for a big time corner outfielder?

Blasphemous on this board. Gwynn is the second coming of his father only with better speed, more power a higher average and better defense.

But anyways, I agree with you.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: time to strike while the iron is hot.... 

Post#3 » by WEFFPIM » Tue May 15, 2007 1:47 am

trwi7 wrote:Blasphemous on this board. Gwynn is the second coming of his father only with better speed, more power a higher average and better defense.

But anyways, I agree with you.

RYAN BRAUN SUCKS

For sake of balancing out this thread
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#4 » by goirish2107 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:25 am

i heard someone say that gwynn is someone that would probably end up being good trade bait or something like that because he didn't really fit the plans...while i love him and want him here, where does he go? i guess next year if jenks is gone it could be gwynn hall hart braun hardy rickie prince in the field. but as for the point about packaging some guys for a corner outfielder/good bat, i'm all for it
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#5 » by livestrong4ever » Tue May 15, 2007 2:32 am

Why would we trade Gwynn?

It would make a hell of alot more sence to trade Jenkins and get rid of his contract.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#6 » by Buck You » Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 am

neverstoppers23 wrote:Why would we trade Gwynn?

It would make a hell of alot more sence to trade Jenkins and get rid of his contract.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#7 » by BuckPack » Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 am

neverstoppers23 wrote:Why would we trade Gwynn?

is jenkins himself going to command an upgrade at a corner OF spot? no way. You need to give up something to get something. Sure Gwynn would be a loss, but I really don't see where he fits into this team long term (nor do I think he's untouchable), so why not put the two of them together (or Mench instead of Jenkins) and then add a bottom of the rotation starter. That way you give up a starter quality prospect, a veteran OF, and a starting pitcher and you could get in return a big time corner OF.

That's why you'd give up Gwynn. Not to get trash in return.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#8 » by skitch815 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:16 am

I really love Gallardo, but why would they move Vargas and bring him up to start? I think he is going to have a hell of a career but it seems like some people think that he is going to come up and have a rookie year like Liriano did last year for the Twins. For their careers Gallardo will be much better than Vargas, but I honestly think that for this year Vargas>Gallardo.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#9 » by El Duderino » Tue May 15, 2007 4:37 am

This isn't fantasy baseball where you find a sucker to accept some mediocre or solid quantity for a stud player.
goirish2107
Rookie

Post#10 » by goirish2107 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:00 am

El Duderino wrote:This isn't fantasy baseball where you find a sucker to accept some mediocre or solid quantity for a stud player.

i can't think of any off the top of my head but there could be a situation like us and carlos lee last year.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#11 » by skitch815 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 am

goirish2107 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i can't think of any off the top of my head but there could be a situation like us and carlos lee last year.

Maybe on July 31, but people are talking about today. No one is going to give up a player of that quality this early in the year no matter what their record.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,662

Post#12 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 15, 2007 9:09 am

I could see us making a Carlos Lee-esque upgrade if our team is still leading the division in July, but I would not want to deal Gwynn as a part of it. I think he'll end up being our future leadoff hitter, and we might end up moving Billy to a corner outfield spot and making way for Gwynn to play full time.

I would rather see us deal Vargas, Counselnino, Mench or even Corey Hart then Gwynn. Granted, that won't net us as much as dealing Gwynn though.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 47,128

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Tue May 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Gwynn is the only real leadoff hitter we have. Weeks certainly isn't one.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#14 » by BuckPack » Tue May 15, 2007 2:15 pm

El Duderino wrote:This isn't fantasy baseball where you find a sucker to accept some mediocre or solid quantity for a stud player.

no ****, I'm not proposing we trade for Manny Ramirez, but we could certainly get an upgrade at one of the corner spots.

Andt BTW, starting pitching, particularly after Vargas' recent performance, commands big time trade value in this leage. throw in a solid major league starting quality prospect in either Gwynn/Hart, and then Jenkins/Mench for cap purposes, and you have some value there for sure.
goirish2107
Rookie

Post#15 » by goirish2107 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:47 pm

vargas doesn't really equal coco, but close since he's a starter...jenkins/mench = mench, gwynn/hart > nelson cruz. that got texas carlos. i don't advocate getting rid of vargas, but throw in another pitcher, like capellan, and we don't get a carlosesque guy but something a little less
trwi7
RealGM

Post#16 » by trwi7 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:04 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I would rather see us deal Corey Hart then Gwynn. Granted, that won't net us as much as dealing Gwynn though.

:rofl: :o
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,662

Post#17 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 15, 2007 10:05 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :o

Really? I think Gwynn right now has the potential to be a top-flight leadoff man and very good defensive outfielder. I could see him batting .320 with nearly 60 stolen bases each year. I can see Hart being very good as well, but I would rather of us have a great leadoff man then another mediocre power hitter.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Really? I think Gwynn right now has the potential to be a top-flight leadoff man and very good defensive outfielder.

He can't even get a .350 OBP in the minors, what makes you think he can even do that in the majors?

humanrefutation wrote:I could see him batting .320 with nearly 60 stolen bases each year.

Despite the fact he's only hit .300 in the minors once and it was .300 exactly. Oh yeah and Hart steals bases at nearly the same percentage as Gwynn, he's not this great base stealer.

humanrefutation wrote:I can see Hart being very good as well, but I would rather of us have a great leadoff man then another mediocre power hitter.

Hart will be a much better player than Gwynn. Hart has more speed, power, gets on base at roughly the same clip, good defense, better arm etc. And they're both 24.

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 14,018

Post#19 » by Ayt » Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 pm

humanrefutation wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Really? I think Gwynn right now has the potential to be a top-flight leadoff man and very good defensive outfielder. I could see him batting .320 with nearly 60 stolen bases each year. I can see Hart being very good as well, but I would rather of us have a great leadoff man then another mediocre power hitter.

Good god man. Gwynn has not come close to showing that kind of potential. How many players in the majors can put up .320 with 60 stolen bases each year? Jose Reyes and???

I would really like to see what people would think of him if his last name wasn't Gwynn.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#20 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed May 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Will Inman and Kevin Mench for Weapons of Mass Power (aka Wily Mo Pena). You know you want to
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers