ImageImageImage

josh freeman

Moderator: Worm Guts

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

josh freeman 

Post#1 » by hermes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

no rumors yet, but people have been saying now that freeman has been benched he's likely not going to be with the bucs long term

think we should go for him? he's still young, maybe a change of scenery is all he needs :dontknow:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Re: josh freeman 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 1, 2013 2:18 pm

Not all that interested, I'd rather aim higher.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#3 » by The J Rocka » Thu Oct 3, 2013 3:20 am

I'd rather take a look at a Phillip Rivers trade, if he's made available at some point. Otherwise, we're going to have to develop one via draft. That's only if RS & coaching staff are willing to accept that Ponder isn't our franchise QB. I could see them giving Ponder another shot while drafting for another need in the 1st round.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 6, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd give it a shot
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by The J Rocka » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:39 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/387058920616759296[/tweet]
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:43 am

This seems like sort of a weird dynamic.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by The J Rocka » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:49 am

RS has been a big fan of his so I'm not surprised. Looks like the best man will win the job.

I wouldn't mind if we drafted a QB in a later round and move Ponder. We should probably add a CB or LB with our first.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 7, 2013 4:18 am

Gut feeling:

MBT - Cut (Practice squad?)
Ponder - IR
Cassel - Starter until Freeman ready to take over
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 7, 2013 10:05 am

There would be no reason to cut MBT if Ponder goes to IR. I think we'd still prefer 3 QB's.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 7, 2013 10:09 am

The J Rocka wrote:RS has been a big fan of his so I'm not surprised. Looks like the best man will win the job.

I wouldn't mind if we drafted a QB in a later round and move Ponder. We should probably add a CB or LB with our first.

Freeman might be an upgrade but I hope he's not considered the QB of the future. I'd still take a QB in the first if there's one we like.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#11 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 7, 2013 12:50 pm

I wonder if this means the end of Ponder (will he even start another game)? I wonder who will start next week? On KFAN this morning they were speculating Freeman would start against Carolina, but I think that's too soon.
hermes
RealGM

Post#12 » by hermes » Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:17 pm

this is very interesting, they must not be content with cassel

i think if josh gets up to speed and really shows some things he could be the qb here for a while, but i still wouldn't be opposed to drafting another. they might all be on the team for the full year (if ponder goes on ir) but at least one is gone in the offseason

ponder's injury must either be more serious than we thought (and they don't want to stick with cassel the whole season) or they were just waiting for an excuse to make a move like this (obviously had to work out that josh became available)

but i'm surprised, i thought cassel would be able to play his way into a starting job
hermes
RealGM

Post#13 » by hermes » Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:18 pm

Worm Guts wrote:There would be no reason to cut MBT if Ponder goes to IR. I think we'd still prefer 3 QB's.

yeah wouldn't make sense to cut mbt in that case, although there is still webb

it would be funny to have ponder get healthy and we have a full-on 3 way qb competition
hermes
RealGM

Post#14 » by hermes » Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:21 pm

why would freeman come here though? surely there were other places where he was likely to play more/right away or more assured of playing

what if cassel really plays well and gets some wins while josh learns the playbook, would they really make the change at that point?

most money? wants to play with ap? ten teams were interested i guess - 3 that pushed the most were us, raiders and bills
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:49 pm

I guess I'm not sure what the plan is. I don't know if Freeman was brought just to compete, or if he's the guaranteed starter within 2 or 3 weeks.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#16 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:54 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I guess I'm not sure what the plan is. I don't know if Freeman was brought just to compete, or if he's the guaranteed starter within 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm guessing they're looking to find a long-term solution knowing that regardless of his last game, it's not Cassel. They'll get Freeman in there as soon as possible to evaluate him as much as they can before the draft to determine the direction. More relevant for Spielman, and Frazier too I suppose, it's a lot easier to hang on to your job and have their superiors overlook the Ponder fiasco if Freeman pans out as a viable QB of the future.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Oct 7, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd personally rather ride it out with Cassel and go fresh in the draft with no excuses to pass on a QB in round 1, but I guess I cant knock them making a minimal investment on the outside chance Freeman is still good, just got beaten down by Schiano or whatever.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 8, 2013 6:35 pm

hermes wrote:this is very interesting, they must not be content with cassel

Cassel is what he is. A backup, who can fill in if needed. He's not a starting quarterback.

You could say the same thing about Ponder. He's better suited for a backup role. I think he has the potential to maybe be a starter again down the line, but its not going to be here.

Freeman is an opportunity to get a guy who has shown flashes of brilliance at times. There's no question about whether he can make the throws. For him, its all mental. If we can get his mind right, I think we got a steal.

Certain players respond better to certain coaching styles. Freeman responded much better to Raheem Morris than he has Greg Schiano. That gives me hope for Freeman here.

hermes
RealGM

Post#19 » by hermes » Tue Oct 8, 2013 10:02 pm

how long before he's gets to start? couple weeks to get settled or think he can do it in one?

does it depend on how well cassel plays/ponder's health?

i wonder if ponder is healthy but freeman isn't ready that they put ponder back in ahead of cassel until josh can go
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 9, 2013 1:21 am

hermes wrote:how long before he's gets to start? couple weeks to get settled or think he can do it in one?

does it depend on how well cassel plays/ponder's health?

i wonder if ponder is healthy but freeman isn't ready that they put ponder back in ahead of cassel until josh can go

I think its one week, maybe two.

Return to Minnesota Vikings