ImageImageImage

The Vikings QB Situation

Moderator: Worm Guts

CSJWilkinson
Ballboy
And1: 0

The Vikings QB Situation 

Post#1 » by CSJWilkinson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi guys, the situation at the quarterback position is terrible at the moment. Do you think that its going to sort its self out any time soon?
http://www.bubblews.com/news/1404674-th ... -situation
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Re: The Vikings QB Situation 

Post#2 » by Twolf16 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:31 am

Nope, it's either Ponder or Freeman the rest of season and they will probably both play at a low level. I'm hoping Ponder had an epiphany while he sat out, and plays really well this week and the rest of the season-but I doubt that will be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
CSJWilkinson
Ballboy

Post#3 » by CSJWilkinson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 am

You never know. It might have lit a fire under him.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Twolf16 wrote:Nope, it's either Ponder or Freeman the rest of season and they will probably both play at a low level. I'm hoping Ponder had an epiphany while he sat out, and plays really well this week and the rest of the season-but I doubt that will be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app

I'm kind of scared of Ponder getting hot and once again bamboozling the team into thinking they don't need to look QB in the 1st round
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:27 pm

He'd have to get hot for 10 games. He'd have to play at level we haven't seen from him over an extended period. If he's capable of that, maybe he's turned a corner.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:35 pm

he could average 250 yards and a 2 to 1 td to interception ratio and I'd still be against not going QB in the 1st
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#7 » by hermes » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:33 pm

are ponder, cassel and freeman all on the team by the end of the year? think they'll try and move one?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:45 pm

hermes wrote:are ponder, cassel and freeman all on the team by the end of the year? think they'll try and move one?

I would guess all three are here until the end of the year, but at least 2 are gone by the beginning of next season.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:he could average 250 yards and a 2 to 1 td to interception ratio and I'd still be against not going QB in the 1st

The idea that we need to take a QB in the first round is how we ended up with Ponder in the first place, although it does seem like there's enough good QB prospects this year that somebody should be available no matter where we end up picking.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:he could average 250 yards and a 2 to 1 td to interception ratio and I'd still be against not going QB in the 1st

The idea that we need to take a QB in the first round is how we ended up with Ponder in the first place, although it does seem like there's enough good QB prospects this year that somebody should be available no matter where we end up picking.

Detroit was probably nervous about taking Calvin Johnson after failing so hard on Charles Rogers and Mike Williams - can't let past mistakes and mis-evaluations influence future drafts. Taking a QB wasn't the problem, it was taking Ponder instead of Kaepernick or Dalton
CSJWilkinson
Ballboy

Post#11 » by CSJWilkinson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm

It was funny to see Detroit picking receiver after receiver. Ponder can't be that amazing if you guys are talking about a new QB next draft.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Detroit was probably nervous about taking Calvin Johnson after failing so hard on Charles Rogers and Mike Williams - can't let past mistakes and mis-evaluations influence future drafts. Taking a QB wasn't the problem, it was taking Ponder instead of Kaepernick or Dalton

I don't want to avoid taking a QB, I just think it leads to problems when you narrow your focus too much. Sometimes there's just not a player at the position of need worthy of the spot your picking at.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I don't want to avoid taking a QB, I just think it leads to problems when you narrow your focus too much. Sometimes there's just not a player at the position of need worthy of the spot your picking at.

their focus was fine, just draft the right guy. The problematic narrowing of focus was looking positively at Ponder's pro-style offense experience, assuming he's a smart QB b/c he had an MBA, and praising his running ability, while disregarding his bad decision-making in that pro-style offense, lack of arm-strength which limits his ceiling to game-manager, and that maybe those big scrambling #s are partially to do with the fact that he doesn't make all his reads and takes off running instead.

I dunno. Spread QBs are like the plague, so I can understand going against Dalton I guess. My main point is the Ponder pick is in the past, but there's a draft with a bounty of high-level QBs. By sheer number, there should be a good one available when they pick, they just need to find a good one. Its always a risk regardless of position anyways, but the reward of having a great QB far far far greater than any other position. AP is the best ,doesn't do anything for us. Revis is the best, Tampa Bay sucks. But look what Andrew Luck did for the Colts.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30 pm

The upside for picking a QB is high, I agree, if you get the right guy your team is a contender for the next 10 years. The downside is if you pick the wrong guy, you spend at least the next 3 seasons figuring that out and you missed out on possibly a more obvious impact player at another position.
The Vikings have been on the brink of the Super Bowl a couple times with retread QB's teamed with HOF steals we found in the first round (Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson) but obviously that success doesn't last as long as if we had a franchise QB.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 pm

They may have been retread QBs as a whole, but in the SB contender seasons they were playing at a probowl level and put up QB #s that stack up with some of the best seasons of all time. And it wasn't just Moss and AP, it was a probowl team around them: Cris Carter, Robert Smith, Hoard was a short yardage automatic,Jake Reed, Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Steussie, David Palmer was good that year, John Randle, Stringer, Rudd before he went insane, Robert Griffith. Favres team was just as stacked: 8 probowlers that year.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:54 am

I'm just saying they built those teams by getting good players with their high picks, then when they found a QB everything was in place. The tough part about drafting QB's is they have the highest position value so they move way up. Most of the time you have the choice of taking a QB with some question marks or a much surer thing at a less important position. Your taking a bigger risk when you draft a QB, and you only exacerbate that risk when you go into the draft believing you need to take a QB in the 1st round.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#17 » by hermes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:27 am

CSJWilkinson wrote:It was funny to see Detroit picking receiver after receiver. Ponder can't be that amazing if you guys are talking about a new QB next draft.

what? have you never seen him play?

Return to Minnesota Vikings