2014 free agency: signed vlad ducasse

Moderator: Worm Guts

Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Re: 2014 free agency: cassel, sherels signed 

Post#41 » by Twolf16 » Sun Mar 9, 2014 6:51 pm

Jukeness wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:Not sure what they see in Brinkley.

Depth

Twolf16 wrote:Hope we can get Verner, and a nose tackle (they were looking at some veteran but don't remember who).

Paul Solilai I think

Him and, too lazy to look, there is a 28 year old from Baltimore they're also interested in.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#42 » by Twolf16 » Sun Mar 9, 2014 6:55 pm

Twolf16 wrote:
Jukeness wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:Not sure what they see in Brinkley.

Depth

Twolf16 wrote:Hope we can get Verner, and a nose tackle (they were looking at some veteran but don't remember who).

Paul Solilai I think

Him and, too lazy to look, there is a 28 year old from Baltimore they're also interested in.

Arthur Jones is the guy. Seems like he would be great addition; read an article about him on Daily Norseman.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#43 » by Jukeness » Sun Mar 9, 2014 7:01 pm

Looks like they'd really like to get Verner, so if they get him, will they want to spend big on Arthur Jones or anyone else? Or will they instead get cheaper options like Solilai?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#44 » by hermes » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:29 pm

i like griffin glad we got him, what is that 8.5 a year? that's not too bad right?

will be interesting to see what johnson gets
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#45 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:42 pm

sounds like a lot of coin, but they seem to believe that he's got a lot more to show than we've seen in his part-time duty. He's shown flashes, so I won't judge it yet. My guess is they probably realized the bidding for Michael Johnson was going in a bad direction and decided it was better to lock up Griffin now rather than see his value sky-rocket after MJ's deal.

As for Verner, depends on the money. There's enough bodies in the FA DB pool right now that I'd rather see them play it somewhat conservative and let the FA money dry up a bit.
hermes
RealGM

Re: 2014 free agency: griffin resigned (5yrs, $42.5) 

Post#46 » by hermes » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:50 pm

not a surprise but we're reportedly not on jared allen's 5 team shortlist of places he'd like to go

the verner bidding might get out of hand too, sounds like at least half a dozen teams are really interested
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#47 » by Jukeness » Sun Mar 9, 2014 8:58 pm

hermes wrote:not a surprise but we're reportedly not on jared allen's 5 team shortlist of places he'd like to go

the verner bidding might get out of hand too, sounds like at least half a dozen teams are really interested

I think only a couple other teams are real contenders to obtain Verner though. Jerry Gray's connection with him could pull him here also.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#48 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 9, 2014 10:02 pm

Jukeness wrote:
hermes wrote:not a surprise but we're reportedly not on jared allen's 5 team shortlist of places he'd like to go

I think only a couple other teams are real contenders to obtain Verner though. Jerry Gray's connection with him could pull him here also.

I'd be surprised if being anything other than being the highest bidder by a solid margin gets Verner to sign. Has to be hard to interest someone in playing outdoors @ TCF for 2 years for a team with no Superbowl contention in clear sight. Probably the same issue led to the contract they gave Griffin. Overpay or they'll go somewhere else.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#49 » by Jukeness » Sun Mar 9, 2014 10:19 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Jukeness wrote:

I'd be surprised if being anything other than being the highest bidder by a solid margin gets Verner to sign. Has to be hard to interest someone in playing outdoors @ TCF for 2 years for a team with no Superbowl contention in clear sight. Probably the same issue led to the contract they gave Griffin. Overpay or they'll go somewhere else.

This isnt basketball. People arent like that in the NFL.
hermes
RealGM

Post#50 » by hermes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:13 pm

resigned larry dean
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... e1e4dd4779

and jameel mcclain lb for the ravens is scheduled to visit
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#51 » by Esohny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm

hermes wrote:seems like both johnson and verner would take up a lot of our available money, do you think we should get both if we have the chance? with the amount of holes we need to fill i'm hesitant to throw a ton of money at just one or two guys

I know this reply was before the Griffen signing was announced, but since they ended up giving Griffen a large deal (I expect that Johnson will get more), I would say that I would like Verner to be added as well. If they miss out on him, they have to get one of the other starting caliber free agent CBs, IMO. I wouldn't hate a rookie CB in the first few rounds of the draft, but the Vikings could really use someone with a strong track record in the secondary.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#52 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Jukeness wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Jukeness wrote:I think only a couple other teams are real contenders to obtain Verner though. Jerry Gray's connection with him could pull him here also.

Of course they are, Wallace did exactly that to us last year. And Bennett did the same today to the Bears.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#53 » by Jukeness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Jukeness wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

Of course they are, Wallace did exactly that to us last year. And Bennett did the same today to the Bears.

What Mike Wallace did was purely a rumor, it was never confirmed, plus the Dolphins are a complete dysfunctional franchise, yet he went there. Bennett just won a superbowl, I'm sure he loves playing in Seattle with a great coach and great players, plus he's only had one good year. He was on a one year 3 million deal last year.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#54 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 am

My point is if you have something to offer vs a team with nothing to offer, there's a chance that you may have to not just outbid everybody, but substantially overpay to get a player to sign. Miami is Miami, for a some guys, that's enough no matter what the team is doing.

In past years, that wasn't necessarily the case because the Vikings were legitimate contenders here and there and were able to land some nice signings, but right now I don't think they have anything going for them until they start looking like a top 5 team at least, or at least get in that new stadium.

And honestly we should be hoping that this is the case, because if it's not, there's no basis for Griffin's contract.
hermes
RealGM

Post#55 » by hermes » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 am

looks like we're officially out of the running for michael johnson - only a matter of time since we signed griffin
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#56 » by Twolf16 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm

What do y'all think about making a run for Darelle Revis? Reports are that the Bucs are going to cut him. I would definitely be in on that bidding war.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#57 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Twolf16 wrote:What do y'all think about making a run for Darelle Revis? Reports are that the Bucs are going to cut him. I would definitely be in on that bidding war.

The Bucs gave up a first round pick for him just last year, the fact that they are considering cutting him worries me.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#58 » by Twolf16 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:What do y'all think about making a run for Darelle Revis? Reports are that the Bucs are going to cut him. I would definitely be in on that bidding war.

The Bucs gave up a first round pick for him just last year, the fact that they are considering cutting him worries me.

I think the main reason is that he doesn't fit well into Lovies Tampa 2 Defense (new coach from last year) and he is also getting paid a lot of money. They would be better off letting him go. They are trying to trade him but that's probably not going to happen.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#59 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:14 pm

And free agency has officially begun
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#60 » by Jukeness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Linval Joseph has signed with the Vikings, I like it! Deal is 5 years 31.5 million, not bad at all, now get Verner or Munerlyn and FA will be a success.

EDIT: Vikings might not pursue Verner or any other top free agents at this point, they wouldnt have much cap space left if they did.

Return to Minnesota Vikings