ImageImageImage

2019 Regular Season

Moderator: Worm Guts

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Re: 2019 Regular Season 

Post#61 » by hermes » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:02 pm

what's this about diggs now? just rumor mongering? no way we trade him right?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#62 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:58 pm

His ego button is soft and this offense sucks so bad.

If I was him I would take my money and quit that lousy one trick pony rushing dummy team.

But Diggs is too emotional. You just knew he was going to pop at some point. They have to force passes his way and force him out on deep routes to satisfy his ego and it bugs me. He's too good to use wrong and Vikings treat him like a Randy Moss when he's more of a Wes Welker/Edelman type star.

I saw Diggs grabbing like he has a groin issue a couple times during game. Not sure why they wouldn't report it or he wouldnt if true. But I expected him to leave before the game and he didn't. Is he hiding the injury? Maybe this is why he's not getting down field fast enough and it looks like Cousins is overthrowing him. Just throwing junk at the wall since the Vikings are in Vacuum mode again. "we aren't trading him"

Could be that he was sent to the penalty box for getting strip fumbled and got a good talking to and he's pissed off now. Any other junk we can throw at the empty wall? Empty as in no trophies.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:08 pm

I do think Diggs has an ego to him, but on the other hand I wouldnt blame Diggs, Thielen or Rudolph for asking out. It wasn't that long ago Rudolph was almost a 1k yard TE. Now he has 7 targets in 4 games, that is right just 7 freaking targets. Thielen went from back to back pro bowls to getting only 5 targets a game and only 13 catches through 4 games, he had a 14 catch week in week 3 last year. Diggs has always been around a 1k yard WR, now he is under 5 targets per game 4 games into this season.

Cousins threw 30 TDs last year, he was almost a 5k yard passer a couple seasons ago. Again Im not saying Cousins is a great QB, but its not like he isn't capable of playing the QB position.

It just seems like Zimmer has gone out of his way to neuter this offense. How freaking long did it take Zimmer to call Keenum the starting QB a couple years ago? It became like a parody where Keenum would have a great game and Zimmer would still be iffy on who his QB was. First 8 games last year, Cousins was on pace for a 5k yard season with over 2,500 yards the first 8 games. Then all of a sudden Zimmer puts an end to that and we all of a sudden see a significant drop in our passing offense and the final 8 games he threw only 1,700 yards. So far this year, Cousins isn't even on pace to hit 3k yards passing.

So ya cant blame any of the skilled position guys for asking out of this BS. I mean Thielen over the last 3 years has averaged 1,200 yards a season and now only getting 5 targets a game. What a freaking waste of talent on offense. Im actually hoping all 3 guys demand a trade so maybe Zygi might actually open his eyes and see we need a change.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I do think Diggs has an ego to him, but on the other hand I wouldnt blame Diggs, Thielen or Rudolph for asking out. It wasn't that long ago Rudolph was almost a 1k yard TE. Now he has 7 targets in 4 games, that is right just 7 freaking targets. Thielen went from back to back pro bowls to getting only 5 targets a game and only 13 catches through 4 games, he had a 14 catch week in week 3 last year. Diggs has always been around a 1k yard WR, now he is under 5 targets per game 4 games into this season.

Cousins threw 30 TDs last year, he was almost a 5k yard passer a couple seasons ago. Again Im not saying Cousins is a great QB, but its not like he isn't capable of playing the QB position.

It just seems like Zimmer has gone out of his way to neuter this offense. How freaking long did it take Zimmer to call Keenum the starting QB a couple years ago? It became like a parody where Keenum would have a great game and Zimmer would still be iffy on who his QB was. First 8 games last year, Cousins was on pace for a 5k yard season with over 2,500 yards the first 8 games. Then all of a sudden Zimmer puts an end to that and we all of a sudden see a significant drop in our passing offense and the final 8 games he threw only 1,700 yards. So far this year, Cousins isn't even on pace to hit 3k yards passing.

So ya cant blame any of the skilled position guys for asking out of this BS. I mean Thielen over the last 3 years has averaged 1,200 yards a season and now only getting 5 targets a game. What a freaking waste of talent on offense. Im actually hoping all 3 guys demand a trade so maybe Zygi might actually open his eyes and see we need a change.

Agree with all, save for maybe the Diggs always being a 1k WR part, but I have no idea what it would take at this point for the owners to understand who and what is holding this team back every year. Their own Head coach and GM.

You are on to something with that change midseason last year that has snowballed into what we see today. That change last year came around when they fired the OC for not running the ball enough. In classic Zimmer fashion he kneejerks the bit and goes 180 towards all running and hating passing entirely.

I like that Diggs and Theilen are pissed and wish Cousins would get pissed off and take it to them as well. Do it publicly because Zimmer will throw them under the bus first chance he gets. And if there is one thing Zimmer and Spielman can't handle it's public embarrassment and the public questioning them repeatedly about something. It makes me wonder if these guys were brought up in Japan or something. They just can't handle it. Well idiots, then fall on your sword and get out of this teams way already.
hermes
RealGM

Post#65 » by hermes » Sun Oct 6, 2019 5:22 pm

throwing the ball on the first drive, things looking good. got points

defense is flying around like mad men
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 5:45 pm

hermes wrote:throwing the ball on the first drive, things looking good. got points

defense is flying around like mad men

Nice to see Zimmer not doubling down and forcing his stupidity into an all out team collapse.(was pretty much already well into the collapse phase) They've had a nice balance of pass/run today and it's opening up everyone.

Of course, Zimmer did choose to kick a field goal on 3rd down. Had to add that little nod to his crapconservative history.

Field goals are decided once it's 4th down, not before. Not unless it's the final kick of the game, you're running out of time but have one field goal, and you need yards yet to get into range. Thazt's the only time a run play should be used to set up a field goal. Never when you are well into fieldgoal range at third down in the first quarter. Only the Vikings do this. No other team does that. But this dumb team has for many years.
hermes
RealGM

Post#67 » by hermes » Sun Oct 6, 2019 5:54 pm

yeah, good balance so far

looks like a functional nfl offense out there
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#68 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 5:57 pm

So all it took to start throwing the ball was to have one WR not show up and demand a trade and your other WR who is as mild manner as they get had to come out and take a couple shots. So basically just shy of a revolt from the skill players is all it took. And oh what a surprise, when you actually throw it not just in obvious passing situations but when you keep the defenses guessing, Kirk Cousins looks like a capable NFL QB, who would've thought it...

I also dont expect this to last long. A game or two and we will be right back to where we were before.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#69 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:00 pm

hermes wrote:yeah, good balance so far

looks like a functional nfl offense out there

It sure did. Right up until they had to force a shot to Diggs at the endzone on 3rd and 12. 12 yards would get them four more plays, and passes at that range are working today like butter. But nope. Classic Vikings. Force it ti Diggs deep in double coverage endzone. These are the classic issues that stop it from functioning at peak output. I guess it's still better than never passing.

Now they can tell Diggs to shut up for a while I suppose. Thielen continues to prove he's the one more capable of reeling in deeper shots and off target deeper shots. They have to start using Diggs in the middle of the field for this to really start clicking. He's so dangerous at that 12 - 15 yard distance.
hermes
RealGM

Post#70 » by hermes » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:08 pm

they do have an odd habit of just throwing deep balls on third and long. i mean that is very low percentage, for a 3rd and 6+. do we have no medium length routes we could run?

but we've scored each drive, not going to complain too much yet
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#71 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:So all it took to start throwing the ball was to have one WR not show up and demand a trade and your other WR who is as mild manner as they get had to come out and take a couple shots. So basically just shy of a revolt from the skill players is all it took. And oh what a surprise, when you actually throw it not just in obvious passing situations but when you keep the defenses guessing, Kirk Cousins looks like a capable NFL QB, who would've thought it...

I also dont expect this to last long. A game or two and we will be right back to where we were before.

Completely agree, also on the short term expectations of this. Might not even get through this whole game keeping this pace and mix. All it takes is one mistake and Zimmer's gonna flip again. The good news is mistakes are less likely when you are putting everyone in better situations each drive. Most of it has been smooth except for the penalties of course.

I also noticed even the check downs are forward passes being caught 3 to 4 yards down field. I can't stress the difference this makes enough. Much much less of that behind the line of scrimmage trash is so nice to see.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:10 pm

Seriously how can you have a WR like Thielen and not have it in your game plan to target him 10-15 times a game? It blows my mind it takes Thielen of all people to have to take some shots at this offense to get some targets. This offense has skill players, its a shame that Zimmer doesn't want to use them.
hermes
RealGM

Post#73 » by hermes » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:12 pm

nooooooo!
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#74 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:13 pm

hermes wrote:they do have an odd habit of just throwing deep balls on third and long. i mean that is very low percentage, for a 3rd and 6+. do we have no medium length routes we could run?

but we've scored each drive, not going to complain too much yet

I'll keep complaining about it because this is what keeps them from building leads early all the time. Settling for these field goals just keeps the other team right with you all game. Zimmer seems to love that.

You are right, it might seem like they don't have medium length plays the way the avoid it in that situation. But That's not the case because Thielen and Olibisi have caught a few of them already today. That's been a difference today, bigtime. However they still are employing old trash once in field goal range. First time called the FG setup run on 3rd. Second time called the shot at the endzone. Neither of them are high percentage compared to getting another first down instide the red zone.
hermes
RealGM

Post#75 » by hermes » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:15 pm

fumble stinks, ruined the drive but thanks to the defense being really hungry and getting it back for us
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:15 pm

I guess we can't trust Dalvin Cook the Fumbler anymore either. Dang fumbler. Go sit in the corner Cook, says Zimmer. Put your dunce cap on and get ready for me to call your name in the presser.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:16 pm

hermes wrote:fumble stinks, ruined the drive but thanks to the defense being really hungry and getting it back for us

Surprised by how the defense showed up today. Giants stadium doesn't have good history for this team. They are playn hard.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:18 pm

I know it ended in a fumble, that last possession was perfectly run. Great mix of run and pass. Keep that up and no need to bench Cook for it.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:18 pm

I wish we would blitz Barr more often.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#80 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:19 pm

ok. Why is Abdul getting two carries in a row? Cook is indeed in the dunce cap corner. Stupid Zimmster.

Return to Minnesota Vikings