ImageImageImage

2020 off-season news thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Re: 2020 off-season news thread 

Post#41 » by hermes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:06 am

i would have thought waiting on wr's would have been best since the class is deep but maybe he's great value at this spot
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#42 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 am

Traded Moss, drafted Harvin first frp
Traded Harvin, drafted Treadwell first frp
Treadwell busts for 5 years while two low drafted or undrafted WRs go beast for Vikings for years.
Let Adrian walk, drafted Cook with Vikings first pick of draft #41.
Traded Diggs, drafted Jefferson first frp

Right back to the Spielman cycle. You would think the Diggs/Thielen surprise would have taught him something else was possible. Guess not. Big hopes Jefferson is worth something. Maybe in Rick's 30th season with the Vikings he will learn how to improve his roster with FRPs instead of going sideways or down.

This just in though, one of the two FRPs they have, one of these they received for Diggs, is thrown away in trade to the 49ers. Because hey, 12 just isn't enough to be able to worm all around the draft and get exactly who you earmarked on your bigboard, exactly where you projected them, and for no better reason than that. Might as well get more and claim genius.
hermes
RealGM

Post#43 » by hermes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:22 am

moved back, not surprised.

read this was the deal: 25 for 31, 117, 176
espn's trade tracker is not on the ball so i don't know for sure

but we have a lot of picks in the middle rounds, could move up if we like a guy. or get a lot of swings at the plate which is alright too
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#44 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:30 am

hermes wrote:i would have thought waiting on wr's would have been best since the class is deep but maybe he's great value at this spot

"great value" ? Is this what will help you sleep at night? Is this when someone spits on something and buffs it to shine?

First picks for team in drafts.
Harvin mental bust
Treadwell bust bust
Cook injury bust
Waynes bustish

Diggs 5th round/Thielen undrafted - star receivers

Diggs and Thielen were great value. Let's trade one of them for a FRP so we can trade that down for #'s. 31, 117, 176.

Does that make 14 picks?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#45 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 am

hermes wrote:moved back, not surprised.

read this was the deal: 25 for 31, 117, 176
espn's trade tracker is not on the ball so i don't know for sure

but we have a lot of picks in the middle rounds, could move up if we like a guy. or get a lot of swings at the plate which is alright too

A lot of swings at the plate for OL for once would be a good move. Have one massive competition at camps and find the best ones. Won't happen though. This is bound to be the most trading for Rick ever. Bunch of irrelevant sliding up to come by combining picks. The good news is, the further down these players are drafted the more likely they are good players if they stick on the roster. High picks just play whether they deserve it or not (Treadwell)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#46 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 am

Jefferson is a 6'1" receiver. Another undersized speed WR for a FRP. Refusal to learn a single thing.
Jefferson wasn't even the best 6'1" receiver on his team.

I have no doubts that this team will send a TE out wide and have Jefferson and Thielen both in tight on formations with one of them just blocking often.

49ers WR pick from Vikings #25 traded away is a smaller 6 foot nuthin WR who has a 40" vert. Jefferson's vert is 37. Guaranteed Vikings will send him deep from the slot more then they send Thielen, and he won't be tall enough or jump high enough to be a reliable deep threat. His only chance is to get even faster and mimick young Desean Jackson or a more likely target as Diggs level.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#47 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:59 am

history repeating, mind numbing.

Hey they just drafted a hulked out Dion Sanders ballhawk for CB. Gotta hope this one works out early. Have no choice.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#48 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:34 am

Getting a lot picks is definitely a good thing considering how players they had to let go through free agency. I would have preferred to wait until the 2nd/3rd to draft a receiver, but they did need one, and BPA has to be a consideration.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#49 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Getting a lot picks is definitely a good thing considering how players they had to let go through free agency. I would have preferred to wait until the 2nd/3rd to draft a receiver, but they did need one, and BPA has to be a consideration.

You guys must all work for the team. Every post comes with generalized excuses. How does a 6-1 WR that wasn't even the best WR on his own team surface as the BPA of Vikings first FRP? This wasn't their BPA and it wasn't being listed as anyone elses BPA at the time. This was a classic Rick replacement pick for a name he just traded away. It was done out of need for a WR and need to satisfiy concerns from fans that saw them trade away yet another good receiver.

Here's the thing. Why was Diggs traded? He's a good player. He already had a contract. He wanted off this team and asked to be traded. That's why. He hated how they hate passing and it's gotten worse with the new coach add last year. So they move a disgruntled player for good return value but they put their first egg into the WR of the draft for a position they don't even want to feature on this team. Probably should have waited and got one later. Now they have a FRP WR that will always cost more if he plays well. Hopefully they did their background checks to find one with a tempered ego that won't mind 3 targets a game.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#50 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Getting a lot picks is definitely a good thing considering how players they had to let go through free agency. I would have preferred to wait until the 2nd/3rd to draft a receiver, but they did need one, and BPA has to be a consideration.

You guys must all work for the team. Every post comes with generalized excuses. How does a 6-1 WR that wasn't even the best WR on his own team surface as the BPA of Vikings first FRP? This wasn't their BPA and it wasn't being listed as anyone elses BPA at the time. This was a classic Rick replacement pick for a name he just traded away. It was done out of need for a WR and need to satisfiy concerns from fans that saw them trade away yet another good receiver.

Here's the thing. Why was Diggs traded? He's a good player. He already had a contract. He wanted off this team and asked to be traded. That's why. He hated how they hate passing and it's gotten worse with the new coach add last year. So they move a disgruntled player for good return value but they put their first egg into the WR of the draft for a position they don't even want to feature on this team. Probably should have waited and got one later. Now they have a FRP WR that will always cost more if he plays well. Hopefully they did their background checks to find one with a tempered ego that won't mind 3 targets a game.

He's taller than Diggs, so I'm not sure why height is a focal point for you. As far as BPA, I don't have a personal opinion on where he should be ranked but he was generally mocked in the area he was picked and usually a couple picks higher. Obviously the Vikings thought he was the BPA of the positions they were considering, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him.
hermes
RealGM

Post#51 » by hermes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 pm

what are your guys' thoughts on trent williams? seems to be a lot of smoke there
a year older than reiff but didn't play last year, some injury concerns - but he's also a 7-time pro bowler
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#52 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 am

hermes wrote:what are your guys' thoughts on trent williams? seems to be a lot of smoke there
a year older than reiff but didn't play last year, some injury concerns - but he's also a 7-time pro bowler

Actually less than a year older, more like 5 months. I’d take Williams if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Seems like a clear way to upgrade the line.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#53 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

He's taller than Diggs, so I'm not sure why height is a focal point for you. As far as BPA, I don't have a personal opinion on where he should be ranked but he was generally mocked in the area he was picked and usually a couple picks higher. Obviously the Vikings thought he was the BPA of the positions they were considering, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him.

Half inch taller than Diggs? Quarter inch? Am I supposed to believe that? He's not a high jumper with only 37 inch vert. Two receivers taken later have 40 or over. He's not really a hands catcher, more body catcher from what I'm seeing. I do like some of the late adjustments to the ball's thrown behind him. Reminds me of Theilen's adjustments to those in that way.

You say BPA was reason. I say it was a Diggs instant replacement and to satisfy Digg's fans that saw him traded away and therefore all NEED. You won't entertian my reasons and I see no proof of a BPA listed. A younger receiver on his college team was much more prolific. I hope he can be close to as good as Diggs earning separation space and hopefully be a better deep adjuster to the ball than Diggs. But he's no highpointer or hands guy at the moment.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#54 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:55 am

Worm Guts wrote:
hermes wrote:what are your guys' thoughts on trent williams? seems to be a lot of smoke there

Actually less than a year older, more like 5 months. I’d take Williams if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Seems like a clear way to upgrade the line.

Why not. Throw three picks at if if needed. What's Rick going to do with 12 more picks the rest of the way? Draft 12 lineman?
hermes
RealGM

Post#55 » by hermes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:10 am

took ezra cleveland, probably not a good sign for trent williams
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#56 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 am

I was hearing Cleveland as a guy the Vikings were considering reaching for in the first, so I’m assuming they like him a lot.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 am

Cleveland was one of the players I heard them talking about a lot during the combine said he had a good day. There is a quote somwhere about him maybe having an alltime combine sort of day.

Mims went directly after to Jets. This is the receiver I was interested in but not sure about. He's either going to be the next Troy Williamson or he's going to be a WR steal of this draft. Could ultimately be a terror owens level player maybe.

I didn't want them to pick Mims high in the first or second because it would feel way too much like Troy getting drafted 7th to replace Moss and watching that blow up in their face. Mims has some droppsies in his history. But his size is better than most in this draft and speed is elite. Can they teach him to hands catch better, flow better? We'll see Jets. This Vikings team would have probably been a horrible place for him. Vikings coaches are offensive clowns.
hermes
RealGM

Post#58 » by hermes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 am

the great restocking of the secondary cupboard continues with cameron dantzler
hermes
RealGM

Post#59 » by hermes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:31 am

sounds like cleveland could play at multiple positions, but likely to 'redshirt' his rookie year

like they did with samia and udoh last year, and tried with o'neill
hermes
RealGM

Post#60 » by hermes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:03 am

i know rick likes to trade around a lot but that seems like it was too good a deal to pass up

four picks for one late 3rd? saints must have really wanted that tight end

Return to Minnesota Vikings