ImageImageImage

2020 off-season news thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Re: 2020 off-season news thread 

Post#81 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:27 pm

Jedzz wrote:Jefferson is a 6'1" receiver. Another undersized speed WR for a FRP. Refusal to learn a single thing.
Jefferson wasn't even the best 6'1" receiver on his team.

I have no doubts that this team will send a TE out wide and have Jefferson and Thielen both in tight on formations with one of them just blocking often.

49ers WR pick from Vikings #25 traded away is a smaller 6 foot nuthin WR who has a 40" vert. Jefferson's vert is 37. Guaranteed Vikings will send him deep from the slot more then they send Thielen, and he won't be tall enough or jump high enough to be a reliable deep threat. His only chance is to get even faster and mimick young Desean Jackson or a more likely target as Diggs level.

6'1" is above average size for a WR. A 37 inch vertical is very good. I like Reagor, but Jefferson was faster at the combine, more than doubled his production and caught 92% of contested balls. That was best in the nation. 2nd best in the nation was 67%. I liked Mims also who was taller, bigger and Faster, but for whatever reason fell to the end of the 2nd round. Jefferson was by far considered superior to both of them. You just love to find a reason to whine. Who should we have taken at 22? Reagor or who? Maybe Ruiz. He would have been a great choice for our Guard deficiency. I think the Vikings believe Samia and Udoh are ready to step up. They also don't believe in using premium draft picks on guards.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:30 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Getting a lot picks is definitely a good thing considering how players they had to let go through free agency. I would have preferred to wait until the 2nd/3rd to draft a receiver, but they did need one, and BPA has to be a consideration.

You guys must all work for the team. Every post comes with generalized excuses. How does a 6-1 WR that wasn't even the best WR on his own team surface as the BPA of Vikings first FRP? This wasn't their BPA and it wasn't being listed as anyone elses BPA at the time. This was a classic Rick replacement pick for a name he just traded away. It was done out of need for a WR and need to satisfiy concerns from fans that saw them trade away yet another good receiver.

Here's the thing. Why was Diggs traded? He's a good player. He already had a contract. He wanted off this team and asked to be traded. That's why. He hated how they hate passing and it's gotten worse with the new coach add last year. So they move a disgruntled player for good return value but they put their first egg into the WR of the draft for a position they don't even want to feature on this team. Probably should have waited and got one later. Now they have a FRP WR that will always cost more if he plays well. Hopefully they did their background checks to find one with a tempered ego that won't mind 3 targets a game.

Jefferson was listed as BPA by virtually everybody. And your meaningless he wasn't the best WR on his own team comment. Duh Chase was considered the best WR in all of college football last year. Jefferson was considered the 4th best WR in the best WR draft ever. Not bad at pick 22.
The Vikings hated passing so much that Diggs has his by far best two seasons the last two years. I get we are more of a running team, but that doesn't mean we didn't desperately need another WR. If Bisi Johnson or Tajae Sharpe is your #2 WR than you aren't going to be able to run the football, because your opponents will pretty much be able to ignore the pass and shut down the run.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#83 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:33 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
You guys must all work for the team. Every post comes with generalized excuses. How does a 6-1 WR that wasn't even the best WR on his own team surface as the BPA of Vikings first FRP? This wasn't their BPA and it wasn't being listed as anyone elses BPA at the time. This was a classic Rick replacement pick for a name he just traded away. It was done out of need for a WR and need to satisfiy concerns from fans that saw them trade away yet another good receiver.

Here's the thing. Why was Diggs traded? He's a good player. He already had a contract. He wanted off this team and asked to be traded. That's why. He hated how they hate passing and it's gotten worse with the new coach add last year. So they move a disgruntled player for good return value but they put their first egg into the WR of the draft for a position they don't even want to feature on this team. Probably should have waited and got one later. Now they have a FRP WR that will always cost more if he plays well. Hopefully they did their background checks to find one with a tempered ego that won't mind 3 targets a game.

He's taller than Diggs, so I'm not sure why height is a focal point for you. As far as BPA, I don't have a personal opinion on where he should be ranked but he was generally mocked in the area he was picked and usually a couple picks higher. Obviously the Vikings thought he was the BPA of the positions they were considering, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him.

Half inch taller than Diggs? Quarter inch? Am I supposed to believe that? He's not a high jumper with only 37 inch vert. Two receivers taken later have 40 or over. He's not really a hands catcher, more body catcher from what I'm seeing. I do like some of the late adjustments to the ball's thrown behind him. Reminds me of Theilen's adjustments to those in that way.

You say BPA was reason. I say it was a Diggs instant replacement and to satisfy Digg's fans that saw him traded away and therefore all NEED. You won't entertian my reasons and I see no proof of a BPA listed. A younger receiver on his college team was much more prolific. I hope he can be close to as good as Diggs earning separation space and hopefully be a better deep adjuster to the ball than Diggs. But he's no highpointer or hands guy at the moment.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. Body Catcher? LMAO. :lol: . Best hands in all of college football. 92% contested catch %.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:36 pm

hermes wrote:sounds like cleveland could play at multiple positions, but likely to 'redshirt' his rookie year

like they did with samia and udoh last year, and tried with o'neill

Won't redshirt. Might not start, but will get a decent amount of action.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#85 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:38 pm

hermes wrote:another d-line and a linebacker, more defense restocking

little surprised at the linebacker

The Linebacker Troy Dye can also play safety and was considered a steal where we got him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#86 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:39 pm

hermes wrote:got another o-lineman, don't know the guy

The Guy Brandel was PFFs #1 rated pass blocker in the draft and #6 rated tackle overall. Per PFF.
Gave up 1 sack and 5 pressures on the season.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#87 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:41 pm

hermes wrote:finally took a guard but he's from d3

would have liked to get one earlier, still don't like our guard situation. any free agents left? well we probably don't have any money anyway - especially with having to sign like 50 draft picks

I heard draft pick signings will cost us like 4.4 million against the cap total. Cleveland may play guard. Hinton is actually more athletic than both O'Neill and Cleveland. It will be a huge step up for him, but he has the physical traits he needs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#88 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:45 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:
After the first round, I was expecting Rick to consolidate some picks into either another 2nd or 3rd rounder. there were quite a few bargains mid/late in the 2nd round & early/mid 3rd round.

this team still has a ton of holes.

Well that depends on how well they drafted, considering they drafted players at pretty much every position.

They didn't draft every position. In fact, no Kickers! No RBs! No TE! It's really quite amazing how they appear to have gone after the meat of the roster weaknesses this time around with multiple players in some categories which has always been what is needed.

In contrast with prior years where they would draft a single player at a position or two and imbue some kind of claim that these were new players that would be the next coming solution. After those picks they would just toss the rest into the wind. It really kind of seems different, even beyond the overwhelming number of picks brought in. Year after year after year of spending picks on RB and TE and Special Teams when it was never a need, just tossing picks to the wind.

You are right in that it still depends on how well they drafted. But for once maybe they gave themselves more chances to get a few more right. Still didn't make Oline enough of a focus, but that's always been a Rick thing. Maybe one thing that will never change.

Good post. As for O Line focus we have been making early round picks on O Line for the last 4 years in a row. Elflein 3rd (traded up for pick),O'Neill 2nd, Bradbury 1st, Samia 4th (traded up for pick), Cleveland 2nd. We also signed two OL in FA with Reiff and Remmers. That is a lot of focus on the OL. Maybe not the right players, but a lot of focus. I expect the OL to become one of the best in the league in the next few years.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#89 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 3, 2020 2:50 pm

This is my take on every pick.Amazing how neglected the Football board is on RealGM.
Vikings added 15 players and a 4th and 5th round pick for next season.
Justin Jefferson was ridiculously productive. How much of that was Burrow and the system we will find out.
He caught an unbelievable 92% of contested balls. When Jefferson was targeted Burrow completed over 80%.
Gladney was a PBU machine over his entire career. Will be one of the strongest CBs in the league the day he comes in.
Ezra Cleveland is 6'6" 311 pounds and ran under a 5 second 40. Experienced and productive.
Cameron Dantzler experienced against the best WRs in the nation. Jefferson, Chase, Jeudy and Ruggs. Held them all in check
Wonnum being compared to Hunter, but does not have the measurables to match. Maybe a reach. Patterson loves him.
James Lynch was the Best DL in all of college football based on combination of Sacks and Pressures.
Troy Dye led Oregon in tackles 4 years in a row. Great coverage LB who completely shuts down TEs.
Harrison Hand a good college CB with the traits to switch to safety.
KJ Osborn. A great punt returner, mediocre KO returner and wr with good not great measurables. Puzzling selection.
Blake Brandel. In 500 pass protection snaps gave up 5 pressures and one sack. Per PFF the best pass blocking tackle in the draft.
Josh Metellus a strong physical safety.
Kenny Willekus rated by most sources as a 4th round pick. Was Big10 DL of the year in 2018. Ridiculously productive in the 7th.
Nate Stanley QB who started three years and led Iowa to 3 Bowl wins.
Kyle Hinton. DIII guard who dominated the competition he got to play against. 4.88 40 and 34 reps. Stronger and faster than O'Neill and Cleveland.

That's everybody. This draft was graded by all the analysts as one of the three best. Primary complaint about it is not getting enough guard help. Spielman says Cleveland may play guard. What you all think?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#90 » by hermes » Sun May 3, 2020 3:51 pm

patterson has a pretty good track record at developing guys, so i feel good about wonnum and willekes becoming something - might only be solid rotation guys and it might take a year or two but there's a good chance we can make something of them

i don't know about cleveland at guard. i generally am not a fan of moving guys around the line. it hasn't really worked for us in the past, lack of stability i think has had a part in the struggles of our line lately. if they think cleveland is a tackle of the future then i'd leave him at tackle and let him only focus on the one spot
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#91 » by Jedzz » Thu May 7, 2020 5:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
He's taller than Diggs, so I'm not sure why height is a focal point for you. As far as BPA, I don't have a personal opinion on where he should be ranked but he was generally mocked in the area he was picked and usually a couple picks higher. Obviously the Vikings thought he was the BPA of the positions they were considering, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him.

Half inch taller than Diggs? Quarter inch? Am I supposed to believe that? He's not a high jumper with only 37 inch vert. Two receivers taken later have 40 or over. He's not really a hands catcher, more body catcher from what I'm seeing. I do like some of the late adjustments to the ball's thrown behind him. Reminds me of Theilen's adjustments to those in that way.

You say BPA was reason. I say it was a Diggs instant replacement and to satisfy Digg's fans that saw him traded away and therefore all NEED. You won't entertian my reasons and I see no proof of a BPA listed. A younger receiver on his college team was much more prolific. I hope he can be close to as good as Diggs earning separation space and hopefully be a better deep adjuster to the ball than Diggs. But he's no highpointer or hands guy at the moment.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. Body Catcher? LMAO. :lol: . Best hands in all of college football. 92% contested catch %.

When you start talking about others embarrassing themselves, it's really just you embarrassing yourself. Take a breather and try not to let that old inner troll out of the basement next time.

Let me inform you what the team and some fans were trying to sell about Treadwell before his draft and after his selection. It was all about his contested catch ability, and it was all absolutely meaningless once he got here.

If you're slow on the field or can't create seperation based on being bodied or just aren't creative enough in the moment to create your own space then all your college catches are going to be through hard work contested catches. But we are talking College level corners that get run over all day every day in college.

None of this means Jefferson will be Treadwell like. I'm just not buying the rhetoric you are serving up. I'm also not a heavy college football watcher and will never claim I know who the best WRs are coming out. But wasn't a younger WR on Jefferson's own team more proliffic in yards per catch? Just guessing here, but their offense and that QB seem to like to throw. So it's great Jefferson didn't come from a running team with an aversion to passing. But that is the type of team he is joining. And so if you know this team, you know he won't have 3 other targets drawing coverage to spread out. It will be him and Thelein or him and and a TE on most plays and the double teams will come as soon as he has one nice play. Let's revisit your crowning him king of best hands catcher in college based on contested rate instead of what he was actually catching. Because if he was a couple inches taller, and or could leap 4 inches higher and actually showed much catching the ball away from his body, then I might think he could translate that high level to the NFL. WIth the little I've seen, he will likely have to aim for being as good as Diggs doing it how Diggs did things. That's the aim, not the automatic result.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 7, 2020 6:54 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

When you start talking about others embarrassing themselves, it's really just you embarrassing yourself. Take a breather and try not to let that old inner troll out of the basement next time.

Let me inform you what the team and some fans were trying to sell about Treadwell before his draft and after his selection. It was all about his contested catch ability, and it was all absolutely meaningless once he got here.

If you're slow on the field or can't create seperation based on being bodied or just aren't creative enough in the moment to create your own space then all your college catches are going to be through hard work contested catches. But we are talking College level corners that get run over all day every day in college.

None of this means Jefferson will be Treadwell like. I'm just not buying the rhetoric you are serving up. I'm also not a heavy college football watcher and will never claim I know who the best WRs are coming out. But wasn't a younger WR on Jefferson's own team more proliffic in yards per catch? Just guessing here, but their offense and that QB seem to like to throw. So it's great Jefferson didn't come from a running team with an aversion to passing. But that is the type of team he is joining. And so if you know this team, you know he won't have 3 other targets drawing coverage to spread out. It will be him and Thelein or him and and a TE on most plays and the double teams will come as soon as he has one nice play. Let's revisit your crowning him king of best hands catcher in college based on contested rate instead of what he was actually catching. Because if he was a couple inches taller, and or could leap 4 inches higher and actually showed much catching the ball away from his body, then I might think he could translate that high level to the NFL. WIth the little I've seen, he will likely have to aim for being as good as Diggs doing it how Diggs did things. That's the aim, not the automatic result.

I hated the selection of Treadwell and was very vocal about it on the night he was drafted and later. I actually wanted Mims more than Jefferson, but it seems that none of the GMs in the NFL agreed with me. However, Jefferson is considered by pretty much everybody to either have the best hands in the draft or close to it. That is why I said you were embarrassing yourself with the body catcher commentary. I'm not saying Jefferson is better than Diggs now or ever will be, but he is faster, bigger and far more productive in college than Diggs ever was. 6'1.25", 202 pounds,with 4.43 speed and 37.5 inch vert are all great numbers. Diggs is 6'0", 193, 4.46 speed and a 35 inch vert. If you want the pure athleticism Mims is your man, but Jefferson's measurables are very good and together with his excellent route running and incredible catching/hands he should be a good to very good pro.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#93 » by hermes » Fri May 8, 2020 12:54 am

vikings 2020 schedule

13 Sep Green Bay Packers 12:00 PM
20 Sep @ Indianapolis Colts 12:00 PM
27 Sep Tennessee Titans 12:00 PM
4 Oct @ Houston Texans 12:00 PM
11 Oct @ Seattle Seahawks 7:30 PM
18 Oct Atlanta Falcons 12:00 PM
25 Oct BYE WEEK BYE WEEK
1 Nov @ Green Bay Packers 12:00 PM
8 Nov Detroit Lions 12:00 PM
16 Nov (Mon) @ Chicago Bears 7:15 PM
22 Nov Dallas Cowboys 3:15 PM
29 Nov Carolina Panthers 12:00 PM
6 Dec Jacksonville Jaguars 12:00 PM
13 Dec @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12:00 PM
20 Dec Chicago Bears 12:00 PM
25 Dec (Fri) @ New Orleans Saints 2:30 PM
3 Jan @ Detroit Lions 12:00 PM

looks like we have a rough road slate this year, all the prime time games are on the road. we have to go to seattle for the third year in a row ( :curse: ), christmas game on friday
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#94 » by Jedzz » Fri May 8, 2020 2:08 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You're just embarrassing yourself now. Body Catcher? LMAO. :lol: . Best hands in all of college football. 92% contested catch %.

I hated the selection of Treadwell and was very vocal about it on the night he was drafted and later. I actually wanted Mims more than Jefferson, but it seems that none of the GMs in the NFL agreed with me. However, Jefferson is considered by pretty much everybody to either have the best hands in the draft or close to it. That is why I said you were embarrassing yourself with the body catcher commentary. I'm not saying Jefferson is better than Diggs now or ever will be, but he is faster, bigger and far more productive in college than Diggs ever was. 6'1.25", 202 pounds,with 4.43 speed and 37.5 inch vert are all great numbers. Diggs is 6'0", 193, 4.46 speed and a 35 inch vert. If you want the pure athleticism Mims is your man, but Jefferson's measurables are very good and together with his excellent route running and incredible catching/hands he should be a good to very good pro.

You want to have a normal conversation now? Is that it?

6'1.25" is a small receiver in the NFL. Just because the Vikings love themselves tiny recevers doesn't mean they are all Desean Jacksons. Vikings tried really hard to make Diggs into Desean I can tell you that. So much so that they hurt what he was absurdly elite at and that was catching 12-15 yard passes and turning them into large yards after the catch numbers. The three 40 yard catches a game weren't as healthy for the team as eight 12's that each go for nearly 25. Instead they tried to sell him as a deep threat with low probability targets deep and slowly lowering target amounts. But that's neither here nor there in this convo.

6'1 might as well be 6 ft nothing. They have to work harder to be special players, they get beat up more, miss more games. I don't have any issue with them per say, except when you spend first round picks on them. Look were they got Diggs and Theilen. Wrs in teh first round should be 6-3 with low 40s and great high point hands. Otherwise you should maybe wait to take them later.

As far as being a body catcher claim goes, I just watched all those big play videos and that's what he is doing. As I said he is a good adjuster to the ball in the air and will come back to it. "Best hands in college" isn't earned with body catches or contested catch stats. It's earned by outreached hands and insane catching radius, and a solid catch percentage. You absolutely have used the exact same rhetoric that was used to sell Treadwell as a star first round pick.

Chase, Ja'Marr WR LSU 84 receptions, 1780 yards, 21.2 yards/c avg. 14 games, 20 Touchd, Long 78, (9) 100+ yard games
Jefferson, Justin WR 111 receptions, 1540 yards, 13.9 yards/c avg. 15 games, 18 Touchd, Long 71, (8) 100+ yard games

As I said, Jefferson wasn't even the best receiver on his team. Jefferson is a bigger receiver than Ja'Marr but he's not better. Jefferson reminds me more of how Jarious Wright played so he could be a first down machine. Good routes, good all around receiver skills. Not a high flyer, not a one handed sideline high pointer. In other words, not a first rounder. What it is. These days are nothing like the drafting days of yore. At least he wasn't taken in the first 15 picks.

Jefferson was a 800 yards guy before 2019. LSU had some kind of 10k catches thing over the summer and they changed that offense attack. They had 5 players with over 45 catches and it kind of reminded me of the 2017 Vikings. Because it was two main WRs and a third, then Backs and TEs.

I want to know why Ja'Marr Chase wasn't eligible for the draft this year. I don't know the details on his eligibility, but how many light it up like that? Moronic draft eligibility rules.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#95 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 9, 2020 12:56 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

You want to have a normal conversation now? Is that it?

6'1.25" is a small receiver in the NFL. Just because the Vikings love themselves tiny recevers doesn't mean they are all Desean Jacksons. Vikings tried really hard to make Diggs into Desean I can tell you that. So much so that they hurt what he was absurdly elite at and that was catching 12-15 yard passes and turning them into large yards after the catch numbers. The three 40 yard catches a game weren't as healthy for the team as eight 12's that each go for nearly 25. Instead they tried to sell him as a deep threat with low probability targets deep and slowly lowering target amounts. But that's neither here nor there in this convo.

6'1 might as well be 6 ft nothing. They have to work harder to be special players, they get beat up more, miss more games. I don't have any issue with them per say, except when you spend first round picks on them. Look were they got Diggs and Theilen. Wrs in teh first round should be 6-3 with low 40s and great high point hands. Otherwise you should maybe wait to take them later.

As far as being a body catcher claim goes, I just watched all those big play videos and that's what he is doing. As I said he is a good adjuster to the ball in the air and will come back to it. "Best hands in college" isn't earned with body catches or contested catch stats. It's earned by outreached hands and insane catching radius, and a solid catch percentage. You absolutely have used the exact same rhetoric that was used to sell Treadwell as a star first round pick.

Chase, Ja'Marr WR LSU 84 receptions, 1780 yards, 21.2 yards/c avg. 14 games, 20 Touchd, Long 78, (9) 100+ yard games
Jefferson, Justin WR 111 receptions, 1540 yards, 13.9 yards/c avg. 15 games, 18 Touchd, Long 71, (8) 100+ yard games

As I said, Jefferson wasn't even the best receiver on his team. Jefferson is a bigger receiver than Ja'Marr but he's not better. Jefferson reminds me more of how Jarious Wright played so he could be a first down machine. Good routes, good all around receiver skills. Not a high flyer, not a one handed sideline high pointer. In other words, not a first rounder. What it is. These days are nothing like the drafting days of yore. At least he wasn't taken in the first 15 picks.

Jefferson was a 800 yards guy before 2019. LSU had some kind of 10k catches thing over the summer and they changed that offense attack. They had 5 players with over 45 catches and it kind of reminded me of the 2017 Vikings. Because it was two main WRs and a third, then Backs and TEs.

I want to know why Ja'Marr Chase wasn't eligible for the draft this year. I don't know the details on his eligibility, but how many light it up like that? Moronic draft eligibility rules.

Jedzz you are way off on this. 6'1.25" and over 200 pounds is NOT a small WR. However, if you want to go by the physical measurables than the guy I wanted Mims was your guy. NFL GMs must all be stupid because smaller and slower WRs were all drafted before him with him lasting past our 2nd round pick 58.

Jamarr Chase probably is better than Jefferson. Chase was the only college WR with better production than Jefferson, but guess what? BFD who gives a crap. That has nothing to do with the WRs in this years draft. Jefferson by most was considered the 4th best. Also you like less long passes for more short ones. Jefferson is your man. However 14 yards per reception is still pretty good. As for Jefferson not producing as much before this season LSU got Burrow this season and completely changed the offense. Jefferson took huge advantage of this. Who made who? Probably a bit of both. Also Jefferson came up large in the big games. In the National Semifinal against Oklahoma he had 14 receptions 227 yards and 4 TDs. Chase had 2 receptions. Against Clemson in the Championship against 4 NFL drafted DBs he was held to only 9 receptions for 106 yards. His worst playoff game was 9 receptions for 106 yards. I can live with that.

The only thing that Treadwell did well in college was contested catches and it is a good skill to have, but he didn't do them nearly as well as Jefferson. However, Jefferson didn't need to do many contested catches because he was almost always open. In a 40 yard dash Jefferson would beat Treadwell by 3 yards. So I'm in no way shape or form selling them on the same rhetoric. The total package of the two is why I hated Treadwell and really like Jefferson.

Jefferson according to all reports and what I see on film has sensational hands. If the ball is in his zip code he is going to catch it. He is tall, fast and has an excellent 37.5 inch vert. That is a large catch radius. Not as large as Mims. Time will tell if Mims is the better choice. He might be. However, Jefferson looks like a great choice.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#96 » by Jedzz » Sat May 9, 2020 4:26 am

KGdaBom wrote:Jedzz you are way off on this. 6'1.25" and over 200 pounds is NOT a small WR. However, if you want to go by the physical measurables than the guy I wanted Mims was your guy. NFL GMs must all be stupid because smaller and slower WRs were all drafted before him with him lasting past our 2nd round pick 58.

Jamarr Chase probably is better than Jefferson. Chase was the only college WR with better production than Jefferson, but guess what? BFD who gives a crap. That has nothing to do with the WRs in this years draft. Jefferson by most was considered the 4th best. Also you like less long passes for more short ones. Jefferson is your man. However 14 yards per reception is still pretty good.

You are all about disagreeing with me so that's as far as I'm reading. I also don't need all the +1s you send my way just so you can defecate on and ignore my post points. As for this portion of yours, 6-1 is a fledgling size for first round WR. Disagree a hundred times I don't care, because that's my opinion. I'll bring history with me to back it. It takes special players to be great receivers in the NFL when they are smaller, ie: harder to find. It's not impossible, it just has less potential and probability to pay off at first round return levels. You also completely disregard all my points defending these statements. Like how the small ones get beat up when they get to be the passing focus and don't make it through enough seasons. But nevermind that right? If spending FRPs I think the team should be looking for Julio Jones, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson types, otherwise wait. Do you know how hard it is to find the Anquan Boldins (round 2#54), Donald Drivers(round 7#213), Stegon Diggs(round 5#145 and Julian Edelman (round7#232 former college QB) types? They need to be complete competitiors on the turf, in their heads, and in their bones. But that sized player is a dime a dozen to choose from in later rounds so hunt for them there and take more than one shot in those rounds to find them if you need one. Don't throw haymaker singular FRP shots on them and expect them to automatically fill the role of a proven player. In this thread it has already been discussed how the Vikings repeatedly make this mistake.

It's the first round pick he cost and that he now has to produce like Diggs or the team gets worse. A sideways move if it turns out great, and it cost another FRP to just maintain at best? I guess we'll see but it's likely already a loss of team value instead of gaining anything. I can't possibly explain what a boon that was for a team to have late round WRs or undrafted WRs (Digggs/Thielen) that can star at WR for you. This team screwed a perfect situation the only ways you could and now blew FRP values trying just to maintain what they already had. With all the picks they had they could have found 4 new 6-0 to 6-3 receivers in later rounds and improved the chances of finding one with the right combination of heart and skills to be that guy without putting major pressure on a single player to be that guy.

As for my "short" route description of 12 yards versus long of 40 is nothing like the "short" routes the Vikings will use which are more like 2 yards. His choices will be 2 yards routes and 40 yard routes. I wish him all the best he can attain.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#97 » by Jedzz » Sat May 9, 2020 4:30 pm

rhetoric
-language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.
"all we have from the Opposition is empty rhetoric"
Definition: extravagant exaggeration
“I’m so hungry I could eat a horse.”

hyperbole
-literary and rhetorical device. Not just moderate exaggeration, but extreme exaggeration: being hungry enough to eat a horse, or so angry you will literally explode, or having to walk 40 miles uphill both ways to school every day

KGdaBom wrote:Jefferson was listed as BPA by virtually everybody.

KGdaBom wrote:Jefferson was considered the 4th best WR in the best WR draft ever.

Seriously?

KGdaBom wrote:6'1" is above average size for a WR.

I don't think so and I wouldn't draft for average in the first round which has been the point.

Enough empty hyperbole and rhetoric.

KGdaBom wrote: If Bisi Johnson or Tajae Sharpe is your #2 WR than you aren't going to be able to run the football, because your opponents will pretty much be able to ignore the pass and shut down the run.

Tajae Sharpe may well do good things with Vikings if he has enough chances to play on the field. If the Vikings push the new FRP WR as the #2 and really only use two WRs much as typical than who knows... Sharpe was a good target for Tennessee and knows how to find space. I hear a knock on him is concentration and catch percentage, but that this problem somehow goes away in crucial moments where his catch percentage really climbs on 3rd/4th down and endzones. Hopefully that's true but I wonder if any lack of concentration shown in laid back offseason camps will limit his role. There isn't much receiver action in this offense to go around.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#98 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 9, 2020 5:31 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Jedzz you are way off on this. 6'1.25" and over 200 pounds is NOT a small WR. However, if you want to go by the physical measurables than the guy I wanted Mims was your guy. NFL GMs must all be stupid because smaller and slower WRs were all drafted before him with him lasting past our 2nd round pick 58.

Jamarr Chase probably is better than Jefferson. Chase was the only college WR with better production than Jefferson, but guess what? BFD who gives a crap. That has nothing to do with the WRs in this years draft. Jefferson by most was considered the 4th best. Also you like less long passes for more short ones. Jefferson is your man. However 14 yards per reception is still pretty good.

You are all about disagreeing with me so that's as far as I'm reading. I also don't need all the +1s you send my way just so you can defecate on and ignore my post points. As for this portion of yours, 6-1 is a fledgling size for first round WR. Disagree a hundred times I don't care, because that's my opinion. I'll bring history with me to back it. It takes special players to be great receivers in the NFL when they are smaller, ie: harder to find. It's not impossible, it just has less potential and probability to pay off at first round return levels. You also completely disregard all my points defending these statements. Like how the small ones get beat up when they get to be the passing focus and don't make it through enough seasons. But nevermind that right? If spending FRPs I think the team should be looking for Julio Jones, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson types, otherwise wait. Do you know how hard it is to find the Anquan Boldins (round 2#54), Donald Drivers(round 7#213), Stegon Diggs(round 5#145 and Julian Edelman (round7#232 former college QB) types? They need to be complete competitiors on the turf, in their heads, and in their bones. But that sized player is a dime a dozen to choose from in later rounds so hunt for them there and take more than one shot in those rounds to find them if you need one. Don't throw haymaker singular FRP shots on them and expect them to automatically fill the role of a proven player. In this thread it has already been discussed how the Vikings repeatedly make this mistake.

It's the first round pick he cost and that he now has to produce like Diggs or the team gets worse. A sideways move if it turns out great, and it cost another FRP to just maintain at best? I guess we'll see but it's likely already a loss of team value instead of gaining anything. I can't possibly explain what a boon that was for a team to have late round WRs or undrafted WRs (Digggs/Thielen) that can star at WR for you. This team screwed a perfect situation the only ways you could and now blew FRP values trying just to maintain what they already had. With all the picks they had they could have found 4 new 6-0 to 6-3 receivers in later rounds and improved the chances of finding one with the right combination of heart and skills to be that guy without putting major pressure on a single player to be that guy.

As for my "short" route description of 12 yards versus long of 40 is nothing like the "short" routes the Vikings will use which are more like 2 yards. His choices will be 2 yards routes and 40 yard routes. I wish him all the best he can attain.

I'm not all about disagreeing with you. I just happen to disagree with you vehemently. I addressed your points. You keep acting like 6'1.25" and over 200 pounds is small. That is ridiculous. It is easily bigger than average. I told you who we could have picked instead if all you care about are the measurables. Mims and we could have gone Claypool. Pittman was also much bigger. If that is all you care about than we could have had all 3 of those guys as not a single team in the NFL was interested in drafting any of those three guys in the first round. You can't make size and measurables the only determining factor in picking 1st round WRs. So quit the BS of being all about disagreeing with me and consider the points I made.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 9, 2020 5:40 pm

Jedzz wrote:rhetoric
-language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.
"all we have from the Opposition is empty rhetoric"
Definition: extravagant exaggeration
“I’m so hungry I could eat a horse.”

hyperbole
-literary and rhetorical device. Not just moderate exaggeration, but extreme exaggeration: being hungry enough to eat a horse, or so angry you will literally explode, or having to walk 40 miles uphill both ways to school every day

KGdaBom wrote:Jefferson was listed as BPA by virtually everybody.

KGdaBom wrote:Jefferson was considered the 4th best WR in the best WR draft ever.

Seriously?

KGdaBom wrote:6'1" is above average size for a WR.

I don't think so and I wouldn't draft for average in the first round which has been the point.

Enough empty hyperbole and rhetoric.

KGdaBom wrote: If Bisi Johnson or Tajae Sharpe is your #2 WR than you aren't going to be able to run the football, because your opponents will pretty much be able to ignore the pass and shut down the run.

Tajae Sharpe may well do good things with Vikings if he has enough chances to play on the field. If the Vikings push the new FRP WR as the #2 and really only use two WRs much as typical than who knows... Sharpe was a good target for Tennessee and knows how to find space. I hear a knock on him is concentration and catch percentage, but that this problem somehow goes away in crucial moments where his catch percentage really climbs on 3rd/4th down and endzones. Hopefully that's true but I wonder if any lack of concentration shown in laid back offseason camps will limit his role. There isn't much receiver action in this offense to go around.

I know what rhetoric is and you acting like I am advocating drafting Jefferson for the same reason Treadwell was advocated is ridiculous. I did mention his unbelievably great contested catch % because it was by far and away the best in all of college football. That is a good thing. He also had the best completion rate by far of all WRs in college football. You have noted how that is good yourself. I also pointed out how he seldom had to make contested catches because he almost always got open. He's also very fast. Not Tyreek Hill fast but faster than 90% of the WRs in the league. Put all that together with his best hands in college football with volume and we got something far better than average. You are just being an ill tempered jerk in this discussion with me.

Yes Seriously regarded by the vast majority as the 4th best Wr in this draft and the vast majority considered this the best WR draft in history.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#100 » by Jedzz » Sat May 9, 2020 11:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I know what rhetoric is and you acting like I am advocating drafting Jefferson for the same reason Treadwell was advocated is ridiculous. I did mention his unbelievably great contested catch % because it was by far and away the best in all of college football. That is a good thing. He also had the best completion rate by far of all WRs in college football. You have noted how that is good yourself. I also pointed out how he seldom had to make contested catches because he almost always got open. He's also very fast. Not Tyreek Hill fast but faster than 90% of the WRs in the league. Put all that together with his best hands in college football with volume and we got something far better than average. You are just being an ill tempered jerk in this discussion with me.

Yes Seriously regarded by the vast majority as the 4th best Wr in this draft and the vast majority considered this the best WR draft in history.

I don't care if you know or not. I"m suggesting you stop using it to disagree with people. I gave you the descriptions next to examples of your usage of it so you are sure to understand you have been. Now hearing you already know just tells me you aren't someone to expect a decent discussion with.

Best Hands of the draft! Best WR draft Eva! Consensus by everyone! Oh my god.

Any claim of this being the best WR draft ever, right now, is maybe the most laughable claim I have ever heard. Yet you still are trying to defend this statement. But if it does end up proving to be a great WR draft after a few years of proving so won't you feel foolish claiming they had to spend a FRP on a 6-1 WR if there were so many in this draft to choose from?

Claiming I'm being ill tempered sure is righteous from the guy who came out guns blazing saying I'm embarrassing myself and numerous other kind descriptions. This is classic you. Call someone names and disagree in order to get them talking to you.

I wrote you off last summer for doing the same thing. You've stepped in it again already in May so good riddance.

Edit: This is what your stains on the page look like to me now.
Spoiler:
KGdaBom, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.

That's just the top section of this page alone. Enjoy yourself.

Return to Minnesota Vikings