ImageImageImage

2020 regular season

Moderator: Worm Guts

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: 2020 regular season 

Post#21 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm

So now the great Running scheme focus has had to split Dalvin Cook out wide left! Whatever, it drew coverage and Jefferson had a day of days. Good to see them being a little more creative and aggressive. Too bad the defense is still worthless.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#22 » by hermes » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:27 am

seems like we'll be able to play this week, unless somebody tests positive tomorrow

bad news is that hunter is getting a second opinion, might be out for a while longer
hermes
RealGM

Post#23 » by hermes » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:04 pm

we did it! by the skin of our teeth but we did it

offense is really starting to click. dalvin got lathered up today (career high in carries) and jefferson continues to impress

but the defense, especially the secondary is a real sieve. harrison being out was a problem but he'll be back. still won't fix everything though
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#24 » by Worm Guts » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:16 pm

The defense did look good in the first half but much worse in the 2nd. I’m sure that’s at least partially because Smith was ejected, and possibly also because we were trying to protect the lead.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#25 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:30 pm

My guess is we end up around 4-6 wins. The secondary is going to get picked apart all season long.

Looks like we got something with Jefferson though. Guy just seems to have "it".
hermes
RealGM

Post#26 » by hermes » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:46 am

yeah i really like jefferson

its good he's coming along, because only four people caught passes today and just two wrs
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#27 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:59 pm

It's not surprising to see the secondary struggle with multiple rookies playing with no preseason. There can be at least some hope Gladney and Dantzler will improve with experience. It's clear we lack safety depth behind Smith and Harris. It would also be a big help to get Hunter back and get some consistent pressure on the QB.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:45 am

hermes wrote:yeah i really like jefferson

its good he's coming along, because only four people caught passes today and just two wrs

Jefferson appears to be breaking the track record of bust WR picks after trading starting WRs. That's a good change.

Agree, necessary with how little they target WRs so far.

Can't say the Vikings didn't accomplish anything in 19/20 season. They did their part to get Bill O'Brien fired.
Finding a defense and keeping Cook on his feet might be the tests for the rest of the season.
hermes
RealGM

Post#29 » by hermes » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:51 pm

it was a good game, there for us but we couldn't pull it off. most of the game was basically our perfect blueprint except for a disastrous 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter and the last drive.

offense is really hitting its stride and the defense played really well in the first half, they might be pulling it together. getting some people back healthy will only help. like elflein, man samia isn't working out
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 pm

I went from being pissed off at Samia to feeling bad for him. He had about as bad of a game as you can get. Penalties left and right and just horrible play. Every bad play or penalty, you know it was either going to show 73 getting burned, or the ref was calling 73 for a penalty.

Ill stick with the 4-6 win prediction. I think we will have moments where the secondary shows flashes, but I dont trust them to have complete solid games yet. The O line are damn good run blockers, but when it gets to a known passing down, Kirk still has zero time back there.
hermes
RealGM

Post#31 » by hermes » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 pm

if we can play like we did yesterday consistently but without the turnovers we might have something. great running game means less kirk standing back in a collapsing pocket

if those two turnovers don't happen, the last drive doesn't matter
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 pm

hermes wrote:if we can play like we did yesterday consistently but without the turnovers we might have something. great running game means less kirk standing back in a collapsing pocket

if those two turnovers don't happen, the last drive doesn't matter

They are running too much. How many teams in the league are targeting 27 runs to their lead back anymore? To the entire offense anymore? Against Houston it was 40 runs, 27 to Cook, 13 to others. This game because of Cooks injury it was 17 to cook and 20 to Mattison (37 to lead back this time), totalling 41 runs with everyone.

It's nice they think they can finally rush the ball again. But this is getting near the offense disparity of the Adrian years. Need to close the gap a little, mix it up more. Especially from game to game, opponent to opponent. Don't become predictable.
hermes
RealGM

Post#33 » by hermes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 pm

so samia is out. i don't know who is starting in place of him. we'll see if its a 'can't possibly be any worse' type situation or there was a reason samia was next off the bench ahead of anyone else

we should probably all pray for kirk anyway
hermes
RealGM

Post#34 » by hermes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 pm

justin jefferson is really good

didn't hear a lot from cleveland today so he must have been not terrible in his first start. line wasn't great but what else is new. cousins did not have it today and there was no rhythm on offense. today was not a good day for the young corners. odenigbo is really coming on, seems to make a few really nice plays each week

just forget about this one and move on. might have been a case of letting the seattle loss become two losses (not getting over it)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:06 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I went from being pissed off at Samia to feeling bad for him. He had about as bad of a game as you can get. Penalties left and right and just horrible play. Every bad play or penalty, you know it was either going to show 73 getting burned, or the ref was calling 73 for a penalty.

Ill stick with the 4-6 win prediction. I think we will have moments where the secondary shows flashes, but I dont trust them to have complete solid games yet. The O line are damn good run blockers, but when it gets to a known passing down, Kirk still has zero time back there.

After today's game feel this is like 2010, after Chilly got his extension late in 2009 for that seasons' results which were based on players, not what the coach was doing for them. In 2010 it was painfully clear and this feels much the same now. I know there are a lot of believers in Zimmer, but this team is about as clueless about offense and in game adjustments as this Chilly regime was. They don't know how to run balanced offense or how to course correct during games. The lack of offensive minds has hurt for too many years. But now with no defense to keep them in it this ends up looking like Cleveland Browns typical losses.

Down 10-0 they choose to go for it on 4th and goal with really weak play choices. Took Mattison out (rarely would have with Cook). The game before they had another 4th and went for it, screwing it up. This game the old Zimmer would have taken the 3pts and the score would be 10-3. If you are going to go for it, they have to use tried and true scoring plays. Use Rudolphs height in the endzone or use the corner fades to Theilen or Jefferson. A Cousins roll out to the corner with Thielen in corner and Rudolph standing high in middle as targets gets it done more times then not. But what was the playcalls this series? Shake my head. Taking Mattison out was foolish. Leave him and the fullback in, let the D really believe run again. Why the sub...these coaches are just terrible.

I don't know how they could make Mattison look horrible this week. Was it just the Falcons D, or did the Vikings try to change everything because Cook was out? They are both so capable but this was a different attitude today. I know they fell behind. But with Cook around they never would have backed off so early regardless.

Zimmer's got no control over this team. The defense certainly isn't up to Vikings standards. Like Chilly in 2010, it feels like Zimmer has got to go right after signing an extension.

I agree 4 to 6 wins. Just enough games where everything happens to click to hurt themselves for the next draft. I don't see them winning 8 games which is a typical down season. Too much would have to change now.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I went from being pissed off at Samia to feeling bad for him. He had about as bad of a game as you can get. Penalties left and right and just horrible play. Every bad play or penalty, you know it was either going to show 73 getting burned, or the ref was calling 73 for a penalty.

After today's game feel this is like 2010, after Chilly got his extension late in 2009 for that seasons' results which were based on players, not what the coach was doing for them. In 2010 it was painfully clear and this feels much the same now. I know there are a lot of believers in Zimmer, but this team is about as clueless about offense and in game adjustments as this Chilly regime was. They don't know how to run balanced offense or how to course correct during games. The lack of offensive minds has hurt for too many years. But now with no defense to keep them in it this ends up looking like Cleveland Browns typical losses.

Down 10-0 they choose to go for it on 4th and goal with really weak play choices. Took Mattison out (rarely would have with Cook). The game before they had another 4th and went for it, screwing it up. This game the old Zimmer would have taken the 3pts and the score would be 10-3. If you are going to go for it, they have to use tried and true scoring plays. Use Rudolphs height in the endzone or use the corner fades to Theilen or Jefferson. A Cousins roll out to the corner with Thielen in corner and Rudolph standing high in middle as targets gets it done more times then not. But what was the playcalls this series? Shake my head. Taking Mattison out was foolish. Leave him and the fullback in, let the D really believe run again. Why the sub...these coaches are just terrible.

I don't know how they could make Mattison look horrible this week. Was it just the Falcons D, or did the Vikings try to change everything because Cook was out? They are both so capable but this was a different attitude today. I know they fell behind. But with Cook around they never would have backed off so early regardless.

Zimmer's got no control over this team. The defense certainly isn't up to Vikings standards. Like Chilly in 2010, it feels like Zimmer has got to go right after signing an extension.

I agree 4 to 6 wins. Just enough games where everything happens to click to hurt themselves for the next draft. I don't see them winning 8 games which is a typical down season. Too much would have to change now.

I dont blame the defense on Zimmer because of how young and banged up it is. Now the constant waste of draft picks on crappy CBs I do blame on Zimmer and Spielman. Just a reminder of all the early draft picks we have used on DBs over the last few years since 2015.

Trae Waynes: 1st round pick
Mackensie Alexander: 2nd round pick
Mike Hughes: 1st round pick
Jeff Gladney: 1st round pick
Cameron Dantzier: 3rd round pick

The oldest guy in that group right now is Trae Waynes at just 28 years old. You would think with all of those picks used in recent drafts, we would have a pretty beastly secondary, especially considering the fact we have one of the best safety duos and one of the best safeties overall in the game. And lets be real the 2 rookie DBs in that group have looked horrible, even for being rookies.

Its the constant handcuffing of the offense that is extremely annoying. We get some innovated OCs that come in and for some reason we continue to have the blandest offense possible and Zimmer isnt afraid to vocalize how he doesnt want an aggressive offense. I mean when was the last time an offensive coordinator resigned midway through a season like we saw Norm do here?

Zimmer to me is an elite defensive coordinator, but he isn't a head coach.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:35 am

Saw this the other day and this is how ive felt for quite some time now.

As elite as they come defensively because of Zim. I mean it felt like we saw an overnight difference in our difference the second he showed up here. But his overall philosophy I think isn't conducive to being a good head coach. It has too much of a negative effect on the offense.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#38 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:41 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I dont blame the defense on Zimmer because of how young and banged up it is. Now the constant waste of draft picks on crappy CBs I do blame on Zimmer and Spielman. Just a reminder of all the early draft picks we have used on DBs over the last few years since 2015.

Trae Waynes: 1st round pick
Mackensie Alexander: 2nd round pick
Mike Hughes: 1st round pick
Jeff Gladney: 1st round pick
Cameron Dantzier: 3rd round pick

The oldest guy in that group right now is Trae Waynes at just 28 years old. You would think with all of those picks used in recent drafts, we would have a pretty beastly secondary, especially considering the fact we have one of the best safety duos and one of the best safeties overall in the game. And lets be real the 2 rookie DBs in that group have looked horrible, even for being rookies.

Its the constant handcuffing of the offense that is extremely annoying. We get some innovated OCs that come in and for some reason we continue to have the blandest offense possible and Zimmer isnt afraid to vocalize how he doesnt want an aggressive offense. I mean when was the last time an offensive coordinator resigned midway through a season like we saw Norm do here?

Zimmer to me is an elite defensive coordinator, but he isn't a head coach.

Agree on most there. But I'm sorry to have to disagree about him still being an elite D mind at this point. That used to be the case, a good to great Def Coord faking it as HC. No longer. The last few years his defenses have struggled or completely collapsed in games out of the blue they had no business losing. His corners have completely withered as you said with his hand picked early choices. Corners used to be his specialty. Remember it was only a few years back his corners revolted on him during the season when he started making loopy requests of them during games. Beyond the corners, was it Barr's second season(?), not sure, where he started using Barr almost exclusively in drop back coverage. I think these were signs he didn't have great vision of who his players were on D anymore.

Can't blame him for losses of Hunter and Barr and all the others, no. But it was already falling apart defensively before this season. Offensively this team has been a trainwreck every other week for years. You're right, never was a head coach. Offensively he's been a Rick S. stooge regarding offense since he got the job.

What pains me about it is watching an old Head Coach like Andy Reid, with one of the oldest passing offensives and most modern QB and success of the day now lighting up scoreboards. Yet in a game tonight his offense ran the ball 48 times against a very good Buffalo team. The chiefs are a flexible team because their coach somehow is. The guy known for passing, his team rushing it like mad because it fit the opponents weakness. They targeted it. This is an older HC coaching from experience as a head coach. When younger he was more strict to his style games. Zimmer is an older HC now having never had the experience. He doesn't have 10 years later to earn that experience as a HC. It's too bad. But I've never been that high on him like others have or wanted so much to.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Saw this the other day and this is how ive felt for quite some time now.

As elite as they come defensively because of Zim. I mean it felt like we saw an overnight difference in our difference the second he showed up here. But his overall philosophy I think isn't conducive to being a good head coach. It has too much of a negative effect on the offense.

The only problem I have with the video is a guy saying...now...that he might be starting to think Zimmer is the problem. Just now. A few years late really.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:16 pm

Gotta love this front office. We trade a 2nd round pick and a conditional 5th for Yannick Ngakoue. 6 games later we trade him away for a 3rd round pick from one of the best teams in the league (so it will be very late 3rd) and a conditional 5th round pick in 2022. Ya we didnt get bent over the barrel on that one...

Its like the time we used a 5th round pick on Daniel Carlson, then cut him 2 games into the season and he's been just dandy with the Raiders since (83%, exactly the same as Bailey in that same time span). That was a great waste of a 5th round pick.

This time around we basically just traded an early 2nd round pick for a late 3rd. Beautiful! I also see Hunter is officially out for the year as well.

Return to Minnesota Vikings