ImageImageImage

With the AD pick...what about MEMo?

Moderator: Worm Guts

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

With the AD pick...what about MEMo? 

Post#1 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:44 pm

I have wondered this for a while.

Detroit brought in Bell for the possibility of him as a WR. Why do we not try MeMo as a WR? he can catch, he wont get RB reps, he is too tiny to take the pounding of the Rb, but he is a playmaker at WR.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:48 pm

He's a great punt returner, so we can keep him in that role. I don't think it will happen, but Moore would probably be a better receiver than half the guys we got. He's one of the few playmakers we have on the team, it would benefit us to get him on the field.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#3 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:52 pm

besides the intell of Childress, what are the negatives with putting MeMo at say a slot receiver spot? Good hands, has always been good in the passing game as a RB.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm

The biggest negative is that Memo would be learning a brand new position and that's rare at this point of a players career. I'm not sure there is any kind of successful precedent.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:07 pm

With his college stats as receiving, and how he is able to playmake as a receiver now. I dont think there would be much of a transistion. The WCO (our kickass version) uses lil routes with the idea that the WR can make a play after the catch...sounds at least like something we should try.

Wish xbox360 madden didnt suck. I wanna play it bad
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#6 » by horaceworthy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:36 am

Running routes out of the backfield and running routes as a WR, slot or otherwise, are two completely different things. I'd like to see the Vikes at least try it, but it's much easier to get open in the flat or on a screen than it is to try and create separation from a CB, and MeMo doesn't exactly have ideal height for the position. Most of the WR's who succeed at his size are burners (Santana Moss, Steve Smith, etc.), and MeMo's more shifty than he is fast.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by revprodeji » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:09 pm

I dunno why, but MeMo might have a higher Football IQ than Troy williamson, and we are teaching him routes.

Im teaching my 8yr old brother routes. Im sure we could teach MeMo
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#8 » by horaceworthy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:46 pm

It isn't just running the right route, it's beating jams and getting off the LOS clean, accelerating in and out of cuts, being able to create separation, making catches in traffic, etc. RB's don't have to do a lot of that coming out of the backfield. I like MeMo, but his lack of size and straight ahead speed don't project favorably to the WR position. His strengths lie more in his ability to read his blockers, make tacklers miss and running with good pad level and balance. As I said earlier, I'd like to see the Vikes try it, because I like Mewelde, but he'd have a pretty big adjustment to make.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''

Return to Minnesota Vikings