ImageImageImageImage

Will the MLB draft stackup??

GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,980

Will the MLB draft stackup?? 

Post#1 » by GregB » Mon May 7, 2007 6:58 pm

I know some of you on here know a lot about prospects. I was just wondering if you think MLB can make their draft popular like the NFL and NBA do?? They would seem to have an uphill road since a lot of the players drafted wont be in the majors for at least 2-3 years.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon May 7, 2007 7:50 pm

With more and more fans starting to take an interest in their respective teams
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 8, 2007 3:46 am

I wish. But, excepting amazing players like Ryan Zimmerman and some college closers, draft picks don't even sniff the majors for a couple years. In football and basketball you can see the product instantly.

I think they're going to air the first day on one of the ESPN channels this year, but I don't even think it'll be live, so who cares?

I would like to see what exactly goes on during the draft. I know it's just a conference call thing where every team is hooked up and they go through picks in rapid fire succession.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
HeelSox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#4 » by HeelSox » Tue May 8, 2007 3:59 am

Maybe this will lead to more coverage of college baseball :)
"The guy is an idiot," Pedroia said regarding Cabrera. "I dropped my bat. It kind of freaked me out. I was upset they took him out of the game. He is good to hit. He's 9-15. The guy [stinks]."
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Chach » Tue May 8, 2007 8:34 pm

If they expand the time to make your picks to like 3-5 minutes and have a few guys like Callis or Manuel there to tells us about the guys a la Mel Kiper, then I'm on board. You throw out Kruk or Phillips and NO ONE will watch it. It will never be as popular as the NFL or even the NBA but they can carve out a niche if they play things right. mahalo
~Chach~
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#6 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed May 9, 2007 12:34 pm

Imagine John Sickels and Krukie getting into a row over a 19th-round selection? Oh, man.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
happykooner
Senior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by happykooner » Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 pm

How many first-round picks do the Sox have and how may can we have?

You also dont hear teams trading picks for other players in a trade
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#8 » by Bleeding Green » Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 am

0. And you can have as many as 17 if you have 16 Type-A free agents leave to the best 16 teams in the majors.

This is very unlikely and it is incredibly rare for a team to have more than 3.

You can't trade picks.

The Red Sox have their first pick at 55 overall.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Red Sox