ImageImageImageImage

Wk-3: Pats vs Texans, 8:25PM, 09-22-16 -- Brady-Out; Garoppolo-Doubtful; Brissett-Start, Edelman-Backup

Moderator: Parliament10

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Wk-3: Pats vs Texans, 8:25PM, 09-22-16 -- Brady-Out; Garoppolo-Doubtful; Brissett-Start, Edelman-Backup 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Jimmy Garoppolo reportedly could miss up to six weeks with shoulder injury
by Will Brinson | Sept 19, 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jimmy-garoppolo-reportedly-could-miss-up-to-six-weeks-with-shoulder-injury/
Everything was going quite well for the New England Patriots on Sunday, with backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo dealing, throwing a trio of early touchdowns against the Dolphins. The Pats looked a team with some real depth at the position.

And then Garoppolo went down with a shoulder injury. And now it could cost him as much as six weeks.

Meet the Patriots' Jacoby Brissett, who's starting for the injured Jimmy Garoppolo
by Will Brinson | Sept 19, 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/meet-the-patriots-jacoby-brissett-whos-starting-for-the-injured-jimmy-garoppolo/
Brissett got seven total possessions during the Dolphins-Patriots game Sunday, including a final one where he took a knee on the first play. So in six "real" possessions, Brissett totaled nine passing attempts and six completions, for 92 yards.

To say the Patriots will be conservative with him when he plays is to say the Patriots will be secretive with their injury report. It's going to happen.
There is going to be a heavy dose of LeGarrette Blount while Brissett is under center. Doing it any other way would be foolish. The longest play of of the day for Brissett was a 38-yard completion to Martellus Bennett, a well-designed play-action pass that had Bennett crossing underneath after the Pats got everyone on Miami's defense to flow to the right side of their line.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Murta
Sixth Man
And1: 1,823

Re: OT: No Brady; Garoppolo out 6wks; 3rd QB Brissett, to fill-in 

Post#2 » by Murta » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Latest reports about Jimmy G were much more positive, going as far as to say he's going to be a backup vs Houston. Even if he wasn't able to be active against HOU, I wouldn't sign a vet QB unless he was also ruled out against Bills because there's enough time for him to heal. IMHO Edelman knows the offense much more than any other player Pats could sign.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: OT: No Brady; Garoppolo out 6wks; 3rd QB Brissett, to fill-in 

Post#3 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Murta wrote:Latest reports about Jimmy G were much more positive, going as far as to say he's going to be a backup vs Houston. Even if he wasn't able to be active against HOU, I wouldn't sign a vet QB unless he was also ruled out against Bills because there's enough time for him to heal. IMHO Edelman knows the offense much more than any other player Pats could sign.

With Jacoby Brissett on the field, the Patriots backup quarterback was… Julian Edelman?

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2016/09/18/with-jacoby-brissett-on-the-field-the-patriots-backup-quarterback-was-julian-edelman
ESPN’s Mike Reiss reported that Edelman was in the role of quarterback, with his wide receiver gloves off, while warming up with Brissett on the sidelines before the second half. According to Reiss, the Patriots are one of just four teams that started the the season without a third quarterback on their practice squad.

Edelman starred at quarterback for three years at Kent State, and was the team’s leading passer and rusher during his senior year. He finished his college career just shy of 5,000 passing yards.

Has his arm strength held up since switching positions? We’ll let his 51-yard trick-play touchdown pass to Danny Amendola in the 2015 playoffs answer that.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Re: OT: No Brady; Garoppolo out 6wks; 3rd QB Brissett, to fill-in 2.5wks 

Post#4 » by OFWGKTA » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Tbh I really wanna see a game with Edelman at QB
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#5 » by SMTBSI » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:58 am

OFWGKTA wrote:Tbh I really wanna see a game with Edelman at QB

I have such mixed emotions about it. I know that if it happens then things have probably gone completely off the rails. But man, it would be interesting/entertaining (especially if we won).
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#6 » by Green89 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:19 am

Thursday is most likely going to be a loss, especially with Brissett out there. Hopefully, Jimmy is back for the Bills. I doubt we're signing a vet, unless it happens today.
Murta
Sixth Man
And1: 1,823

Post#7 » by Murta » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Patriots have done extensive preparation over the past few days to get WR Julian Edelman ready as the backup QB. It may actually happen

:wink:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Brady Out; Garoppolo Poss; Brissett to Start, Edelman as Backup 

Post#8 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 am

Patriots prepping Edelman for backup quarterback role
By Kevin Patra | Around the NFL writer | Sept. 21, 2016

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000706840/article/patriots-prepping-edelman-for-backup-quarterback-role
Jacoby Brissett is poised to start versus the Houston Texans on Thursday night after Jimmy Garoppolo suffered a sprained AC joint in Week 2.

Edelman famously played quarterback at Kent State before the Patriots snagged him in the seventh round in 2009 and turned the 5-foot-10 player into one of the most efficient wide receivers in the NFL. In three college seasons as a quarterback, Edelman completed 54.5 percent of his passes for 4,997 yards, 7.1 yards-per-attempt, 30 touchdowns and 31 interceptions.

Edelman threw a 51-yard touchdown pass in the Patriots' 2014 playoff win over the Baltimore Ravens. Suspended quarterback Tom Brady jokingly noted this week that Edelman is "batting 1.000" as an NFL passer.

With Garoppolo listed as limited in practice on Tuesday, there's a chance he's healthy enough to dress as the backup to Brissett.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Wk-3: Pats vs Texans, 8:25PM, 09-22-16 -- Brady-Out; Garoppolo-Doubtful; Brissett-Start, Edelman-Backup 

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54 am

Brissett, not too bad.
Mitchell, Blount & Edelman (as WR), helping out.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Re: Wk-3: Pats vs Texans, 8:25PM, 09-22-16 -- Brady-Out; Garoppolo-Doubtful; Brissett-Start, Edelman-Backup 

Post#11 » by ash_k » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Blount has looked much smaller!..maybe my TVs are betraying me.
Just a remark!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.

Return to New England Patriots