ImageImageImageImage

Jamie Collins trade

Moderator: Parliament10

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Jamie Collins trade 

Post#1 » by sam_I_am » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:26 pm

Curious to see what fellow Patriots fans here think of this trade. On one hand, it makes no sense when you could let him walk at end of year and get a 2018 3rd rounder anyway.

However, despite his reputation and despite his awesome play last year, it was noticible how bad a year he was having. I don't think the trade hurts them this year (unless injuries thin out linebackers) because he hasn't played well at all this year.

The team definitely misses Chandler Jones but Joe Thuney/Malcolm Mitchell/Cooper (waived) was a good haul if they were going to lose him anyway. However, Collins - for all of his tantalizing talent - has never been a reliable player and this year other than a couple of gifted interceptions I can't recall him making a single big play all season. They get nothing by waiving him, but the Pats obviously think the team is better off without him.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Re: OT: Jamie Collins trade 

Post#2 » by jfs1000d » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:27 pm

I think he was more of a headache. Weird, but bill belichick gets a lot of leeway.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#3 » by sam_I_am » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:28 pm

jfs1000d wrote:I think he was more of a headache. Weird, but bill belichick gets a lot of leeway.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Would be like trading Rondo in 2013.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#4 » by GregB » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:34 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Curious to see what fellow Patriots fans here think of this trade. On one hand, it makes no sense when you could let him walk at end of year and get a 2018 3rd rounder anyway.

However, despite his reputation and despite his awesome play last year, it was noticible how bad a year he was having. I don't think the trade hurts them this year (unless injuries thin out linebackers) because he hasn't played well at all this year.

The team definitely misses Chandler Jones but Joe Thuney/Malcolm Mitchell/Cooper (waived) was a good haul if they were going to lose him anyway. However, Collins - for all of his tantalizing talent - has never been a reliable player and this year other than a couple of gifted interceptions I can't recall him making a single big play all season. They get nothing by waiving him, but the Pats obviously think the team is better off without him.

Their isn't a guarantee we would have gotten a compensatory pick. You have to sign less people than players that leave in FA. The trade allows us to guarantee a pick without having to try to manipulate the system to guarantee a pick.

Collins play had suddenly dropped off. He was in for only 60 percent of the snaps last week and he had been freelancing more and more. Add that to the report he wanted Von Miller money and that is a recipe for a trade.

Overall, it was still pretty shocking. I hadn't really been playing close attention to his play this year. But it make sense, Hightower better stay healthy though. It looks like he is the one we plan on paying.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#5 » by Froob » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:34 pm

It made sense, Bill was fed up with him freelancing and he was losing more snaps every game.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#6 » by Green89 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:57 pm

I think it's odd, but we're not in the locker room every day. Could have been other issues at play here.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#7 » by cl2117 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:13 pm

I don't think this happens if they weren't really impressed with Elandon Roberts, which I think is why they thought they could make the trade now and not hurt their chances at a championship.

On the other side of things, while this makes me uncomfortable because I thought Collins was one of the guys they were thinking about when we moved Chandler Jones to free up money for extensions, you just have to trust in Bill. The same people that will question this move are going to be the people who ask how the Patriots manage to stay so good year in and year out. It's by being consistent both on the field and in the front office. This is the M.O. and they stick to it and see results. I'm trusting the process.

The one thing that does stand out to me is that Mingo netted the Browns a 5th round pick, I would have thought the gap between Collins and him was much larger than that between a 3rd and a 5th rounder, but I guess if he was looking for "Von Miller" money that's gonna be baked into the price.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#8 » by rickrolled » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:26 pm

Very dissapointed. And that Lombardi character should keep his mouth closed, why is he trying to justify this deal ?
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:30 pm

when I read it I took my glasses off my face and threw them on my desk. I was saving that move for when I read (OT warning, trigger warning etc.) "TRUMP ELECTED PRESIDENT" so that tells you how I feel about it.

I know we don't know a lot of what goes on, but we're going to have to trust that the staff did everything they possibly could to get Collins to play the way they wanted, because he's one heck of an athlete to cast off like that. Brady included him in his postgame photoshop tweet just like three weeks ago (after the Bengals game?), so if he'd become a pariah in the lockerroom it must've been pretty recently?

Ughggh.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#10 » by Froob » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:32 pm

rickrolled wrote:Very dissapointed. And that Lombardi character should keep his mouth closed, why is he trying to justify this deal ?

Lombardi has been critical of the defense all season, go listen to the BS podcast past couple of weeks. I remember him weeks ago saying he told Jamie that the defense was as good as he wanted it to be. Lombardi is $.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,936

Post#11 » by Ben-N1ce » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:33 pm

They did not receive adequate compensation. They could have kept him and got the same return so I see zero upside to the move. At minimal you have pro bowl depth even if his snap count is lower.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#12 » by Froob » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:39 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:They did not receive adequate compensation. They could have kept him and got the same return so I see zero upside to the move. At minimal you have pro bowl depth even if his snap count is lower.

Nah that's not true. Compensatory picks aren't guaranteed. Sounds like they were tired of his attitude. I was pissed when it was announced but after hearing he got into arguments with Bill and Partricia during the game I'm not that upset. He wasn't having a great season anyways. Sends quite the message to the rest of the team that free lancing will not be tolerated.

RIP The_Hater
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#13 » by ParticleMan » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:49 pm

wtf happened to that guy? he was supposed to be the next lawrence taylor. did he just get too full of himself?

seems crazy on the outside but bill is never one to hesitate to send a message. see milloy, lawyer.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#14 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Nov 1, 2016 5:20 pm

He wanted too much money. End of story.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#15 » by truth18 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 5:38 pm

Lame that we sent him to the Browns of all places.
YOU LOSE
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#16 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Nov 1, 2016 6:18 pm

truth18 wrote:Lame that we sent him to the Browns of all places.

It means the Patriots will never see him again in the postseason.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#17 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Nov 1, 2016 6:47 pm

Unless he was a huge issue in the locker room this makes zero sense. They could have let him walk and whatever team he signed for in the off-season would have had to give up a comp pick equivalent to what the browns gave the pats.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Geech
Junior
And1: 104

Post#18 » by Geech » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:10 pm

The Brown's 3rd rounder is also one pick after the 2nd round vs. the last pick before the the 4th round.
He seemed to have a great 1st 3 games and then not so much the 5 games after.
Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#19 » by Vee-Rex » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:32 pm

Love the move for the Browns. We got plenty of cap space so we can sign him to whatever he wants. If he refuses then we get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him anyway.

Not to mention we have a ton of draft picks:

2 first rounders (Browns/Eagles)
2 second rounders (Browns/Titans)
1 third rounder
3 fourth rounders
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#20 » by cl2117 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 8:46 pm

truth18 wrote:Lame that we sent him to the Browns of all places.

They asked Ryan Clarke about the trade from a player's perspective on Sportscenter and he said "I just can't imagine having to go home to my girl and be like 'Baby, we movin to Cleveland'".

Must suck. He's gonna get enough money from them if he sticks around though to buy houses in a lot of places, so don't feel too bad for the man.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.

Return to New England Patriots