ImageImageImageImage

What should we do with our two 1st round picks?

Moderator: Parliament10

What should we do with our two 1st round picks?

Total votes: 0

Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#21 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Judging by how a lot of scouts think of him, I'm not too sure I'd be excited to land Ginn.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Post#22 » by DJToLarry » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Judging by how a lot of scouts think of him, I'm not too sure I'd be excited to land Ginn.

He does sound a lot like Bethel Johnson II. World class speed, questionable toughness, and one-dimensional route runner (no going over the middle for this guy). I do feel he will be better than Johnson, just won't ever be a #1 WR type guy. A lot will depend on the team that drafts him. If they expect too much they will be disappointed. He just isn't a good enough route runner right now. And his slight build concerns me. All that being said, he is a game breaker in the mold of Hester when it comes to returns and has to be accounted for at all times when on offense. I wouldn't take him above 20, but after that I may gamble. Especially if I am a better team where Ginn is more of a luxury.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#23 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:I think this draft is deep enough that the Pats could find definite year 2 starters at key positions if they stick with their two first-round picks. Dropping back would be a riskier proposition, especially given the team's multiple immediate needs.

I don't know,

If we can't get either Merriweather or Revis- I would love to trade down,

we could drop to the second round a pick a guy like Charles Johnson- who i think will come in and make an immediate impact (watch this kid's tape, he just punishes offensive lineman). other guys in the second round

weddle, maybe nelson, McCauley, Jarvis Moss and Arron Sears...

i think this a deep draft, and if there isn't a guy at either 24 or 28 that the patriots are enamored with, i would drop down a few spots
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#24 » by Chach » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:52 pm

When you talk about trading down, how far are we talking about? If there is a team at the end of the first round who's willing to give up a second rounder or a high third rounder for the 24th pick, I'd certainly be up for it because you can still find a quality, starter caliber player at 32. But if we're talking about dropping out of the first round completely or picking up a future first, ehhh, that's when I start to balk at moving down. mahalo
~Chach~
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#25 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 pm

DJToLarry wrote:He does sound a lot like Bethel Johnson II. World class speed, questionable toughness, and one-dimensional route runner (no going over the middle for this guy). I do feel he will be better than Johnson, just won't ever be a #1 WR type guy. A lot will depend on the team that drafts him. If they expect too much they will be disappointed. He just isn't a good enough route runner right now. And his slight build concerns me. All that being said, he is a game breaker in the mold of Hester when it comes to returns and has to be accounted for at all times when on offense. I wouldn't take him above 20, but after that I may gamble. Especially if I am a better team where Ginn is more of a luxury.

I thought the same thing regarding Ginn: Bethel Lite. Sure, he
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#26 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Not a big fan of Rice at all. If Bowe was some how there I'd like to see him in NWE. If not and we are taking a WR for some reason I think Steve Smith would be the guy. He's one of those guys that just get open.

Still I think the perfect player for the Pats is Michael Griffin the safety out of Texas. I just think he would fit in greatly with the team.

I think they move out of the first round with their second pick, but if they stay a guy like David Harris has to be an option. I've also heard a lot about Brian Leonard, but I don't think he's worthy of a first round pick.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#27 » by wetsthebed » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:I
maseda17
Senior
And1: 1

Post#28 » by maseda17 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:53 am

The ideal scenario is to trade one for an 08 1st rounder but supposedly no one has any interest in doing such a deal or even moving up into the first round from the 2nd round. Keep the picks and I'd love to see Merriweather be one of the selections. BB loves a ballhawking, physical safety. I believe Ed Reed is arguably his favorite player in the league.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Chach » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:48 am

How is that the ideal scenario though? It's acceptable if there really is no one to draft but, from a lot of accounts, this is a deep draft and the team is in desparate need for young starting talent so a first rounder this year is about as valuable as next year. Now if there is no one really available this year, sure we can trade out of the first round but I just don't see that happening or that being ideal. mahalo
~Chach~
maseda17
Senior

Post#30 » by maseda17 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:06 pm

Chach wrote:How is that the ideal scenario though? It's acceptable if there really is no one to draft but, from a lot of accounts, this is a deep draft and the team is in desparate need for young starting talent so a first rounder this year is about as valuable as next year. Now if there is no one really available this year, sure we can trade out of the first round but I just don't see that happening or that being ideal. mahalo
~Chach~

Your wrong if you think this is a deep draft. The claim is after about pick 10-12 the talent is very similar and interchangeable for about the next 20-30 picks. Your telling me if a Marshawn Lynch were to fall to #24 it wouldn't be wise to trade the pick to Buffalo for like a 4th rounder in 07 and their 1st rounder in 08? Of course it would as Buffalo will be picking in the top 10-15 next year.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Chach » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:53 pm

That's sort of what I consider a deep draft. The elite talent drops off around 10ish and then you have 30 more guys worth drafting. Would I do the trade you proposed? Absolutely not, that's an absolute lateral move. Now, if Buffalo offers up a second or a third with next year's first, yeah I might do that deal (although I'm not as sure they will be a top 10 as you seem to think) but that's what I've said all along. If you can get a good deal out of a team then you make the deal but I just don't see how it is ideal to move out of the first round this year. A team with a late first/early second round pick THIS year who wants Lynch would be a much more ideal trade for me. mahalo
~Chach~
maseda17
Senior

Post#32 » by maseda17 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 pm

Now, if Buffalo offers up a second or a third with next year's first, yeah I might do that deal (although I'm not as sure they will be a top 10 as you seem to think) but that's what I've said all along. If you can get a good deal out of a team then you make the deal but I just don't see how it is ideal to move out of the first round this year.

I'm shocked you are even saying that. What would you think of Cleveland's 08 #1 and their 3rd rounder #67 for #24.
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by DJToLarry » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 pm

DJToLarry wrote:If they do indeed stay at the 24th slot I would like to see them take Jon Beason. And at the 28th slot pick up Brandon Merriweather. That would be ideal. I don't think their will be a corner of 1st round value when they pick (not a fan of Ross or Houston).

All they need to do now is grab Beason and my prediction will be made true.
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by DJToLarry » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:02 pm

DJToLarry wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

All they need to do now is grab Beason and my prediction will be made true.

thanks Panthers :(

Return to New England Patriots