Chris Duarte trade

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grangerous
Junior
And1: 4

Chris Duarte trade 

Post#1 » by Grangerous » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:40 am

Still waiting for this to be final, but Duarte is on his way to Sacramento via trade. Some momentum is still picking up of Pacers trading for Obi Toppin. Maybe an extension of the Duarte deal to include the knicks as a 3rd team??
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,581

Re: Chris Duarte trade 

Post#2 » by jowglenn » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:57 am

Unclear still what the “draft compensation” is. One 2nd? 2 2nds? Which 2nds? SAC’s own, or the POR 2025 2nd that they have? I want to know
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 450

Post#3 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:24 am

Grangerous wrote:Still waiting for this to be final, but Duarte is on his way to Sacramento via trade. Some momentum is still picking up of Pacers trading for Obi Toppin. Maybe an extension of the Duarte deal to include the knicks as a 3rd team??

Where’s the rumor about Toppin coming from? That would be interesting.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 224

Post#4 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:27 am

Grang33r wrote:
Grangerous wrote:Still waiting for this to be final, but Duarte is on his way to Sacramento via trade. Some momentum is still picking up of Pacers trading for Obi Toppin. Maybe an extension of the Duarte deal to include the knicks as a 3rd team??

Where’s the rumor about Toppin coming from? That would be interesting.

Apparently Mark Stein? https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/06/pre-fa-updates-toppin-cavs-niang-strus-draymond-warriors-more.html
granger05
Sixth Man
And1: 504

Post#5 » by granger05 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:54 pm

I'm hopeful that the reason it's taking so long is that we're getting a heavily protected future first and SAC is currently negotiating with ATL on the pick they owe from the Huerter deal to ensure that goes out in 2024 and then they can send a pick to us and get their encumbrances out of the way. But, more likely the deal just requires some conditions around a new league year and so it isn't officially "final" yet so hasn't been completely announced. Still, I'm pulling for that first rounder idea.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#6 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:48 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Apparently Mark Stein?

Over the past few days, there are a handful of players that Stein has had going to a half-dozen teams each. I guess he figures if he makes enough projections, he is bound to hit on at least one or two.
Tom White
Starter

Post#7 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:50 pm

granger05 wrote:But, more likely the deal just requires some conditions around a new league year and so it isn't officially "final" yet so hasn't been completely announced. Still, I'm pulling for that first rounder idea.

Or maybe they are putting him through a whole barrage of physicals? He has missed a bunch of games after all.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#8 » by Pacersike » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:27 am

Victim of our managements inability to acquire a balanced roster, because I believe he deserved another year or two to get better.
Assistant Coach
And1: 608

Post#9 » by 8305 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:40 pm

Duarte didn’t last as long as TJ Leaf. When drafting in the lottery taking a short term fix is drafting mal-practice. This one should be more than a little embarrassing for KP. And staff.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#10 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:04 pm

8305 wrote:Duarte didn’t last as long as TJ Leaf. When drafting in the lottery taking a short term fix is drafting mal-practice. This one should be more than a little embarrassing for KP. And staff.
It's not good but tbf he was drafted for a completely different team than what we have now and, outside of Murphy, we didn't really miss anyone after him.

The rest of the guys between he and Jackson were Moody, Kispert, Sengun, Murphy, Mann, Kai Jones, Jalen Johnson, and Keon Johnson. Sengun would've been Goga again with the roster at the time. The rest are pretty meh.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Assistant Coach
And1: 608

Post#11 » by 8305 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:27 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
8305 wrote:Duarte didn’t last as long as TJ Leaf. When drafting in the lottery taking a short term fix is drafting mal-practice. This one should be more than a little embarrassing for KP. And staff.
It's not good but tbf he was drafted for a completely different team than what we have now and, outside of Murphy, we didn't really miss anyone after him.

The rest of the guys between he and Jackson were Moody, Kispert, Sengun, Murphy, Mann, Kai Jones, Jalen Johnson, and Keon Johnson. Sengun would've been Goga again with the roster at the time. The rest are pretty meh.

Different team but that group needed a legit forward and had a bunch of small wing types too. Not as egregious as passing on OG, Kuzma and Collins but unfortunately another example of inept use of the draft.
Pacers Forever
Veteran
And1: 830

Post#12 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:20 pm

Another angle to look at is if Duarte doesn’t suffer all the injuries his first year and second year. He made second team rookie his first year even though he was shut down for injury.

If he had progressed his second year the Pacers might have gone a different direction than Mathurin to avoid roster duplication. Glad we got Mathurin as he seems to be stronger, more driven, and a more aggressive scorer that hopefully will improve his 3 ball this year and get his defense better.

I think in the right situation Duarte can be a useful long range spot up/catch and shoot type player. I think he will also hustle on defense and rebounding. He just got caught up in 2 rookies blowing up their first year here and the coaches decided Nembhard and Mathurin were the focus.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 8:28 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:

Another angle to look at is if Duarte doesn’t suffer all the injuries his first year and second year. He made second team rookie his first year even though he was shut down for injury.

If he had progressed his second year the Pacers might have gone a different direction than Mathurin to avoid roster duplication. Glad we got Mathurin as he seems to be stronger, more driven, and a more aggressive scorer that hopefully will improve his 3 ball this year and get his defense better.

I think in the right situation Duarte can be a useful long range spot up/catch and shoot type player. I think he will also hustle on defense and rebounding. He just got caught up in 2 rookies blowing up their first year here and the coaches decided Nembhard and Mathurin were the focus.

The team that Duarte was drafted to be a part of was systematically dismantled 6-7 months after the draft, injuries to keep players that year lead to the Sabonis trade, bringing in Hali and Buddy then the next draft brings Mathurin and Hembhard all players at Duarte's spots. Then they got Nesmith who did the same things as Duarte. As was said the injuries he had early in 2022-23 put him behind the 8 ball as the other guards just passed him up.

In hindsight the best thing that could have happened with the 2021 draft was to trade down, there were 2-3 teams wanting Duarte, the Wiz and Warriors especially wanted him. The only 2 players drafted after him that I think might have helped the Pacers were Jalen Johnson and Trey Murphy so to trade down and get some additional assets get one of those guys would have helped with the forward problem that exists today.

It's best for Duarte that he was traded and getting to go to the Kings and play with Sabonis will help him too. I believe that Sabonis will make him better in the same way he made everyone on the kings better this past season.

This is the only move of the off season that I approve of.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#14 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 3, 2023 5:22 am

8305 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Different team but that group needed a legit forward and had a bunch of small wing types too. Not as egregious as passing on OG, Kuzma and Collins but unfortunately another example of inept use of the draft.

Disagree. Duarte was the right pick at that time

No one could have predicted his injuries, or trading Sabonis for Haliburton, or Pacers ending up with the 6th pick in 2022, or that pick turning into Mathurin, or picking Nembhard at 31, or Nembhard being this good this fast

It took entire chains of events spanning more than a year to make Duarte redundant, but at the time he was the correct pick

Leaf, however, was obviously a questionable pick from the outset

Not comparable at all
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Tom White
Starter

Post#16 » by Tom White » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:14 pm

I was wondering what was going on with this trade. Thanks.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:43 pm

Picks from the trade official:

2028 second round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 2028 2nd round pick to Indiana (via Sacramento) [Dallas-Sacramento, 6/24/2022; Indiana-Sacramento, 7/6/2023]

2030 second round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 2030 2nd round pick to Indiana [Indiana-Sacramento, 7/6/2023]

Return to Indiana Pacers