Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Veteran
And1: 829

TJ McConnell appreciation thread 

Post#1 » by Pacers Forever » Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g

Doesn’t surprise any of us one bit that this happened. He’s been having a huge impact this season.

Hard to believe now that he was pegged by Carlisle to step aside and let the youth movement get the minutes in Indy.

Didn’t feel right at the time and TJ took it personal in the quietest most professional way by letting his play, actions, and results necessitate his inclusion back into running the second team regularly.

This guy has stepped up big time in supposedly the twilight years of his career achieving starter’s stats in less minutes. I imagine he’s got more left in the tank than anyone knows. He’s become a coveted asset who I hope will retire as a Pacer and have many more productive seasons here.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 450

Re: TJ McConnell appreciation thread 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Tue May 21, 2024 12:31 am

Read on Twitter
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 450

Post#3 » by Grang33r » Tue May 21, 2024 12:33 am

Read on Twitter
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#4 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:22 am

Can you imagine that people said TJ was a bad contract last off season, people said he had no value. No team would need this guy. Now he's a great floor General and running rings around other teams guards.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 224

Post#5 » by JMaster5K » Tue May 21, 2024 7:58 am

The knock on TJ has always been that he's a small guard,... who doesn't have a 3 in his arsenal. He was generally successful anyway,...

https://sports.yahoo.com/t-j-mcconnell-lets-fly-050801461.html

Now he has the 3. :D He's worked so hard,... you just have to smile & be happy for him. He deserves the PT. He deserves the accolades. He's the kind of pro-athlete that want kids to look up to. So dam proud that he's a Pacer.

Hope he retires a Pacers,... after a long, productive, happy career.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 21, 2024 11:58 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g

Doesn’t surprise any of us one bit that this happened. He’s been having a huge impact this season.

Hard to believe now that he was pegged by Carlisle to step aside and let the youth movement get the minutes in Indy.

Didn’t feel right at the time and TJ took it personal in the quietest most professional way by letting his play, actions, and results necessitate his inclusion back into running the second team regularly.

This guy has stepped up big time in supposedly the twilight years of his career achieving starter’s stats in less minutes. I imagine he’s got more left in the tank than anyone knows. He’s become a coveted asset who I hope will retire as a Pacer and have many more productive seasons here.

To be fair, this was before Carlisle found that the team could play 3 PG’s together. Most can’t. So at that point, would it have made more sense to bench McConnell or bench Nembhard if you think you can only reasonably and reliably play 2?

But yes, with the midseason deals of Brown and Buddy without getting a major minutes guard in return, there created a lot more minutes for both TJ and Sheppard to emerge. It worked out splendidly.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#7 » by Wizop » Tue May 21, 2024 12:53 pm

I hope when his playing days are over the Pacers hire him as an assistant coach
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#8 » by Tom White » Tue May 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:To be fair, this was before Carlisle found that the team could play 3 PG’s together. Most can’t. So at that point, would it have made more sense to bench McConnell or bench Nembhard if you think you can only reasonably and reliably play 2?

In my mind there is no question. You play McConnell. They both can score and defend, but TJ does more to help the other players perform well than Nembhard does.

Plus, McConnell gets into the opponents' heads and drives them nutty.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:To be fair, this was before Carlisle found that the team could play 3 PG’s together. Most can’t. So at that point, would it have made more sense to bench McConnell or bench Nembhard if you think you can only reasonably and reliably play 2?

In my mind there is no question. You play McConnell. They both can score and defend, but TJ does more to help the other players perform well than Nembhard does.

So this would be a vote for, in general, ignoring young players, and just focusing on the vets, rather than development. That’s ok, but it’s important to remember that also, by and large on this forum, we hated that from this organization over the last decade.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 224

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Tue May 21, 2024 3:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

So this would be a vote for, in general, ignoring young players, and just focusing on the vets, rather than development. That’s ok, but it’s important to remember that also, by and large on this forum, we hated that from this organization over the last decade.

I wouldn't say we play vets instead of youngsters,... with the trades of both Brown and Hield,... It has opened up some minutes and interesting combinations?... Call it 'cross training' like the buzz word from corporate offices?... :lol: :D

In game 7,.. at one point Ty, Andrew, & Shep were all playing together,... then for ball handling/security (I'm guessing) in the last minute or so of the half,.. he substituted TJ in for our second big,... so we ended up with TJ, Ty, Andrew, Shep, & Pascal on the court together,... I was actually laughing. If you told me Coach would do that at the beginning of the year,... I would had myself committed,... LOL =] or at the very least, bet the under,... :o :lol:

Andrew's comfort playing off ball is visibly better,... Shep has improved his confidence ball handling & reading,... Ty was able to play off ball a bit & generate some offense without having to work so hard,... TJ, well, was just TJ,... puttin 2 feet in the paint & finding a shooter. :lol:
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#11 » by Wizop » Tue May 21, 2024 4:18 pm

JMaster5K wrote:I wouldn't say we play vets instead of youngsters

also, we shouldn't ignore that watching TJ play is a lesson for the younger players. you can see some of his moves being passed on,
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#12 » by Tom White » Tue May 21, 2024 5:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:\So this would be a vote for, in general, ignoring young players, and just focusing on the vets, rather than development.

No, not at all. That would simply be my vote in this particular case. No need to read what was not written.
Hoop Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,751

Post#13 » by Hoop Hunter » Tue May 21, 2024 6:40 pm

The inbounds steal should permanently be named "The McConnell".

I'd be happy if he's the Pacer backup PG till he retires. Then become a assistant coach.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 21, 2024 6:48 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:\So this would be a vote for, in general, ignoring young players, and just focusing on the vets, rather than development.

No, not at all. That would simply be my vote in this particular case. No need to read what was not written.

Was it not? I would not say that McConnell is better overall than Nembhard now, nor at the beginning of the year. Wouldn’t this have been a case of benching the rookie to play the vet, rather than giving the relatively equal young guy limited to develop early in the year when they’re less dire?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 21, 2024 6:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I wouldn't say we play vets instead of youngsters

also, we shouldn't ignore that watching TJ play is a lesson for the younger players. you can see some of his moves being passed on,

To an extent. At a certain point, watching doesn’t do anything more than playing does for development, and Nembhard had already watched every McConnell minute in games and practice for over a year.
Pacers Forever
Veteran
And1: 829

Post#16 » by Pacers Forever » Tue May 21, 2024 7:02 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I’m happy for the most part with the coaching minutes allocation this season. The team is made up of a lot of young talent so naturally some will have to play. Luckily Carlisle is not McMillan.

With the luxury of a deep roster he’s not brought injured players back too quickly which gave more minutes for development. Also when a player wasn’t executing he quickly pulled the player in favor of another player. Smith and Jackson come to mind as an example.

By circumstance this season Carlisle has played a mix of vets and young players which was a blessing to the quicker development of the young players. They’ve learned on the fly so to speak yet more relaxed than a thrown in the fire situation.

I feel Jackson, Smith, Mathurin, Sheppard, Nembhard, and even Toppin had great opportunities this season to contribute and experience playing alongside the more established players. Walker unfortunately not as much however I don’t feel like he was wronged.

Walker, Tshiebwe, Brown, Wong, and Q. Jackson appropriately needed more development time in the G league. Walker is the one player that must improve and kiss the G league farewell for next season. Brown should also strive to make the big club or move onto a different organization.

Return to Indiana Pacers