8.9: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,299

8.9: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 am

I think this whole article is totally on point. I was kind of undecided on how he did last season, but this season I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen.

Fans haven’t fully embraced Nate McMillan as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, but he deserves credit for the team’s progress.

It’s the All-Star break and the Indiana Pacers are already at 33 wins, which is more than most projected them to win this season. After spending most of last season being berated for not getting more out the team, this season the story is the exact opposite for Nate McMillan.

The Pacers never escaped the gravity of a .500 winning percentage last season, only getting as far away as a .560 win percentage after a seven-game winning streak. Right now they sit at 33-25, a slightly better .569 win percentage.

While being nearly one percent better in that regard might not seem like much, you have to go back to what was expected of this team. They were only expected to win around 32 games for the whole season. If they keep this up, that’s a 47 win season.

Ben Gibson

https://8points9seconds.com/2018/02/17/nate-mcmillan-indiana-pacers/
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 197

Re: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers 

Post#2 » by BooomBaby » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 am

Nate has done a great job with this team this season.

Glad I was wrong about him.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers 

Post#3 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 am

It helps to have a closer.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: 8.9: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers 

Post#4 » by Topofthekey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:53 am

I just wish Nate would have given more playing time to the young guys like Leaf, Joe Young, and Poythress and maybe Ike. I know that playing time is earned, but sometimes best way for them to improve is to have them play, let them face the pressure of losing, and have them learn and mature from that
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Re: 8.9: Nate McMillan doesn’t need your love and respect to coach the Indiana Pacers 

Post#5 » by AussiePacer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 am

He's done a great job this year, not sure he's doesn't get love and respect - like any head coach his performances and player management will always be critiqued.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#6 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm

I think this years team has more parts that fit together. And still has growth potential with the return of GR3. The hope is that he can be a great defensive player at the three. Last season the team had guys like Ellis and Cj Miles who's games are only offensive. So we struggled defending anyone until Lance got back. Oladipo is light years better than those guys. We also struggled rebounding the basketball. Which we can credit the improvement to Sabonis. It's risky trading superstars but in this case The trade helped improve the all around. As much as I appreciate the good years of basketball under Larry. He screwed up the team trying to emulate smaller and faster teams. So Pritchard had to rebuild a quality roster before we could fairly evaluate McMillan.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm

pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#8 » by pizza guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

If we hold onto our surprising season and especially if we end up as the 4-seed, Nate has GOT to get strong consideration for Coach of the Year. Just like Pritch should already have Exec of the Year wrapped up. This was supposed to be a dumpster-fire, tankathon, maybe 30-win team. The fact that we have a reasonable chance to hit 50 wins is simply amazing. And it's been a great team effort from Pritch to put it together, Nate to coach it so well, and obviously Oladipo and the rest outperforming expectations.

I was critical of Nate last season. I thought we had too much talent to be so mediocre. But as things unraveled around Paul, I softened my opinion on Nate and ended up feeling like he never truly had a chance. Once the trade was done and the roster was overhauled, I posted (on PD) that perhaps this season, Nate would have the opportunity to coach for a change, and he has definitely performed well.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

pizza guy wrote:Just like Pritch should already have Exec of the Year wrapped up.

I'm dubious. let's see how Cleveland's makeover goes and whether we climb or fall from here given our coming road games.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#10 » by pizza guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Wizop wrote:
pizza guy wrote:Just like Pritch should already have Exec of the Year wrapped up.

I'm dubious. let's see how Cleveland's makeover goes and whether we climb or fall from here given our coming road games.

Fair point. If they end up rallying back to the top, or seriously closing the gap anyways, and head into the playoffs hot, it'll be tough to argue with that. So far, they look good.
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#11 » by DoubleEagle4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 pm

The Pacers have proved that they are a solid team in tight games. I think that Coach McMillan's demeanor and confidence in his players really helps them thrive. We all question his subbing pattern at times but that's very easy to do after the fact. I trust him as a solid coach and see no reason to consider trying to find someone else.

Return to Indiana Pacers