Potential FA to pursue this offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Re: Potential FA to pursue this offseason 

Post#241 » by JermaineOYea » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm pretty lukewarm on Smart and Rozier

Can't believe just by your own eye test that you can't see those two guys are simply winning players. And why you wouldn't jump on either makes my brain want to eat itself.

Just can't see how they're not all over your radar.

LOL, no offense on your opinion, really just curious if I'm looking at the wrong things when watching the games. The dudes look like ballers out there, that are tough as nails and have an old-school swag to themselves on the court.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#242 » by Tom White » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 am

8305 wrote:Doesn't Kyrie expire next summer...

He might, if he keeps getting injured.
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#243 » by Yunsen » Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 am

I think Boston would trade Hayward if it meant they could keep Smart. Hayward would be interesting here but I think Boston would want too much.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#244 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 am

JermaineOYea wrote:Just can't see how they're not all over your radar.

It's not so much that they aren't all over my radar so to speak, but more that I am constantly reminded by myself that the players on that team somehow performs at 150% capacity, so buyers beware

Especially when that team can somehow make end of bench scrubs like Aron Baynes and Daniel Theiss look like actual productive role players
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#245 » by Tom White » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Yunsen wrote:I think Boston would trade Hayward if it meant they could keep Smart. Hayward would be interesting here but I think Boston would want too much.

I can't think of any reasoning that would lead Boston to trade Hayward. This was his first season with them and, due to the injury, they only got to see him for nine minutes! They would never get rid of him before even seeing his fit with the rest of the team. Too much invested.

Plus, he is a better player than Smart.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#246 » by 8305 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Going after Smart would not only mean adding a very good player but it also provides an opportunity to mess with the team we will be chasing for the next decade.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#247 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu May 17, 2018 3:42 pm

8305 wrote:Going after Smart would not only mean adding a very good player but it also provides an opportunity to mess with the team we will be chasing for the next decade.

While I agree with your premise.... We just need to focus on us. I believe when teams start trying to mess with certain other teams they end up taking on bad contracts. I think Bos keeps Smart and Rozier moves elsewhere. Smart seems to be ok with being in his current role. I think Rozier is going to want to go be a dude somehwere.
JermaineOYea
Senior
And1: 1,177

Post#248 » by JermaineOYea » Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 am

Topofthekey wrote:
JermaineOYea wrote:Just can't see how they're not all over your radar.

It's not so much that they aren't all over my radar so to speak, but more that I am constantly reminded by myself that the players on that team somehow performs at 150% capacity, so buyers beware

Especially when that team can somehow make end of bench scrubs like Aron Baynes and Daniel Theiss look like actual productive role players

Well said man, the guys actually do play at 150%. It cracked me up, but damn if it isn't true.

My counter to that though would be that our guys often play at 150% too. Look at all of our players this year that had career years in so many categories. And while yes, coaching is obviously a major major role in it (I might consider trading my first born for Brad Stevens if the opportunity ever arose), but our locker room - as of now - is the kind of unit that has a similar driving force. I mean, Trevor Booker immediately came in and played big for us, made a seemless transition... even after playing 60% of the season elsewhere.

I could see those guys thriving with us in a similar fashion as they have in Boston.
BAT 19.0
Milwaukee Bucks

C - W. Cauley-Stein/A. Len
F - P. Siakim/D. Bertans
F - TJ Warren/E. Turner
G - B. Ingram/L. Stephenson
G - K. Walker/DJ Augustin/Y. Ferrell
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#249 » by MUpacersSIC » Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Should the Pacers pursue Elfrid Payton now that he cut his hair and will likely shoot a much higher percentage? Don’t understand why the guy kept that thing on his head so long. Literally blocked one of his free throws.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#250 » by Tom White » Fri May 18, 2018 6:57 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:Should the Pacers pursue Elfrid Payton now that he cut his hair and will likely shoot a much higher percentage? Don’t understand why the guy kept that thing on his head so long. Literally blocked one of his free throws.

That's hilarious. Well done.

That was one odd hairstyle he had. Looked like he swiped it off a dust mop. On the other hand, he never needed a sun visor, and it kept the rain off his face.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#251 » by Wizop » Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Tom White wrote:That was one odd hairstyle he had. Looked like he swiped it off a dust mop. On the other hand, he never needed a sun visor, and it kept the rain off his face.

Slick once said on the radio that he was wearing a hat ... and meant it seriously.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#252 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Tom White wrote:
Yunsen wrote:I think Boston would trade Hayward if it meant they could keep Smart. Hayward would be interesting here but I think Boston would want too much.

I can't think of any reasoning that would lead Boston to trade Hayward. This was his first season with them and, due to the injury, they only got to see him for nine minutes! They would never get rid of him before even seeing his fit with the rest of the team. Too much invested.

Plus, he is a better player than Smart.

I can think of two. Their names are Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#253 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun May 20, 2018 1:51 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:Should the Pacers pursue Elfrid Payton now that he cut his hair and will likely shoot a much higher percentage? Don’t understand why the guy kept that thing on his head so long. Literally blocked one of his free throws.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I wouldn't. The experiment with him and Vic didn't work in Orlando. Theres no reason for Indy to try it again. I would rather go after Schroder.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#254 » by Tom White » Sun May 20, 2018 4:42 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:

Yes, they are both good players. But, I don't think it would be fair to EITHER Hayward OR Boston to cut ties with him until they have a real chance to see how it all fits together. Plus, they could always have another injury next season like what happened this year.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#255 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Yes, they are both good players. But, I don't think it would be fair to EITHER Hayward OR Boston to cut ties with him until they have a real chance to see how it all fits together. Plus, they could always have another injury next season like what happened this year.

Plus there is plenty of minutes to go around. They don't mind playing small. And they aren't in the tax.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#256 » by Tom White » Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Plus there is plenty of minutes to go around. They don't mind playing small. And they aren't in the tax.

I just remembered another reason Boston won't trade Hayward. Brad Stevens.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#257 » by Jake0890 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Ainge doesn’t give a **** what is “fair”. He’ll make whatever move he needs to make to make the team better. If there’s one guy to trade Hayward before he’s even played a full game for the Celtics, it’d be Ainge.

Was it fair to kick Isaiah Thomas to the curb after he played in the playoffs after his sister died? After he played through an injury for the team? And ruined his career as a result?

Ainge is a scumbag, despite how good he is at his job.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#258 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Ainge doesn’t give a **** what is “fair”. He’ll make whatever move he needs to make to make the team better. If there’s one guy to trade Hayward before he’s even played a full game for the Celtics, it’d be Ainge.

Was it fair to kick Isaiah Thomas to the curb after he played in the playoffs after his sister died? After he played through an injury for the team? And ruined his career as a result?

Ainge is a scumbag, despite how good he is at his job.

Scumbag may be strong.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#259 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 am

hearing Thad may walk. that opens cap for FA and S&T.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#260 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 am

Wizop wrote:hearing Thad may walk. that opens cap for FA and S&T.

Sent from my phone.

Idk if he'll walk. He could want a longer deal. I think the only way he walks is if KP doesn't want to give it to him, but the market will likely say that starting salary is less than his option, which would obviously be good for us. Maybe he wants to ring chase for the MLE somewhere, but I can't really see where. And frankly, if we can actually sign a decent free agent (which him helping to open up a few mil could be huge), we may be as much a contender as any non GS, Houston, Boston, and wherever Lebron signs.

Return to Indiana Pacers