Game Thread 1/20: Hornets vs. Pacers

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Game Thread 1/20: Hornets vs. Pacers 

Post#1 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Two teams playing the second night of back-to-backs hope to keep a good thing going when the Charlotte Hornets visit the Indiana Pacers on Sunday night in Indianapolis.

The Hornets took advantage of the only home dates they will play in an 11-game stretch when they swept Sacramento and Phoenix over the past three days.

Charlotte got seven or more points from 10 different players in a 135-115 romp over the Suns on Saturday afternoon, running their winning streak to three games, including a 108-93 shocker at San Antonio on Monday in their most recent road contest.

The Charlotte bench contributed 56 points to the win over Phoenix, allowing no Hornets starter to play more than 33 minutes in the type of restful performance ideal for the first half of a back-to-back.

Reserves Tony Parker (14 points), Miles Bridges (10) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (10) all scored in double figures in the win, continuing a recent stretch in which they have combined with Malik Monk (7) and Willy Hernangomez (9) to provide different-making play off the Charlotte bench.

"They're gaining confidence through this season," Parker said recently of the Charlotte bench corps. "It's about that time now of the (season). We have to get a winning streak going. The teams behind us are playing well, and now it's our turn to play better."

The double-figure efforts were the 19th of the season for Parker and 14th for Kidd-Gilchrist.

Monk was among three Hornets reserves who scored 11 or more points when Charlotte beat Indiana 127-109 at home in November. The Charlotte backups outscored their Indiana counterparts 55-45 on that night.

Monk also went for 17 points when the Hornets won 119-93 at Indiana in their most recent visit on the final day of the 2018 regular season.

The Pacers don't figure to be at a fatigue disadvantage Sunday as they, too, had a relatively easy time in disposing of Saturday's opponent, the Dallas Mavericks, 111-99.

Indiana never led by fewer than eight points through the second half and benefitted from the ejection of Mavericks rookie standout Luka Doncic, who received two technical fouls.

The one-sidedness of the game allowed four Indiana reserves to put in 16 or more minutes of action while no Pacers starter was extended past 33 minutes.

It was the type of dominant performance Indiana star Victor Oladipo had sought after the Pacers were crushed by the 76ers two nights earlier.

"Their big dogs were big," he said of the 76ers following the loss. "It should be a wake-up call for us."

The win was the Pacers' 30th of the year, making them the sixth in the NBA to reach the mark this season. They didn't pick up their 30th win last season until Feb. 3.

Indiana has won 17 of its last 22 games.

Oladipo was out of action with a sore knee when the Pacers made their earlier trip to Charlotte. He sat out 11 straight games, with Indiana going just 7-4.

He also didn't play in Charlotte's season-ending win at Indiana last April, taking the night off to rest up for the upcoming playoffs.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Re: Game Thread 1/20: Hornets vs. Pacers 

Post#2 » by ducler » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 am

Who needs kemba!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#4 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Who needs kemba!
thank you. he either could not or did not check DC. I do not want to pay him the max.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#5 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Easier part of season is over... now guys have to show what they can... we have Raptors and Warriors at home and 4 away games... in Mart we have tour on the west... it will be hard to save No 3 place...
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Vorda your boy DC is starting to play pretty good basketball.....
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Vorda wrote:Easier part of season is over... now guys have to show what they can... we have Raptors and Warriors at home and 4 away games... in Mart we have tour on the west... it will be hard to save No 3 place...

Read on Twitter
Vorda
Senior

Post#8 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Vorda your boy DC is starting to play pretty good basketball.....

Yeah... especially he played well against Celtics and Sixers... all star level...
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Vorda wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:Vorda your boy DC is starting to play pretty good basketball.....

Yeah... especially he played well against Celtics and Sixers... all star level...

no one is claiming he's an all star. I'll happily concede the other 4 starters and #11 are all better than he is. so what? every team, even the warriors, has a weakest starter. if you want to cheer for a team with 5 all stars, find another team to follow because the Pacers are not going to pay mega-bucks in luxury tax. only the mega-market teams with big local TV deals and sky high ticket prices paid by corporate buyers can afford to do that.

DC had a very good game against Kemba last night. it was a good matchup for him as they are both small and fast. yes, he had a tougher time against Kyrie and Simmons. who doesn't?
Vorda
Senior

Post#10 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:

no one is claiming he's an all star. I'll happily concede the other 4 starters and #11 are all better than he is. so what? every team, even the warriors, has a weakest starter. if you want to cheer for a team with 5 all stars, find another team to follow because the Pacers are not going to pay mega-bucks in luxury tax. only the mega-market teams with big local TV deals and sky high ticket prices paid by corporate buyers can afford to do that.

DC had a very good game against Kemba last night. it was a good matchup for him as they are both small and fast. yes, he had a tougher time against Kyrie and Simmons. who doesn't?
Kemba scored 23 last night and had a lot of open shoots... Slow down little... Elf Payton would be upgrade over old and average DC

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Vorda wrote:Kemba scored 23 last night and had a lot of open shoots... Slow down little

Kemba had 23 and 7. DC had 19 and 9. I'm not saying that had we swapped point guards DC would have led Charlotte to a win. I'm just saying he had a nice game.

CoJo did not. Tony Parker had something left in his tank.

will DC stay at his level as long as Tony has? do we have his successor on the roster today?

all valid questions but I seriously doubt that there is a point guard sitting on some team's bench that would be a major upgrade over DC. you could maybe argue Smith, Jr. but if he can't coexist with Doncic, wouldn't he have the same problem with Vic? of course, I could be overlooking someone as I rarely watch games other than the Pacers.
Vorda
Senior

Post#12 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:Kemba scored 23 last night and had a lot of open shoots... Slow down little

Kemba had 23 and 7. DC had 19 and 9. I'm not saying that had we swapped point guards DC would have led Charlotte to a win. I'm just saying he had a nice game.

CoJo did not. Tony Parker had something left in his tank.

will DC stay at his level as long as Tony has? do we have his successor on the roster today?

all valid questions but I seriously doubt that there is a point guard sitting on some team's bench that would be a major upgrade over DC. you could maybe argue Smith, Jr. but if he can't coexist with Doncic, wouldn't he have the same problem with Vic? of course, I could be overlooking someone as I rarely watch games other than the Pacers.

Doncic is a primary ballhandler, every PG cant coexist with him... he needs shooters around him, but he has unbelievable court vision so he can afford it...
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Vorda wrote:Doncic is a primary ballhandler, every PG cant coexist with him... he needs shooters around him, but he has unbelievable court vision so he can afford it...

DC can shoot. I suppose you'd happily offer him to Dallas for Smith.
Vorda
Senior

Post#14 » by Vorda » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:Doncic is a primary ballhandler, every PG cant coexist with him... he needs shooters around him, but he has unbelievable court vision so he can afford it...

I would offer him for a chair...
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Kemba scored 23 last night and had a lot of open shoots... Slow down little... Elf Payton would be upgrade over old and average DC

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk

And DC had 19 points 9 assists and 2 steals with 3 for 5 3 pt shooting. So Kemba wasn't exactly locking DC down. I'll say it again, Kemba is not worth the Max and that is what he's gonna want. Some team will pay him but not Indiana.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Oh come on we're not talking about TJ Ford circa 2009!
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#17 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

:roll:

Return to Indiana Pacers