2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,016

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#101 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here - what's the plan for Aaron Holiday? He will be a RFA next offseason. What would it take to get him to the Hawks?

I think it all depends on what happens with TJ McConnell and the draft. If TJ sticks around, there’s a good chance we could look to move Aaron. He’s not in the 1st round value wise right now, but the timing also means it would be future picks, if any were to be involved. There’s not a great player value fit on the Atlanta roster right now. Aaron isn’t worth Huerter or Reddish, or any other young guys, while Fernando just isn’t interesting. Maybe just a couple 2nds if you take him into cap space? We have quite a few future 2nds right now, so it may even be worth just holding onto Aaron at that point?

Most likely, keep Indy in mind if you work out any trades this offseason, and maybe we’d loop in as a 3rd team?

Hawks have 2nds and capspace. How much do you think the Pacers are willingnto spend to keep TJ?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,247

Post#102 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:36 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here - what's the plan for Aaron Holiday? He will be a RFA next offseason. What would it take to get him to the Hawks?

I think it all depends on what happens with TJ McConnell and the draft. If TJ sticks around, there’s a good chance we could look to move Aaron. He’s not in the 1st round value wise right now, but the timing also means it would be future picks, if any were to be involved. There’s not a great player value fit on the Atlanta roster right now. Aaron isn’t worth Huerter or Reddish, or any other young guys, while Fernando just isn’t interesting. Maybe just a couple 2nds if you take him into cap space? We have quite a few future 2nds right now, so it may even be worth just holding onto Aaron at that point?

Most likely, keep Indy in mind if you work out any trades this offseason, and maybe we’d loop in as a 3rd team?

Hawks have 2nds and capspace. How much do you think the Pacers are willingnto spend to keep TJ?

Don’t know. Carlisle should love him as he loved JJ Barea. Pritchard loves him. We have a little under $12m in luxury tax space to fill the last 2 roster spots. Say we sign a vet minimum for the 15th spot, we’d have up to around $9-10m we could max out on TJ, though we’d likely look for a long-term deal in the 4/$24-28m range?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 769

Post#103 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jul 6, 2021 6:40 am

Tom White wrote:

Got any Cheetos?

Seriously, though, we wouldn't want to just give him away.

It would take at least two bags.

And not the small bags.

Make it 4 bags and I get 2 ! Love them.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#104 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:42 pm

I like the idea of kicking the tires on Marvin Bagley III. A former lottery pick with untapped star potential that can probably be had cheap. Making a deal for him would be a potential low risk; high upside move. The first is a change of scenery with a great coach (Carlisle) and better culture may help him to reach his potential. Additionally Sabonis ability to facilitate may be a boost to unlocking his potential. Second; If Bagley is able to turn around his career it puts the franchise in position to push their chips in the middle in the short term; in terms of having three elite bigs making it easier to deal one (Probably Myles + role player) for a disgruntled star wing or guard that could create a window to compete for a top 3 seed in the East. The flipside is he doesnt start to reach his potential and can simply not be resigned in 2022.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#106 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:57 pm

Who does Houston have that fits the bill (under contract for 2+ years), and is also worth a darn? And doesn't cost a ton more than their worth? I'm not seeing much. Smokescreen? Kind of early for that.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#107 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 9, 2021 5:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Duarte?

I'm not sure if I am reading this right, but is it the 13th pick for the 23rd and 24th?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:02 pm

Tom White wrote:Who does Houston have that fits the bill (under contract for 2+ years), and is also worth a darn? And doesn't cost a ton more than their worth? I'm not seeing much. Smokescreen? Kind of early for that.

JaeSean Tate screams this value in terms of a trade down. He was 1st team all Rookie this past year based almost solely on his ability to defend the 1-4 positions. He’s also not totally lost on offense, though his 3 point shot hasn’t translated yet. Still has 2 more years on what is essentially the same contract as Oshae Brissett. I wouldn’t deal 13 for him straight up, but for 23 or 24? Maybe? If we could get 18/Tate for Aaron/13, I’d do that ASAP. Maybe I’d only wait on the clock to make sure someone shocking doesn’t fall to 13.

Moooose wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Duarte.

I'm not sure if I am reading this right, but is it the 13th pick for the 23rd and 24th?

Mock draft sites haven’t lifted him yet, but amongst team chatter, talk is that Duarte won’t fall far out of the lottery. Probably gone by 18? Looks like someone in the 14-16 range.
Moooose
Starter

Post#109 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:02 pm

Tom White wrote:Who does Houston have that fits the bill (under contract for 2+ years), and is also worth a darn? And doesn't cost a ton more than their worth? I'm not seeing much. Smokescreen? Kind of early for that.

I doubt if they'd be willing to deal any of these three - Porter Jr., Martin Jr., or Tate. Maybe, they will depending on who they will be getting with the picks.

Other than these three guys, there's Danuel House and ex-Pacer DJ Augustin.
Moooose
Starter

Post#110 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

JaeSean Tate screams this value in terms of a trade down. He was 1st team all Rookie this past year based almost solely on his ability to defend the 1-4 positions. He’s also not totally lost on offense, though his 3 point shot hasn’t translated yet. Still has 2 more years on what is essentially the same contract as Oshae Brissett. I wouldn’t deal 13 for him straight up, but for 23 or 24? Maybe? If we could get 18/Tate for Aaron/13, I’d do that ASAP. Maybe I’d only wait on the clock to make sure someone shocking doesn’t fall to 13.

Moooose wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Duarte.

Mock draft sites haven’t lifted him yet, but amongst team chatter, talk is that Duarte won’t fall far out of the lottery. Probably gone by 18? Looks like someone in the 14-16 range.

Yeah, the period next to Duarte was supposedly a question mark. I don't think he'd fall that far as well. Omoruyi is the next best ranked prospect from Oregon, I believe.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#111 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. That is part of the problem with depending on sites that list stats for players - They are almost all based on the offensive end of the court (except rebounds for the most part). I'm not learning anything about a player's defensive skills when I'm looking at those, and truthfully, I haven't watched Houston as a general rule.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,223

Post#112 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:21 pm

I really liked DJ Wilson coming out of Michigan but he's done nothing.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:15 pm

From a Cleveland blogger:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:From a Cleveland blogger:

At 6'1" can he actually guard anybody?
Is he really a playmaker or another scorer pretending to be a PG?

I'm just not excited about short guards.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#115 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Tom White wrote:

I was also thinking two short guards were enough but Mitchell is supposed to be long enough to defend. I don't know about Sexton.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#116 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Wizop wrote:I was also thinking two short guards were enough but Mitchell is supposed to be long enough to defend. I don't know about Sexton.

Sent from my phone.

Here is my thing with Mitchell. Yes, he is supposedly a good defender, size considered. But we really don't know much about him. All that almost everyone has seen of him is one tournament run. A darned good one, but still a small frame of reference. I look at his free throw shooting and have to wonder if his 3pt shooting this past season will be sustained, or an exception, and he now returns to being not so impressive on offense. That Baylor team caught lightning in a bottle, that is for sure.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:18 am

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:I was also thinking two short guards were enough but Mitchell is supposed to be long enough to defend. I don't know about Sexton.

Sent from my phone.

Here is my thing with Mitchell. Yes, he is supposedly a good defender, size considered. But we really don't know much about him. All that almost everyone has seen of him is one tournament run. A darned good one, but still a small frame of reference. I look at his free throw shooting and have to wonder if his 3pt shooting this past season will be sustained, or an exception, and he now returns to being not so impressive on offense. That Baylor team caught lightning in a bottle, that is for sure.

Very good questions, and similar to the ones that much smarter draft-niks than I are asking.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 am

Tom White wrote:

He is not much of a defender right now, but it hasn’t really been asked of him either. Otherwise, he’s a dynamic scorer from multiple levels. He’s not a PG in terms of distributing, but he has to be a PG for positional defense. He’s not much of a playmaker for others, at this point. I’m not sold on acquiring him, or paying the price to do so, but he did put up 24ppg on a TS of 57.3%. He’s a tremendous scorer.

Likely it would cost more than the 13 to acquire him, though. I’m sure it’s just his agent spreading info to drum up interest as he’ll be negotiating his rookie contract extension this offseason.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#119 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:49 am

Tom White wrote:Here is my thing with Mitchell. Yes, he is supposedly a good defender, size considered. But we really don't know much about him.

Chad Ford rates Mitchell 7th best and thinks GS should take him at 7 but if they don't he thinks he could fall all the way to us. If we pass, GS could get him at 14. I think I'd prefer him to Aaron as a 3rd PG,

But if Doug is gone this year and Lamb next year, a 2/3 might make more sense. Moody, Williams, and Keon Johnson are possible. But I won't complain if we get a still bigger player.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:50 am

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Here is my thing with Mitchell. Yes, he is supposedly a good defender, size considered. But we really don't know much about him.

Chad Ford rates Mitchell 7th best and thinks GS should take him at 7 but if they don't he thinks he could fall all the way to us. If we pass, GS could get him at 14. I think I'd prefer him to Aaron as a 3rd PG,

But if Doug is gone this year and Lamb next year, a 2/3 might make more sense. Moody, Williams, and Keon Johnson are possible. But I won't complain if we get a still bigger player.

Sent from my phone.

Regardless of Doug/Lamb, it’s always important to have more good wings than you think you’ll need, especially as teams are more playing 3, or sometimes even 4, at a time.

Return to Indiana Pacers