Official League Trade Deadline Thread: Pacers Don't Deal

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,825

Post#121 » by CableKC » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:39 pm

^^^ I want to keep Foster as an Expiring Contract next season that we can use in any possible trade deadline deal.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 487

Post#122 » by granger05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 pm

There were some more Pacer mentions in that Chad Ford article that count referenced.

NEW JERSEY:
The Nets have been trying to get the Pacers to take Carter for Jermaine O'Neal, but they'd have to find a third team willing to take Carter. The Pacers are trying to reduce payroll, not add to it long-term.

PHOENIX:
Word is that they're looking at players like Tyronn Lue (who was just traded to Sacramento, but could be repackaged again) and the Pacers' Jeff Foster.

The Suns don't have big expiring contracts, but they do have the Hawks' first-round draft pick this year.

PORTLAND:
He made a determined effort to nab Devin Harris from Dallas and also has been in hot pursuit of the Pacers' Danny Granger. He may land neither, but he is ready to give up players like Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez, Jarrett Jack and Martell Webster if the right opportunity comes up.

All of these mentions make me feel better about what the team is doing. They seem to value the right players and the kinds of deals we're looking at appear to be for expirings and picks/youngsters.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 445

Post#123 » by Grang33r » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Foster to Suns for WHOEVER and Hawks pick. Done, sealed, delivered. I'll go and take Foster to the airport myself!
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by granger05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Another comment on Portland's pursuit of Danny. I've wondered about Portland as a trade partner for us since the rumors of them giving up Outlaw as a part of a deal for Devin Harris. Outlaw is their only real SF and going into the year that was the position everyone talked about as Portland's weakest. If they were sending him out then it seemed like our glut of forwards may be interesting for them and they seem to have a surplus of guards which we could certainly use.

I'd prefer to send Dunleavy given his contract. He's from Oregon and I think he'd fit well with Portland's team as well. However, even if we had to part with Danny, I'm not sure that's all bad. He'll be turning 25 in a couple months here. Every player on that list from Portland (Outlaw, Jack, Webster, and Rodriguez) is younger than him.

If Portland covets him enough that we could get a couple of those guys and a later pick or get a chance to shed some salary in the deal then I think you have to look at the long term effects of balancing out our roster. I think Granger would thrive in Portland on a team with Roy, Aldridge, and Oden. However, I don't think he'd reach that same level over the next few years being miscast here as a leading scorer. There he could focus on the things he does well.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#125 » by Grang33r » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:42 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Interesting article. Says Denver may offer the Kings Eduardo Najera,
Linas Kleiza and 1st round pick for Ron Artest. Is this a joke? Is his value really that high? I'd love that deal if we could do it... lol
joew8302
Senior
And1: 0

Post#126 » by joew8302 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:06 pm

I feel a lot better knowing that Indiana doesn't want Carter, but is looking to move JO.

I don't feel better about reading talks of Danny Granger to Portland for Jarret Jack, Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez and others. Danny Granger has made immense improvements every year and might not be done topping off yet. It seems like Portland is trying to throw together a bunch of waste to grab Granger, I wouldn't even consider that for Indiana.

Foster is Indiana's most desirable player right now for a lot of teams. If Indiana makes a trade he would be involved IMO.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#127 » by granger05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:55 pm

The Pacers portion of the article made it appear that Indy was dismissing offers for Granger out of hand. I was just expressing my opinion that if Portland offered something rich like Webster, Rodriguez, and a 1st round pick or those two and a chance to dump salary on them for Raef LaFrentz's contract (expires after next year), then I would have to consider it given the makeup of our team.
joew8302
Senior

Post#128 » by joew8302 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Gotcha. I still wouldn't do it. If they want Granger I want Aldridge, which is something I am sure they wouldn't do either.
JarrettJackSG
Rookie

Post#129 » by JarrettJackSG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Granger for Outlaw, Fernandez, and whatever. Those two alone are enough, Fernandez is the next Manu and Outlaw is Outlaw.
Rest in Peace, Pacerfan
Will eat crow if Brandon Rush turns out good.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,838

Post#130 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 am

joew8302 wrote:Gotcha. I still wouldn't do it. If they want Granger I want Aldridge, which is something I am sure they wouldn't do either.
Perfectly said.
cdash
Analyst

Post#131 » by cdash » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 am

Fun game. I would trade Granger for Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez, and Travis Outlaw or their first round pick top 10 protected.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#132 » by TBpup » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:26 am

If Portland covets him enough that we could get a couple of those guys and a later pick or get a chance to shed some salary in the deal then I think you have to look at the long term effects of balancing out our roster. I think Granger would thrive in Portland on a team with Roy, Aldridge, and Oden. However, I don't think he'd reach that same level over the next few years being miscast here as a leading scorer. There he could focus on the things he does well.

One of the most salient posts I've read in a while for someone commenting about their own hometown player.

:starwars
@TBpup22
PacerGuy
Analyst

Post#133 » by PacerGuy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Teus Feb 19 - Rumor Update:
NY Post
Meanwhile, the Nets will continue to wheel until Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline. Sources throughout the league say Kiki Vandeweghe is generating a heated rush of discussions involving Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Mike Miller and Nene.

Not sure what to make of that rather veuge & random thought, but then again, it is the NY Pist...errr Post.
Nice to hear another teams name w/ Tin's associated w/ it. Gotta think the Cav's might be getting desperate too w/ King James getting more discouraged by the day.
I here DEN is really wanting to move Nene, as they will be over the cap n/y w/ only 5 players (AI, Mello, K-Mart, Camby, Nene). W/ Nene out likely thru the end of the yr., the likely-hood of him being dealt is very small (unless your a team who is/ acts "out of it" already - like us). He would be an interesting "replacement" for JO, but till we move Murph & Tinsley first, I have little interest.
No M.Miller nor D.Granger news that I found.....
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
cdash
Analyst

Post#134 » by cdash » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:41 am

Did anyone hear that rumor that Ric Bucher reported on SportsCenter earlier? JO to the Warriors for Harrington, O'Bryant, Pietrus, and some other bits. I was on the phone so I didnt catch the entire thing. I doubt theres a lot of substance to it, but I was just curious to see if anyone else heard it?
chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#135 » by chatard5 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 am

Yeah I heard it on ESPN... I doubt it happens, at least I hope not. 2 tries at Harrington is enough for me.
joew8302
Senior

Post#136 » by joew8302 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:22 am

The Warrior rumor makes about as much sense as Phoenix trading for Shaq. Don't they see how JO breaks down in a running offense? Also, how weird would it be to see Cwebb and JO on the court trying to run with the Warriors? Doesn't make any sense for Golden State to want JO.
harding156
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#137 » by harding156 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:57 am

I heard it. I also heard him say it was very unlikely. Adding Harrington to our roster for the third time would be kind of funny.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#138 » by Grang33r » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 am

From the looks of it, seems like Larry Bird is one of the most active guys in the league right now, which is a positive sign IMO. We're looking at many deals to help our team and he's looking for the best deal, not the first deal. I think it's a good sign that Larry Bird is actually trying to fix the team. Even though i don't know if we'll make any deals, i do think this is a preview of the summer which i think we may be very active on and near draft day.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,838

Post#139 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 am

Grang33r wrote:From the looks of it, seems like Larry Bird is one of the most active guys in the league right now, which is a positive sign IMO. We're looking at many deals to help our team and he's looking for the best deal, not the first deal. I think it's a good sign that Larry Bird is actually trying to fix the team. Even though i don't know if we'll make any deals, i do think this is a preview of the summer which i think we may be very active on and near draft day.
Do we share a brain or is it our BBB roots? :-p
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#140 » by Grang33r » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 am

^^ Great brains think alike.

Return to Indiana Pacers