Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread 

Post#161 » by Jake0890 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Don't know if you saw pictures of Biggie when we worked him out, but kid looks good. Lost a bunch of weight and seems to be taking his health more serious.

My concern isn't whether he'll be in shape, but whether his bully ball game can transition to the NBA...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Re: RE: Re: Unofficial 2017 Off Season Thread 

Post#162 » by Wizop » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm

SBM wrote:Biggie should not be drafted to this team. We already see what being out of shape does with Al Jefferson. I don't see how you can call yourself a professional while being out of shape to do your work.

He was reportedly in great shape when the pacers worked him out. He's been working hard on his body for at least two years. Think Draymond Green.

Sent from my 831C using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#163 » by Wizop » Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'm on the phone to Orlando wanting to trade down for Biggie and more.

Wiz you and I agree a lot on here, but not on this one. Biggie is a great college talent and I very well may be wrong, but I think he is going to have a hard time transitioning to the NBA. I think he is really going to struggle defensively.

I think however you use them high seconds are going to be gold this year with the new two way contracts. I wouldn't risk the 18 on Biggie, but in the second where a guaranteed contract isn't required and the rules allow a kid to get minor league money in fort Wayne without counting against a 15 player roster but be locked in to us, he could be a steal. That's also the perfect way to turn a college shooting guard into a point guard.

Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,784

Post#164 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'm on the phone to Orlando wanting to trade down for Biggie and more.

Wiz you and I agree a lot on here, but not on this one. Biggie is a great college talent and I very well may be wrong, but I think he is going to have a hard time transitioning to the NBA. I think he is really going to struggle defensively.

I think however you use them high seconds are going to be gold this year with the new two way contracts. I wouldn't risk the 18 on Biggie, but in the second where a guaranteed contract isn't required and the rules allow a kid to get minor league money in fort Wayne without counting against a 15 player roster but be locked in to us, he could be a steal. That's also the perfect way to turn a college shooting guard into a point guard.

Love that idea.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#165 » by SBM » Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Don't know if you saw pictures of Biggie when we worked him out, but kid looks good. Lost a bunch of weight and seems to be taking his health more serious.

My concern isn't whether he'll be in shape, but whether his bully ball game can transition to the NBA...

I saw Biggie and others, none of which I am interested in drafting.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#166 » by Wizop » Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 am

Not interested at 18 but what about lower particularly if trader Kevin moves around in between our current picks?

SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#167 » by SBM » Thu May 18, 2017 3:27 am

If we moved down and took 20+26 from Portland for 18 I still would not want Biggie.
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#168 » by Jermainevent » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Biggie is an interesting prospect, dominated down low in the Big Ten, appears to be working on reinventing his body and style of play. He always reminded me of Zach Randolph, but the way he's slimmed down, he reminds me a bit of Kevin Love's transformation.

I'm not sure how his game will translate at the next level, but an early second round pick would not be out of the question.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
MrWaffles
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#169 » by MrWaffles » Thu May 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Lakers fan here, I live just south of Indy. I've predicted the Pacers moves for the past few seasons. If I'm Kevin.. this is what I'm doing.

Pacers are already 23rd in the league in attendance, prepare for it to get worst after this, but it's worth it.

1 - Trade PG for a realistic draft pick, 13-25. That's it
2- Move Ellis and Young for a late 1st round pick
3-Don't re-sign Teague or CJ.
4- Pray you land some gems with these new draft picks.

Build around Turner/PG Pick/ Ellis + Young pick. Hand out heavy 1 year deals to potential gems, basically make the Pacers the mad ants.

Just tear it down and rebuild. It will be ugly, but why try to compete when Lebron is Lebron for the next 5 years?

Oh yeah, keep Nate to keep the tank strong. Fire him the summer you're about to have 4-5 players to build around and go from there.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#170 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Who is "Biggie?"
Wizop
RealGM

Post#171 » by Wizop » Thu May 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Biggie is Swanigan.

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#172 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I like Swanigan in the early 2nd round.

What I'd do is offer Jefferson and $4 million to Orlando for Biyombo and the 2 2nds they have 33 and 35. They do it to dump his $17 million per year. Then we play Biyombo at Center and move Turner back to PF. With the 2 2nds we take Swanigan and Josh Hart, with our own 2nd at 47 we can take Jonathan Jeanne from France and let him play there for another year or 2, he's 20 and 7'2'' reminds me of Rudy Gobert.

Then if we get the word from PG that he's no likely to resign we Offer him and Ellis to OKC for Kanter, Oladipo, McDermmont and 2 #1 picks. Would have to happen right after the draft to get OKC's #21 pick.

If we're trading PG we should also trade Thad Young, I'd try Portland take Myers Leonard and ask for pick 20 and 26, that would be the 20th pick for Thad and the 26th for taking Leonard.

Then we might be able to combine the 20 and 26 to get a higher pick as we don't want 6 rookies on the team.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#173 » by Wizop » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I like the idea of an expiring player or two to Orlando for a center and picks. I'd take Vucevic if that's the center they want to move.

I don't see the OKC trade unless Paul says he'll resign there to play with Westbrook. given that OKC has moved on from both Harden and Durant though I doubt that they want to pay two max contracts but it never hurts to ask.
SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#174 » by SBM » Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 pm

I believe OKC would take Paul for a 1 yr rental at the right price. I think there are several that would.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#175 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Wizop wrote:I like the idea of an expiring player or two to Orlando for a center and picks. I'd take Vucevic if that's the center they want to move.

I don't see the OKC trade unless Paul says he'll resign there to play with Westbrook. given that OKC has moved on from both Harden and Durant though I doubt that they want to pay two max contracts but it never hurts to ask.

If PG wants to win pairing him with Westbrook, and Adams would be a great start. For OKC they'd be dumping a bunch of salary. To make it work we'd take Kanter, and Oladipo the 21st pick and a 2021 pick for PG, Lance and Jefferson, they buy Jefferson out for $4 million for 2018-19 and pay PG. Considering Lance was brought in to please PG we might have to put him in the deal. Lance would have to be the bench guy I can't see him playing with Westbrook, and they might not even want him. If they don't we take him out of the deal.

They'd have to bring on some lower cost vets to supplement the core players. PG and Jefferson cost them $33 million in 2017-18 while Kanter and Oladipo costs $38.8 million. I'd like to have Sabonis in the deal as well, but not sure they would go for that he's another $2.5 million. This gives them room to sign Roberson.

I think they want to move Kanter and from the attitude of the OKC posters in the trade forum they don't expect to get much back and they seem to be wanting to move Oladipo. Victor has more value than Kanter. Barring other deals our lineup would look like this:

C - Kanter
PF- Turner
SF - Harkless
SG - Oladipo
PG - Teague

We might not even want to resign Teague and I'd look to move Thad to another team I was thinking Portland for Harkless and Myers Leonard and the 20th pick. Harkless could start at SF, we get the 20th pick for taking Leonard. Let CJ Miles go. Then try to move Monte Ellis, IDK if it can be done but considering his contract clause if he's released he's expiring I'd go after either Biyombo or Vuc from the Magic. I think we'd have to give them something to get Vuc but I think they might pay us off to take Biyombo, I'd ask for their late 1st but settle for one or both 2nds they have #33 and #35.

If all this could be done we'd have picks 18, 20, 21, 33 and/or 35 and our own pick at 47. Justin Jackson at 18, Harry Giles at 20, Frank Jackson at 21, Caleb Swanigan at 33, Josh Hart at 35 and Jonathon Jeanne at 47. Jeanne is a 7'2'' center from France 20 yrs old and I'd let him play there until 2019.

This would be a lot of moves for one draft and summer I haven't done the math to see if we have any cap room, but if we are trading PG, Jefferson, Ellis, Thad and not resigning Teague and CJ MIles we should have some room even with Biyombo $17 million, Kanter $17.8 million, and Oladipo at $21 million, Harkless is $9.6 million and Leonard is at $9.9 million, Myles Turner $2.5 million

That's $77.8 million for 6 players, we'd still have, Allen, Seraphin, Christmas, GRIII, Niang, Joe Young, and 5 draft picks to sign and Sabonis if we could get him in the PG deal. That's 18 players. I get a total of $97.4 million and no point guard other than Joe Young and Lance of he's not traded with PG or if we draft one. The 2017-18 cap is projected at $101 million. If we need roster spots I'm sure that Christmas, Niang or Joe Young could be sent out in any of the trades.

Kanter has a player option for 2018-19. I'm pretty sure we'd want to add Lance to the OKC deal.

So there is my ambitious off season plan for moving PG and restructuring the Pacers. IDK how many games we'd win maybe 30, maybe not that many. Probably too much going on in this plan to be realistic but I remember Pritchard getting crazy like this when he was in Portland.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#176 » by Wizop » Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 pm

I don't see the point of trading Lance. He's cheap and he's always been effective here.

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#177 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am

SBM wrote:If we moved down and took 20+26 from Portland for 18 I still would not want Biggie.

Can't imagine the Blazers are going to trade 2 1st rounders to move up 2 spots. Seems like a waste of 1st round pick.

basketballwacko2 wrote: I was thinking Portland for Harkless and Myers Leonard and the 20th pick. Harkless could start at SF, we get the 20th pick for taking Leonard.

Blazers GM has made it clear he still views the team in the midst of a rebuild and places a high value on youth. So with that, it's unlikely the Blazers would be overly willing to move Harkless for Thad. I like Thad well enough and he'd probably be a nice fit, but I don't think Portland would be thrilled by that offer, even if it gets rid of Leonard.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#178 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 am

Wizop wrote:I don't see the point of trading Lance. He's cheap and he's always been effective here.

Yeah, you guys would be best to keep him. No team will give you anything worthwhile for him since he's proven he really only works in Indy for whatever weird reason.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#179 » by pacers33granger » Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 am

DusterBuster wrote:
SBM wrote:If we moved down and took 20+26 from Portland for 18 I still would not want Biggie.

Can't imagine the Blazers are going to trade 2 1st rounders to move up 2 spots. Seems like a waste of 1st round pick.

basketballwacko2 wrote: I was thinking Portland for Harkless and Myers Leonard and the 20th pick. Harkless could start at SF, we get the 20th pick for taking Leonard.

Blazers GM has made it clear he still views the team in the midst of a rebuild and places a high value on youth. So with that, it's unlikely the Blazers would be overly willing to move Harkless for Thad. I like Thad well enough and he'd probably be a nice fit, but I don't think Portland would be thrilled by that offer, even if it gets rid of Leonard.

Yeah neither trade would work for Portland.

As someone whose much more in tune with the Blazers front office, do you think Olshey views Leonard as negative? I know he was his guy and he gave him that contract based on his potential, so is he ready to move on yet? He had a horrid season and I definitely view him as negative, but I'm not certain Olshey does. I don't want him personally, but trying to gauge his value to Portland right now.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#180 » by pacers33granger » Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 am

On a side note, all this PG stuff has given us the most traffic on this board in as long as I can remember.

We have 9 pages on this thread already that was started last month. The offseason thread for 2016 is at 7 pages and is 2 years old.

Return to Indiana Pacers