With 18th Pick, Pacers Select Goga Bitadze

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Re: With 18th Pick, Pacers Select Goga Bitadze 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 am

I'll trust the FO but my son thinks it's a Plumlee pick and I sure liked the guys who went 19 to 23.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Post#22 » by Grang33r » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:47 am

I don't think he understood the question about being surprised that he dropped and was available at 18. haha

So basically they see a Jovic esque player minus the passing/vision?
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#24 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#25 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 am

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

To me, that is just nuts.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#26 » by Moooose » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 am

I think Vorda likes this pick.

Somehow, I like it too. Though it was really heartbreaking to see Alexander Walker at 17th.

Bitadze makes sense to me as a back-up to Miles. As I've said in previous posts, the development of this kid is crazy. I've seen him play when he was younger and then 4 months after, he's a different player already. Really wouldn't be surprised if he outplays all of our bigs in 2 years or so. I personally would have preferred Kabengele for versatility, but they are not that far apart in my list.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Post#27 » by Grang33r » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#28 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 am

I'm ok with this pick. The reality is that a pick in this range would be lucky to be a rotation guy (see TJ Leaf) and this guy seems capable of that.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#29 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 am

I like the pick on value. Direction, I'm not sure but we should be happy we're taking BPA and worrying about fit later with mid firsts like we should.

All in all an ok draft. I'm not super high on it generally, but we got Bitadze, Warren, and 4 (?) 2nds for the expense of cap space basically. Even in the likely event Thad is gone we are basically looking at just guards now in free agency it would seem.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,274

Post#30 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good. This means that our scouting team is very confident in what we're getting in Goga. Goga Bitadze has been playing in Serbia since 2016. Alright, he did play in Montenegro last year but the two countries were one until 13 years ago, have great relations and the trip from Belgrade to Podgorica is a short one. KK Budućnost also plays in the Adriatic League which means that they get to play against Serbian teams quite often. So, Pajovic knows what he's talking about when it comes to him. Goga may be an unknown to a lot of us here but he is far from it to him. That does instill confidence in me as a fan.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 am

pacers33granger wrote:I like the pick on value. Direction, I'm not sure but we should be happy we're taking BPA and worrying about fit later with mid firsts like we should.

Yeah, the reason I wouldn't take Goga is because we are already set at Center. But I can't fault the FO for taking the BPA. Let's see if the FO has a trade in mind, though.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,989

Post#32 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:10 am

Fantastic pick. Had him going to Atl at 10. I really think he'll be one of the better players in this draft.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#33 » by Vorda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 am

Goga can already contribute... he played Euroleague last year... we have decent back up on center... he is good scorer and shot blocker...

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#34 » by Vorda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am

Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good. This means that our scouting team is very confident in what we're getting in Goga. Goga Bitadze has been playing in Serbia since 2016. Alright, he did play in Montenegro last year but the two countries were one until 13 years ago, have great relations and the trip from Belgrade to Podgorica is a short one. KK Budućnost also plays in the Adriatic League which means that they get to play against Serbian teams quite often. So, Pajovic knows what he's talking about when it comes to him. Goga may be an unknown to a lot of us here but he is far from it to him. That does instill confidence in me as a fan.
It wasnt problem to Pajovic to look Buducnost... it is the same for him... Serbia or Montenegro

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:38 am

Vorda wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

It wasnt problem to Pajovic to look Buducnost... it is the same for him... Serbia or Montenegro

I know. As I said, it's a short ride so he could watch him in person as often as he wanted.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
IMF
Junior
And1: 771

Post#36 » by IMF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 am

Nuntius wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I like the pick on value. Direction, I'm not sure but we should be happy we're taking BPA and worrying about fit later with mid firsts like we should.

Yeah, the reason I wouldn't take Goga is because we are already set at Center. But I can't fault the FO for taking the BPA. Let's see if the FO has a trade in mind, though.

It has been mentioned that they feel he is ready to contribute. Maybe they see him as a Kyle Oquin replacement, as we are going to need a third string center and this guy will fill that role cheaply with some upside to boot.

Could also mean we expect to see more Myles/Domas lineups. My spider sense tells me Thad Young will be gone for sure.
djsunyc wrote:tj mcconnell....the michael jordan of jj barea's.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 am

IMF wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

It has been mentioned that they feel he is ready to contribute. Maybe they see him as a Kyle Oquin replacement, as we are going to need a third string center and this guy will fill that role cheaply with some upside to boot.

Could also mean we expect to see more Myles/Domas lineups. My spider sense tells me Thad Young will be gone for sure.

'
Yeah, between trading for Warren and drafting Goga, I definitely believe that Thad is gone. It sucks a little because Thad is an excellent guy to have on your team but I wanted to go the Myles/Domas direction for a long time now.

Maybe we trade one of our young bigs for an upgrade at another position which allows Goga to be the back-up Center. Maybe we start Domas and Myles together and have him play the O'Quinn role. We'll see. It's definitely an exciting turn of events, though :D
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#38 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:20 am

Goga's a gun and really good value. I'm pretty shocked you guys picked him having Sabonis and Kyles already though.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,989

Post#39 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 am

GimmeDat wrote:Goga's a gun and really good value. I'm pretty shocked you guys picked him having Sabonis and Kyles already though.

I was SO ready for a Dipo + Clarke + Turner core.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#40 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 am

Nuntius wrote:
IMF wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

'
Yeah, between trading for Warren and drafting Goga, I definitely believe that Thad is gone. It sucks a little because Thad is an excellent guy to have on your team but I wanted to go the Myles/Domas direction for a long time now.

Maybe we trade one of our young bigs for an upgrade at another position which allows Goga to be the back-up Center. Maybe we start Domas and Myles together and have him play the O'Quinn role. We'll see. It's definitely an exciting turn of events, though :D

Yeah, it's clear that Pritcahrd wants to start Sabonis at the 4 now, and Thad is most likely gone. In that case, they need a backup center, so this draft pick makes sense. Goga Bitadze has decent potential, and he fits the system very well.

Return to Indiana Pacers