Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Re: Trades and Transactions? 

Post#261 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I imagine it would have to include Turner. You’d have to think that Pritchard, et al, have learned their lesson on trying to play a twin towers.

Not all tall players are naturally centers. If Carlisle wants to play them together, I wouldn't argue.

Saving a slot, Caitlin supports 7 for OG.

Exactly! Just like Sabonis was a PF! Or was it Turner was a PF? Well, it’s not like Washington and Dallas and NY played Porzingis as primarily a center or anything….. :wink:

Carlisle has coached both Turner and Porzingis. I'm not in favor of adding any max contract but I'd trust Carlisle to make this particular decision.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#262 » by GTR11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:09 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Hello Indy fans coming here with a trade idea and would like to hear your thoughts. I just been following trade rumors like you and came up with this trade idea:

BK send -> Cam Johnson, DFS and 21 with 22 picks.
BK get -> Bey and 7th pick

Indy send -> 7th pick
Indy get -> Collins, CamJ and BK 22 pick

ATL send -> Bey and Collins
ATL get -> DFS and 21 PHX

Trade machine says it works. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Cam Johnson is a free agent, and would require a sign and trade. As such, he can’t be traded for a draft pick in the current draft.

Otherwise, I think Indy would just make a big offer for Cam and make Brooklyn match and risk the second apron? I also think that taking on John Collins might require payment, or no more than the 32 going out. Certainly seems like Indy is paying way too much so that Atlanta and Brooklyn both get entirely too much value in return for their packages.

Can you just specify that part for me, maybe I missed something. CamJ is RFA and he has QO. So doing S&T shouldn't be an issue right?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#263 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:16 pm

GTR11 wrote:Can you just specify that part for me, maybe I missed something. CamJ is RFA and he has QO. So doing S&T shouldn't be an issue right?

Nope. The draft is in June. He can't be signed and traded until July. Making an agreement in June would be tampering.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#264 » by GTR11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Wizop wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Can you just specify that part for me, maybe I missed something. CamJ is RFA and he has QO. So doing S&T shouldn't be an issue right?

Nope. The draft is in June. He can't be signed and traded until July. Making an agreement in June would be tampering.

Right, unless all parties in agreement.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#265 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:25 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

In June? No. You'd have to trade the rights to the drafted player in July and convince the league there were no early discussions.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#266 » by Tom White » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:44 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:seems like Indy is paying way too much so that Atlanta and Brooklyn both get entirely too much value in return for their packages.

I think that is what he is hoping for. For the Nets, at least.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Post#267 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Hello Indy fans coming here with a trade idea and would like to hear your thoughts. I just been following trade rumors like you and came up with this trade idea:

BK send -> Cam Johnson, DFS and 21 with 22 picks.
BK get -> Bey and 7th pick

Indy send -> 7th pick
Indy get -> Collins, CamJ and BK 22 pick

ATL send -> Bey and Collins
ATL get -> DFS and 21 PHX

Trade machine says it works. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Cam Johnson is a free agent, and would require a sign and trade. As such, he can’t be traded for a draft pick in the current draft.

Otherwise, I think Indy would just make a big offer for Cam and make Brooklyn match and risk the second apron? I also think that taking on John Collins might require payment, or no more than the 32 going out. Certainly seems like Indy is paying way too much so that Atlanta and Brooklyn both get entirely too much value in return for their packages.

Can you just specify that part for me, maybe I missed something. CamJ is RFA and he has QO. So doing S&T shouldn't be an issue right?

Sure. The draft is June 22nd. Cam Johnson is a free agent, and not under contract. No team, including Brooklyn, can legally negotiate anything with him until he negotiation window opens on June 30th at 6pm. A qualifying offer isn’t a contract unless it’s signed by the player, which then creates many restrictions of when he could be traded (not until January).

A sign and trade that depends on draft picks in the current years draft would be clear evidence of an illegal deal. There’s just no way that Indy would draft whomever Brooklyn or Atlanta wanted at 7 JUST IN CASE Cam Johnson might be willing to negotiate with Indiana. But also, what if Cam doesn’t want to come to Indy? What if another team offers more? It could be a wasted draft pick. Etc.

Short story, it’s clear evidence of illegal tampering.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:55 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

All parties cannot even discuss it, let alone be in agreement until June 30th at the earliest. The draft is June 22nd. Therein lies the issue.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#269 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:56 pm

GTR11 wrote: Nesmith .... how you guys feel about him? Me personally, I only watched him during Boston days. To me he's 12-14 guy, him being picked 14th was a huge reach imo.

He was a key defender playing the 4. We hope to draft a true 4 and like the prospect of playing him at the 3. Don't hold Boston role against him.

There will be some serious competition for minutes particularly with Buddy and McConnell being still important. He may take a step back this year, but he's better than a third unit gunner.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,760

Post#270 » by HeatIn5 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:07 pm

With the Heat possibly getting Beal without sending out Herro - would you guys have any interest in a trade surrounding Herro for Myles?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#271 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:32 pm

HeatIn5 wrote:With the Heat possibly getting Beal without sending out Herro - would you guys have any interest in a trade surrounding Herro for Myles?

No
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:37 pm

HeatIn5 wrote:With the Heat possibly getting Beal without sending out Herro - would you guys have any interest in a trade surrounding Herro for Myles?

Nope. If we were to make a deal for Herro, it would be another guard centered trade. Like, if you had a deal worked out where the other team didn’t want Herro and his long term contract, Indy could hop in with Buddy’s expiring, cap space, and some combo of 26/29/32/Duarte/Jackson/Jalen.

But no. Hey can’t deal their only established player at the 4 or 5 in Turner for another guard. I guess we’d be playing Nesmith at the 5 after this and Herro at the 4? :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:49 pm

From Marc Stein

My podcast partner Chris Haynes reported Friday that the Pacers have made Thursday's No. 7 overall pick available to acquire a quality wing player. Indiana is certainly among the teams known to be interested in Anunoby alongside Sacramento, Memphis and others.

What I can add about the Pacers: Indy is poised to turn to free agency to address its need for a floor-spacing forward if desirable trade options fail to materialize this week.

League sources say that the Pacers have interest in Kings free agent-to-be Harrison Barnes, thanks at least in part to two rather prominent Barnes fans in the organization: All-Star guard Tyrese Haliburton (who played with Barnes in Sacramento) and Pacers coach Rick Carlisle (who coached Barnes in Dallas).
Wizop
RealGM

Post#274 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:From Marc Stein

League sources say that the Pacers have interest in Kings free agent-to-be Harrison Barnes, thanks at least in part to two rather prominent Barnes fans in the organization: All-Star guard Tyrese Haliburton (who played with Barnes in Sacramento) and Pacers coach Rick Carlisle (who coached Barnes in Dallas).

I like that much better than giving up the 7 for OG if he doesn't demand too long of a contract. would he take two years with a team option on a third?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:From Marc Stein

I like that much better than giving up the 7 for OG if he doesn't demand too long of a contract. would he take two years with a team option on a third?

For guys of his age, the usual rule of thumb is “sure, if you’ll pay him extra for the right to have a team option”.

Like, if you’d be able to get him for 3 years at $25m per without an option; maybe he’d give you a team option on the 3rd if you paid $27.5m per year.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 450

Post#276 » by Grang33r » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#277 » by Grang33r » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:48 am

I really like the Harrison Barnes rumor. He's a player i think can really help us. He's reliable (started all 89 games for the Kings last season), is a high-basketball IQ player and a great leader. We heard of the impact James Johnson and George Hill play as vets on the team and they barely play. Barnes is that leader who is also a key player. Knows how to win, knows what a winning locker room looks like, knows what a winning practice looks like. Plays the game right.

All pluses in my book.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#278 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:15 am

Grang33r wrote:I really like the Harrison Barnes rumor. He's a player i think can really help us. He's reliable (started all 89 games for the Kings last season), is a high-basketball IQ player and a great leader. We heard of the impact James Johnson and George Hill play as vets on the team and they barely play. Barnes is that leader who is also a key player. Knows how to win, knows what a winning locker room looks like, knows what a winning practice looks like. Plays the game right.

All pluses in my book.

I always think back to when Dallas traded him to Sacramento mid-game. Normally guys would leave the bench and pack their stuff, but he insisted on supporting his teammates one last time and stayed the entire game. Solid teammate stuff.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:16 am

Rafael Barlowe has been all over the podcasts the last two drafts, and I'm not sure I've seen much from him, as yet, that has stood out as solid news breaking. Maybe in time, and maybe his stuff is accurate "in this moment", but might change, but I'm not giving a ton of credence, yet.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#280 » by Grang33r » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:20 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Rafael Barlowe has been all over the podcasts the last two drafts, and I'm not sure I've seen much from him, as yet, that has stood out as solid news breaking. Maybe in time, and maybe his stuff is accurate "in this moment", but might change, but I'm not giving a ton of credence, yet.

Yeah, i dont think i knew of Barlowe prior to this draft process. The rumor today seems far fetched because he adds Turner. I'll have to see it to believe it but i don't think Pacers trading Turner.

Return to Indiana Pacers