Post#261 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:44 pm

Tom White wrote:
8305 wrote:My 2 deep

1 Hali, TJ
Wing defender. Brown, Nembard
Wing scorer, Mathurin, Hield
4. Walker, Toppin
5. Turner, ???

Wouldn't it be nice if the wings could defend AND score? Same for the other positions. I mean, this isn't football, where a player is either playing offense or defense. Players should be able to play both ends of the court.

Sure, but it isn't wrong to recognize each players strengths and balance offense and defense on the first and second units.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Re: 2023 Pacers offseason 

Post#262 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:17 am

I believe Carlisle is behind the scenes pushing to give this roster a bit of an edge. Bruce Brown and Jarace Walker are both defense first guys. Both Brown and Walker are known for being active on the glass which covers for Myles not being a particularly great rebounder. The Toppin pickup is a low risk move for a player with something to prove. Personally I was rooting for veteran former Pacer forwards like Justin Holiday and McBuckets. If I had to guess Mathurin will likely be a sixth man again this season behind Buddy and Bruce. Theres a lot of uncertainty at the four spot. I would start Walker from day one over Nesmith to accelerate his development and flex Obi at the backup four/five.

Haliburton/McConnell/Nembhard
Hield/Sheppard/ Nembhard
Brown/Mathurin
Walker/Nesmith
Turner/Toppin
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#263 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:32 am

SmashMouthRod wrote: Personally I was rooting for veteran former Pacer forwards like Justin Holiday and McBuckets.

No need for older players. I have depth chart very different.

Haliburton, Nembhard, McConnell
Maturin, Hield, Sheppard
BBrown, Nesmith
Toppin, Walker, Nwora
Turner, Smith, Jackson, Theis

KBrown, Wong, Oscar

A year from now we need at least two older players to move on to create roster spots for draftees and promoted two-ways.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#264 » by OnFire » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:27 am

Bol Bol was just waived by ORL.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37960319/bol-bol-hit-waivers-being-waived-orlando-magic

He could be a really good, lengthy PF/C prospect for us. Esp playing with Tyrese, could have a breakout year.

Takers? 8-)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#265 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:30 am

OnFire wrote:Bol Bol was just waived by ORL.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37960319/bol-bol-hit-waivers-being-waived-orlando-magic

He could be a really good, lengthy PF/C prospect for us. Esp playing with Tyrese, could have a breakout year.

Takers? 8-)

Who would you cut to make a roster spot?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Post#266 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:32 am

Takers? 8-)

Bol was just cut because Orlando saw Goga to be a better player than him, and guaranteed Goga rather than Bol.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#267 » by OnFire » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:18 am

Wizop wrote:

Takers? 8-)

Who would you cut to make a roster spot?

If it comes down to it, prob Theis 8-)
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#268 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed Jul 5, 2023 12:53 pm

I would love it if they added Bol. He was solid for a stretch last season. Can play the 3/4/5. His length alone can be disruptive on defense. And he is on the timeline with this roster.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#269 » by Tom White » Wed Jul 5, 2023 1:23 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:I would love it if they added Bol. He was solid for a stretch last season. Can play the 3/4/5. His length alone can be disruptive on defense. And he is on the timeline with this roster.

When I've seen him play, I've had mixed thoughts. Sometimes he has surprised me with his improvement, but other times it seems he hasn't advanced his play at all.

Anyway, if you get him, who are you going to cut and have to eat their contract - in addition to having to now pay Bol?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 5, 2023 3:45 pm

Sam Vecenie had a good point on a podcast (with the box and one guy, I think?) about that Bol is a novel player. He’s not a good player. He does fun things. He doesn’t know how to help a team win.

And Orlando just decided they preferred Goga to Bol. Maybe we should take that as a sign?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#271 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 5, 2023 3:55 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:And Orlando just decided they preferred Goga to Bol. Maybe we should take that as a sign?

I wouldn't push that too far. we're going to play at a much faster pace than Goga is suited for and he's a center and Bol is more of a 4. I can understand why Orlando chose Goga without believing we'd make the same choice.

I'm not in the Bol Bol camp. if I were clearing a roster spot, I think I'd sign K_Brown ahead of him. but if we had a choice between Bol and Goga for the last roster spot, I'd chose Bol.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#272 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:07 pm

Tom White wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:I would love it if they added Bol. He was solid for a stretch last season. Can play the 3/4/5. His length alone can be disruptive on defense. And he is on the timeline with this roster.

When I've seen him play, I've had mixed thoughts. Sometimes he has surprised me with his improvement, but other times it seems he hasn't advanced his play at all.

Anyway, if you get him, who are you going to cut and have to eat their contract - in addition to having to now pay Bol?

I’d rather have Bol than Tshbiewe or King. Bol might be better than Toppin right now. He plays defense and has length.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:13 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I’d rather have Bol than Tshbiewe or King. Bol might be better than Toppin right now. He plays defense and has length.

Bol blocks some shots but he does not play real defense. Not yet, at least.

Either way, Bol isn’t eligible for a 2 way based on his years of experience, so there’s no real debate of Tshiebwe/King or Bol. They’re not competing for the same roster spot. And either way, we’d still have a 3rd 2 way spot available if it were that simple.

As for Toppin? Hard to say. Toppin is much easier to fit in an offense. He can play In a system. To play Bol, you kind of have to tailor an entire roster, style, and lineup around him, and play through him. He doesn’t do much of anything off the ball for a team.

He’s not yet a positive impact on the court, but he sure is a unique case of a basketball player.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#274 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:22 pm

Any rumours of an Ayton trade from the Indiana side?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#275 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:24 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Any rumours of an Ayton trade from the Indiana side?

none at all. none expected now that Turner has been extended.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#276 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:57 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Bol is not better than Obi. He has an intriguing skillset but hes honestly a fringe NBA player right now at best who has also had attitude issues in the past.

He made some eye popping plays for Orlando but was a negative overall. It's telling that they saw no reason to hang onto him and couldn't find a taker in trade. Don't forget he's had 4 full years in the league and is still not worth a roster spot to most, if not all, teams. He's not a super raw prospect who hasn't gotten chances and NBA level development.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM

Post#277 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:26 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:I’d rather have Bol than Tshbiewe or King

Oscar is on a two-way and King is going to play in a foreign league so won't use a roster spot for at least a year. to sign Bol he'd have to replace someone on the 15 man roster. if no one picks him up, perhaps he'd take a g-league contract but he'll probably at least get a foreign offer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#278 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:22 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Any rumours of an Ayton trade from the Indiana side?

Nope. You seeing something specifically from Phoenix you’re checking on, or just kind of hoping?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#279 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:00 pm

8305 wrote:My 2 deep

1 Hali, TJ
Wing defender. Brown, Nembard
Wing scorer, Mathurin, Hield
4. Walker, Toppin
5. Turner, ???

Is another trade coming? I see the rotation the same as above and that drops Nesmith all the way from starting to not playing. Will he wait patiently for a year and then replace Buddy after his contract expires or want a trade? If we were trading Nesmith or Hield or Theis or ?, what kind of player (and contract) would we be shopping for?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#280 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 8, 2023 7:51 pm

I hope Nesmith doesn't fall out of the rotation. I don't have overly high hopes for him but he can become a real good 7-8th man that brings energy. He did enough last year to warrant some minutes. .

But yeah, hard to see where he gets much with the roster as is. I suspect he may be more of a situational player than he should be.

Also means Nwora is almost certainly at the very end of the bench.

It's a good problem to have in a lot of ways but we needed a consolidation trade from day one of the offseason and never really got there outside of pushing out some picks. Better roster balance at least.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Indiana Pacers