Roster construction

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Re: Roster construction 

Post#61 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:33 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:I honestly feel that y’all should start new around the young guy y’all traded for TH.

I would send out every long contract…

MB, BH and MT would all be sent out to clear the books.

Yeah draft picks will be coming back in but if I could move all of these players and add a pick, a very large ending contract and a young player on a cheap deal

Turner is only 26 and he's on the last year of his deal. Hield is 28 an has two years remaining and his contract declines year to year.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#62 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:42 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
AdonisDeMarion wrote:I honestly feel that y’all should start new around the young guy y’all traded for TH.

Yeah draft picks will be coming back in but if I could move all of these players and add a pick, a very large ending contract and a young player on a cheap deal

Turner is only 26 and he's on the last year of his deal. Hield is 28 an has two years remaining and his contract declines year to year.

And once TH is coming into his own they’ll be nearing 30 or over 30.

Turner will be 28 going on 29 and MB and BH will be 30 and over.

So I still say move them and start fresh
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,261

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:11 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

They might all get moved eventually, but definitely not all at once, and definitely not in a full on tank as you’re describing and advocating for. Our governor is 87 and has owned the team for almost 40 years. Add in that we hired Rick Carlisle and are paying him a ton, and we’re just not likely to full on tank early in a season. We’re all shocked that we held Brogdon and Turner out the last couple weeks and even just finished off a tank that injuries presented, rather than bringing them back and ending up around 10th in the lottery again.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#64 » by 8305 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:05 am

I’m excited by the Tuener/Hali pairing. Assume a little more offense is directed to Myles next year and there are more rebounds to get with more run and no Sabonis. Statistically what might Myles taking a step forward look like?
I’m a fan of effective 5th option guys. You don’t run any offense for them. They accept that and provide defense and toughness. I was intrigued by Sumner in this role but, for one reason or another it never took off. What about Terry Taylor? Saw something on the Athletic where they focused on tanking teams below the radar guys. Taylor was our guy. Thoughts on that possibility of Taylor in that role for us?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,231

Post#65 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:48 am

Taylor was a college center and he's still most comfortable as a small ball 5. I think the hope is that he can learn to be a PJ Tucker type 4 if not a 3.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#66 » by 8305 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:43 am

Wizop wrote:Taylor was a college center and he's still most comfortable as a small ball 5. I think the hope is that he can learn to be a PJ Tucker type 4 if not a 3.

I was hoping for Royce O’Neill/Herb Jones.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#67 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:55 am

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:Taylor was a college center and he's still most comfortable as a small ball 5. I think the hope is that he can learn to be a PJ Tucker type 4 if not a 3.

If we're dreaming, let's go with Barkley.

AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#68 » by AdonisDeMarion » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
AdonisDeMarion wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

They might all get moved eventually, but definitely not all at once, and definitely not in a full on tank as you’re describing and advocating for. Our governor is 87 and has owned the team for almost 40 years. Add in that we hired Rick Carlisle and are paying him a ton, and we’re just not likely to full on tank early in a season. We’re all shocked that we held Brogdon and Turner out the last couple weeks and even just finished off a tank that injuries presented, rather than bringing them back and ending up around 10th in the lottery again.

I still see no reason to wait, you got a young good to great player in TH. It’s time to move onward with the future and build out of the draft. I see great things for this team if they hit that reset button before the season starts
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:50 pm

8305 wrote:

Those guys are absolutely outstanding defenders. Taylor isn’t that. We can hope, but he’s good, not great, there.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 pm

8305 wrote:I’m excited by the Tuener/Hali pairing. Assume a little more offense is directed to Myles next year and there are more rebounds to get with more run and no Sabonis. Statistically what might Myles taking a step forward look like?
I’m a fan of effective 5th option guys. You don’t run any offense for them. They accept that and provide defense and toughness. I was intrigued by Sumner in this role but, for one reason or another it never took off. What about Terry Taylor? Saw something on the Athletic where they focused on tanking teams below the radar guys. Taylor was our guy. Thoughts on that possibility of Taylor in that role for us?

Sumner was really playing well and taking more of a role as that season went on. The reason it never “took off” is mainly because he blew his Achilles in preseason workouts. He was certainly excelling as the 5th option defensive focused and attacking with speed option.

As for Turner, it all depends on his confidence levels. He’s going to get the ball in positions to succeed, but he’s going to have to be confident in his shot and take it quickly. He’s not going to be a guy that’s going to create offense effectively, and I assume that he imagines his new role as the only center will involve him getting fed the ball in the post consistently (which won’t likely happen in a Carlisle offense). If he takes open shots with confidence, he’ll probably bump his ppg by a couple. If he continues to pass out of the offenses open shots, he’ll continue to put up what he has.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

Those guys are absolutely outstanding defenders. Taylor isn’t that. We can hope, but he’s good, not great, there.
Not yet. I will always be overly optimistic in the off-season.

Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:14 pm

Sumner has been rehabbing in Indy. There is a higher than zero chance he returns.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:I was hoping for Royce O’Neill/Herb Jones.

Maybe? But Herb Jones is a rookie and he's already up there in the league as one of the better overall defenders. So, Terry is WAAAAAY behind if that's the comparison/goal.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Maybe? But Herb Jones is a rookie and he's already up there in the league as one of the better overall defenders. So, Terry is WAAAAAY behind if that's the comparison/goal.
Actually Tucker was my original suggestion but agree he's got a lot to learn to be even a rotation player on a winning team.

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#75 » by Topofthekey » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:14 pm

I don't really agree with this

I know that the idea of building a squad comprising entirely of young players around the same age is very attractive to many people, but imo it's more fantasy than practical

For example, having all 8 of your rotational players peaking at the same time likely just means having 8 players all demanding to be paid. This is not a tenable construct at all

You ideally want something like a conveyor belt construction, kind of like a product assembly line, where you constantly have new parts entering the begining of the line, half assembled products in the middle of the line, and finished products rolling off the end of the line

Translated to an NBA roster, this means constantly having some productive rookies, some young players entering their primes, some experienced players nearing the end their primes, and some useful veterans past their prime, with each group continuing to grow and replacing the group in front of them while in turn being replaced by a new group behind them
Wizop
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:14 am

I didn't coin the term but it's the onion theory where older players peel off. Also remember that Reggie's team didn't take off until they added an older Byron Scott who told the locker room what it took
Hamburger
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#77 » by Hamburger » Mon May 30, 2022 11:38 pm

What do you guys think of playing Jackson at the 4 with Turner? Turner looked great in Carlisle's system. Letting him get lobs and dunks seemed to make him more confident in his shot, and harder to guard. If Jackson played 4, would he take all of Turners opportunities at the rim? Will one of them have to stand around and wait for their jumpshot? I'd love to have someone who can guard tall Unicorn shooters like Tatum and Durant. At least make them work a little. Can Jackson do that? Jackson blocks a lot of shots, but he does not make the difference Myles does in the paint. Can Jackson be an elite perimeter defender?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Tue May 31, 2022 12:00 am

Hamburger wrote:What do you guys think of playing Jackson at the 4 with Turner? Turner looked great in Carlisle's system. Letting him get lobs and dunks seemed to make him more confident in his shot, and harder to guard. If Jackson played 4, would he take all of Turners opportunities at the rim? Will one of them have to stand around and wait for their jumpshot? I'd love to have someone who can guard tall Unicorn shooters like Tatum and Durant. At least make them work a little. Can Jackson do that? Jackson blocks a lot of shots, but he does not make the difference Myles does in the paint. Can Jackson be an elite perimeter defender?

They've said from the beginning that they think he can become a 4. I look for him to get some minutes there this year.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 770

Post#79 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jun 7, 2022 4:59 am

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/

Found this for reference it shows cap numbers, and upcoming action dates. July is big for using 2 trade exceptions or letting them expire. Also contract guarantees for Washington and Taylor.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 7, 2022 11:08 am

Pacers Forever wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/

Found this for reference it shows cap numbers, and upcoming action dates. July is big for using 2 trade exceptions or letting them expire. Also contract guarantees for Washington and Taylor.

Yup. Spotrac is the best around right now, and updates quickly.

Return to Indiana Pacers