David West
Miles Plumlee

Pacers Get:

Jimmer Fredette
Marcus Thornton
Travis Outlaw
Thomas Robinson

Why the Kings do this:
The Kings have a log jam at shooting guard right now. Two of the King's three best players (Cousins, Evans, Thornton) play the same position. They need to move Thornton so Evans can play all of his minutes at SG rather than having him play PG and SF to accomodate for Thornton's minutes at SG.

What the Kings really need is a SF who can play defense and hit the 3. George fits that perfectly. He would be their third option behind Cousins and Evans which will take the offensive pressure off of George and allow him to relax and let the game come to him again.

The Kings also get 2 expiring contracts in Augustin and West which they can let go at the end of the year and give them more cap flexibility to extend Cousins and Evans.

Lastly, they get Plumlee who is a project. It is possible that he could eventually develop into an athletic, rebounding 4th big.

Here is the Kings rotation after the trade:

Brooks/Thomas/Augustin
Evans/Salmons/Garcia
George/Johnson/Honeycutt
Thompson/West/Hayes
Cousins/Plumlee

Why the Pacers do this:
In my opinion, the Pacers are stuck in that "make the playoffs, but never contend for a title" mode. The Pacers have a lot of good pieces but they really only have one go-to scorer (Granger). In this trade, the Pacers get Thornton who can be another go-to scorer next to Granger. He is another guy who can average 18-20 for them.

Pacers are giving up West and Augustin, but their contracts are expiring. There is no guarantee the Pacers bring them back due to Augustin's poor performance and West's age and if he is in the long term plans of the Pacers.

With that being said, the Pacers get Fredette who has shown nice improvements this year. He is shooting 46.3% from the floor and 41.7% from three. He is averagiing 21.6 PPG and 4.9 APG per 36 minutes. He would be a nice, young asset that would give us more production than Augustin has been giving us. Given Fredette's work ethic, it is not out of the question that he wrestles the starting position away from Hill. For now, he would give us a nice scoring punch off the bench on a very affordable rookie contract.

In addition, the Pacers receive Robinson who would immediately become their PF of the future. He has good potential which is evident by being selected in the top 5 this year. His skills would compliment Hibbert very well. Hibbert would bring size, shot-blocking, defense, rebounding, and a post-up game. Robinson would bring athleticism, defense, rebounding, and a face-up game.

The Pacers get some young assets to work with (Thornton - 25 years, Fredette - 23 years, Robinson - 21 years) and they all have significant time left on their contracts (Thornton - 3 years, Fredette - 4 years, Robinson - 5 years). I think this trade sets us up for the future. and leaves us in a good position.

Here is the Pacers rotation after the trade:

Hill/Fredette/Hansbrough
Thornton/Stephenson/Johnson
Granger/Green/Young/Outlaw
Robinson/Hansbrough/Pendergraph
Hibbert/Mahinmi
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: 2012/13 Random Trade Thoughts 

Post#182 » by Jake0890 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 10:16 pm

So we should dismantle our entire team? That would hurt more than help. were finally getting chemistry back on our team, let's not ruin it.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Post#183 » by Starkiller » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:07 pm

Those guys aren't worth Paul George by himself, awful trade.
This ^
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#184 » by chube » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 am

^^^ Agreed.

We'd lose PG who is worth more than all four of those guys, a freak athlete in Plumlee who I think can contribute once given the opportunity, and two expiring contracts for...Outlaw who has a bloated contract and his done absolutely nothing since his glimpses of promise in Portland, Thomas Robinson who may be good down the pike but not overtake PG, and two one-trick offensive ponies in Thornton and Fredette.

God bless ya for trying, but that's a definite no.
Train7492
Junior
And1: 4

Post#185 » by Train7492 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 pm

I know this is not going to sit to well with alot of people but I was trying to see what we might be able to get for our scrubs. I'm not a real Beasley fan but would it really hurt to have 1 bad person on this team. Maybe West could straighten him out, I think it would be worth taking a chance on if we could get him in a deal like this.

DJ, Green, Hansbraugh / Beasley, O'Neal, Marshall

Marshall would be the incentive for taking on Beasley. It all depends on how bad they want to move Beasley.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#186 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 am

Would anyone do this?

Indy trade:
Augustin + Green + Hansbrough

Atlanta trade:
Harris + Stevenson + (Johnson or Tolliver)

Just trying to figure out a way to re-roll the back-up PG and wing roles it looks like we might've whiffed on. Maybe Green needs some time, not sure. Stevenson would be starter right away and knows how to win, Harris would become 6th man and be decent.

Thoughts?
Crowman
Junior
And1: 2

Post#187 » by Crowman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 am

Yes i would do that instantly

Harris could be a really good option atlanta are quite stacked in the guard area.

Stevenson is good aswell plays hard and can hit the 3 ball

Johnson is all hustle and does the dirty work.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#188 » by Jajwanda » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 am

What would it take to get Granger and Hansbrough? Perhaps a three-way Gasol deal?
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#189 » by Pacersike » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 am

Jajwanda wrote:What would it take to get Granger and Hansbrough? Perhaps a three-way Gasol deal?

Which Hansbrough? The younger one is gonna cost u... :lol:

A younger SG that can score and handle the ball very well.
Like Gordon, Ellis, Evans, Turner...

Sprinkled with another big body to replace Tyler until Plumlee is ready to take over.

I like Gasol a lot, but he is just too damn expensive for a small market team and I think he will be most effective at the center position, where we already have a pretty good one, who is younger.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#190 » by Jake0890 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:38 pm

No way for Gasol. He can never produce and never stay healthy. And with his contract., it makes it even worse. Never for Gasol.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#191 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:Would anyone do this?

Indy trade:
Augustin + Green + Hansbrough ....

Thoughts?

for a bag of wet noodles. I don't need to know what we get back to say yes.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#192 » by chube » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:40 pm

According to the Wiretap, the Bobcats will be making Gerald Henderson very available. Obviously, a first sign points to Tyler Hansbrough (and his brother for that matter) since they have major ties to the area.
laydo
Junior
And1: 2

Post#193 » by laydo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c76yllv

Lakers
Trade: Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks
Get: Josh Smith, Trevor Ariza

Wizards
Trade: Trevor Ariza, 2nd round pick
Get: Gerald Green, D.J. Augustin

Hawks
Trade: Josh Smith, Devin Harris
Get: Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks, 2nd round pick from WAS

Pacers
Trade: Gerald Green, D.J. Augustin
Get: Devin Harris

For LAL
Josh Smith, a friend of Howard, would be better fit than Pau Gasol under D'Antoni's system. Also, Magic Johnson said that Lakers needs "D" so Trevor Ariza could help.

For WAS
They need a true point guard, and Augustin may be the answer. Sure that D.J. stinks in Indiana, but that's because Vogel likes to play deffense, which is D.J.'s big problem.

For ATL
It looks like J-Smooth not willing to stay there and so is Harris since they have Teague and Lou-Will. Pau Gasol, a better low-post player than Smith, would help Al Horford, who does not like to play at center all the time.

For IND
We get a scorer, Devin Harris, who's capable to start and can creat his own shot. And we could sign a backup wing player, such as Dominic McGuire, Damion James, Jamario Moon, or Al Thornton.

Hibbert / Mahinmi / Plumlee
West / Hansbrough / Pendergraph
Granger / Young / McGruire(or someone)
George / Stephenson / Johnson
Hill / Harris / Hansbrough

Not bad for a team challenge the Eastern title, huh? :wink:
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#194 » by Jake0890 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

We send two players to get one mediocre backup guard in return, and are still going to have to pickup an aging 3-pt shooter? I don't see the value in it for us.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#195 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Jake0890 wrote:We send two players to get one mediocre backup guard in return, and are still going to have to pickup an aging 3-pt shooter? I don't see the value in it for us.

Have you been watching the same Pacers we have? The upgrade from Augustin to Harris alone is worth moving Green, who isn't living up to $3.5m. For me, back-up point-guard has been one of Indy's primary issues this season.

Having said that, not sure ATL would do this, I think Ferry values the long-term flexibility and Gasol just ruins it.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#196 » by Jake0890 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:57 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:We send two players to get one mediocre backup guard in return, and are still going to have to pickup an aging 3-pt shooter? I don't see the value in it for us.

Have you been watching the same Pacers we have? The upgrade from Augustin to Harris alone is worth moving Green, who isn't living up to $3.5m. For me, back-up point-guard has been one of Indy's primary issues this season.

Having said that, not sure ATL would do this, I think Ferry values the long-term flexibility and Gasol just ruins it.

I would love to have Harris as a backup PG, but its not worth Green at this point because B Hans has been playing decent. If we give Green, we have to get more than Harris back.
Train7492
Junior
And1: 4

Post#197 » by Train7492 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I would be a fan going after Cousins for the right price, its not like he is on a big contract. Next year he is going to have to straighten up if he want a good contract. West i believe has what it would take to keep him in line. I'm sure they will get some decent offers for him, with all the talent he has, still young and dumb we have all been there but just not in the spotlight. Winning would make a big change on their attitudes.

Granger, Mahinmi, Augustin, ? , 1st / Cousins, Evans, Salmons

Adding the bad contract of Salmons make the other 2 lose some value.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#198 » by Grang33r » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:29 am

Not a trade idea, but i see Washington has signed Shelvin Mack again, whom they cut prior to the season. Why didn't the Pacers try to sign him? No way he's worse then Ben Hansbrough.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#199 » by Pacersike » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:01 am

Train7492 wrote:I would be a fan going after Cousins for the right price, its not like he is on a big contract. Next year he is going to have to straighten up if he want a good contract. West i believe has what it would take to keep him in line. I'm sure they will get some decent offers for him, with all the talent he has, still young and dumb we have all been there but just not in the spotlight. Winning would make a big change on their attitudes.

Granger, Mahinmi, Augustin, ? , 1st / Cousins, Evans, Salmons

Adding the bad contract of Salmons make the other 2 lose some value.

Hard to say no with the inclusion of Evans and the 1st :)

About Cousins, he is a center (we have Hibbert) and a very lousy defensive center and teammate. Only he can change his attitude and that is very hard to do at his age. I easily pass on him to have other teams deal with his mental issues.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#200 » by jarryd3107 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Grang33r wrote:Not a trade idea, but i see Washington has signed Shelvin Mack again, whom they cut prior to the season. Why didn't the Pacers try to sign him? No way he's worse then Ben Hansbrough.

I thought the same thing when I saw the headline. I think Ben Hansbrough has been terrible, surely cutting him before Jan. 1 and giving Mack a shot could've been worth the gamble? Guess not.

Return to Indiana Pacers